Buying advise needed

spaceace

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the site (again) and in the past I've owned a 1.8E B4, a 2.2 B3 coupe and a 2.3 B4 coupe, all 3 were great cars in their own ways.

I'm currently looking to replace my mk1 golf with something thats more acustomed to eating the motorway miles.

I'm on a limited budget, I've got £2700-3000 to spend, would prefer an estate with good MPG...maybe automatic.

We also do a lot of family camping so I'm not adverse to a big 'un ;)

I would prefer a C5 2.5TDI and there seems to be the odd one around for the top end of my money.

There seems to be a lot of 80,100/A6 estates around too....some LPG and Diesel

Also there are lots of A4 Avants around.

What do ppl think would be the best buy out of that lot ?

Are there any buyers guides or pitfalls ?

TIA
Jay

Best estate for your kind of money imo would be a Passat TDI, plenty around so you should be able to pick up a nice tidy one for 3k

Thanks for that. I've been put off the Passat as a friend has has lots of problems with his B5.5 Passat estate

Thing is its the same car as the audi's anyway, just ur luck as with everythign else i suppose

what about an old shape C class merc diesel? bombproof

yes I guess the platform is the same for the Passat and Audi.

I did see the the Mercs seemed to be good value but most are coming up to 200K at that price....not sure how much of an issue that would be.

spaceace said:
Thanks for that. I've been put off the Passat as a friend has has lots of problems with his B5.5 Passat estate

My Passat Estate TDI has been brilliant! with only the usual MAF sensor, brake light switch and temp sensor going on the last year, done almost 150k miles, and all those parts I changed myself.
It's definitely the best value for your budget, it's actually based on the A6 platform, but the size is in between A4 and A6, you will find loads more leg room in a Passat B5/B5.5 than any A4 Avant, so if space is more priority than badge/styling, Passat is an excellent choice.

134-3444_IMG.jpg

I guess as always its a case of buying on condition, the engines are strong depends how much of the suspension's been replaced and what kind of state the interior is in etc

I have to say tho if you do a few miles i prob wouldnt buy somethin over 150k