FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi Folks,

As subject (and it was tough not to title the post something less polite about the perpetrator!) this is just a little reminder of the security advice I’m sure you’ve heard.

To cut a long story short, we’d been watching videos on Saturday night and were just about to fall asleep on the sofa when I heard odd noises outside, followed closely by the unmistakable sound of breaking glass and then of course, a car alarm. I looked around the curtain to see a shadowy figure making off from my car leaving the driver’s side front window in a thousand tiny pieces on the pavement (and seat, foot-well etc.).

I consider myself to be relatively vigilant regarding valuables in the car; if anything of value is left in there it’s normally in the boot, and I’ve heard all the warnings of people breaking into cars to steal sat-nav units and camera detectors alongside the old favourites of stereos and bags etc. As such I don’t leave my sat-nav on display, but as I’ve got a fixed-cradle for it mounted on the vents at the top of the centre-console this much is normally in the car. I had credited thieves with at least a couple of brain-cells though, thinking that someone of this type would be able to spot that the mount itself is empty and largely useless. It seems I was wrong though, as someone ran-off to find themselves with a piece of plastic which would serve no purpose; leaving us with a few hours of clearing-up broken glass, a bit of a bill for repair, and the knowledge that some horrible individual has been inside my car.

Like I say, I’m sure you’ve all heard the advice about removing your gadgets and gizmos from the car along with anything else of value, but it seems this should also extend to things which you might’ve thought wouldn’t be so attractive. Needless to say that a replacement cradle for my sat-nav will most likely be window-mounted and also removed every time I leave the car.

Anyway, be on your guard folks…

All the best,

Rob.

Unlucky mate. I never leave any thing on view inside the car and always leave the light on at my front door.

I've been thinking of getting a small camera for the front of the house too that plays through the tv. I think I'll maybe get it sooner rather than later now.

Hearing too much of this sort of thing on lots of forums.:motz:

I never leave the cradle for my Navman in my car, and always wipe away the mark it leaves behind on the glass, it's coming upto Xmas guys, and the nights are getting dark earlier, which the thieves love, so be vigilant as mentioned above.

Unlucky Rob, hope they get what they deserve... :gun2:

that's just crap, why can't people leave other peoples property alone?

anyway, if you're thinking of a camera system i use a cheap infrared camera from Maplins coupled to a tv tuner card in my pc. that plays through a bit of free software called catspy, nifty bit of kit that monitors the field of vision and starts recording when it detects any movement, for example, when a security light comes on. the beauty of it is because it buffers the feed you can actually start it to record before it detects the movement so you can see the whole episode.

the other bonus is i have a dummy MSN messenger account that runs on my pc all the time which is set to auto accept requests so when i'm away from home i just log on to messenger, start the webcam of the dummy account and i can see what's happening at home, cost about 40 quid in total

The folk that do this should be considered as rats as you're never more than a few miutes away from them.

It's common knowledge up here that they now look for the sucker mark on the window, if there's is one there they'll be in and out yer car in seconds during whuch time they've checked yer glovebox, under your seats, door pockets, centre arm rest and rear armrest. If you have access through your rear armrest to the boot they'll have a good feel around in there too.

Unlucky F1, thieving toss pots.

Have you thought about getting a poison toad to guard your nav craddle.

poisondartfrog.jpg

[ytv]geynA-JYDHE[/ytv]

This should work!:o.k:

Cheers for your comments folks.

TDI, Lottie, Karl - thanks for your suggestions! I did start to think of home-made additional security systems and I've gotta say I like the idea of the Monkey! Maybe he could be taught to drive as well, sort of an advanced cruise-control system - that way I could get some extra sleep on the way to work!

Rob.

Hardlines Rob .........hope your insurance claims are straight forward.....

anyway, if you're thinking of a camera system i use a cheap infrared camera from Maplins coupled to a tv tuner card in my pc. that plays through a bit of free software called catspy, nifty bit of kit that monitors the field of vision and starts recording when it detects any movement, for example, when a security light comes on. the beauty of it is because it buffers the feed you can actually start it to record before it detects the movement so you can see the whole episode.

the other bonus is i have a dummy MSN messenger account that runs on my pc all the time which is set to auto accept requests so when i'm away from home i just log on to messenger, start the webcam of the dummy account and i can see what's happening at home, cost about 40 quid in total

Dave were did you get this any links?..i hve been looking at a system but i is in the region of £180 and £40 sounds much better

just a pinnacle tv tuner card, you have to make sure it's got a video input so you can record from a seperate source, costs about 25 quid. i got mine from CCL online

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=17523&category_id=487&manufacturer_id=0&tid=vs-dvb-t210se this one would do it

then a cheap black and white camera, anything will do. thinking about it mine has a scart plug on the end but i just got a convertor to the composite plugs for a couple of quid.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30-LED-Colour-CCTV-Indoor-Outdoor-Security-Camera-UK_W0QQitemZ160185287432QQihZ006QQcategoryZ48632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i've also had my old cam-corder plugged into it as well which was cool because it's got remote zoom etc

Sorry to hear that Rob. Hope it all gets (or got) sorted with minimal disruption. Hopefully they'll get theirs' in plenty full...with seconds.

Hope everything else is good with you fella.

Rob

I have also put a camera outside my house, it connected up to a DVR card (which can be bought off of ebay for about 2 quid) although mine is a pro one.
It streams the video to the web and the program (active webcam) can email you if it senses movement, then you can log on and see whats up.
You could even attach a webcam and negate the need for a DVR card.

I went down that route because I wanted a mil-spec camera to be mounted outdoors, and its an analogue camera so i need to convert the signal to something the computer can use.
The camera a bought was a sony that can see in total darkness, if you want any help (if you want to install cctv) then let me know.
An investment of 300 quid could help you catch any thieves/burglars, and that is priceless.