Police Tailgators

retired_audi

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This has happened to me twice now, a few months back (pre-Audi) when I was still at university in Aberystwyth at 3:00 in the morning travelling back to my dorm I had a car right up my ****, in my rear view it looked like a taxi so I decided to speed up a bit and try and lose him, no mean feat in a rover, going up a hill. Anyway I sped up to about 47 on a 40, and then the taxi turned into a police car, and I got done for speeding =(.

Yesturday at about 11:30, back home in Surrey driving down "The Red Road" I had someone right up my ****, I just assumed they were chavs, as "The Red Road" is notorious for accidents, and it was also very slippy, I thought what moron would be that close to someone in these conditions. Luckily despite having the 2.0T under my bonnet I just slammed on the brakes, taking Adelaide down from 60 to 40 and the guy backed off.

When I got to the next roundabout I noticed the guy behind was a police car!

I swear this is one of their little tactics, so be warned, has anyone else had a similar experience?

I've found that if you're misbehaving they'll come right up behind you for a few minutes to

a)get a chance to take a constant speed reading from your car

b)give you the chance to see it's a police car and slow down

Can they do that? I would have thought that it is classed as entrapment.
Mind you slamming on the anchors would be great.

You shouldn't change your driving style for anybody. If it's a police car or a taxi you should keep to the limit. I doubt the cops would have been pleased that you brake tested them. If they went up your rear, yes it would be their fault for following too closely, but you would probably get done for careless driving, and without witnesses to back your end of the story up, you'd be bent over pretty quick.

You go as fast as is safe (and legal) for the conditions. Let everyone else worry about getting past if they think you're too slow.

I had someone in the car with me at the time, and it wouldnt be my fault that a deer ran into the road :sob:

Of course without knowing facts like that, one could make all kinds of assumptions. :)

In my experience, they're so far up your **** that you can't even make out the lights on top of their car - nothing to do with getting an average speed reading as this is done with VASCAR as you pass between 2 fixed points on the road, and certainly nothing to do with seeing it's a police car, in fact it's usually the exact opposite at night.

Yup happened to me very recently, thought "what the hell, am I towing them or something?" (about 3am btw) could barely see headlights (thats how close) and I had to look REALLY hard to finally see the light bar on top (when the light from a street lamp JUST caught it!) I would have tried to shake them off after a bit so I'm glad I realised!

I had something very much the same happen to me a few years back when i had a mini clubman (was a very slow one lol) late at night there was a car pushing me down a dual carrage way so obviously i had to play lol and it turned out to be an unmarked police car, He stopped me and had a chat he turned out to be a cool cop was just taking the **** out of my car calling it slow lol, He let me go no charge and said better luck next time, Id love to se him in his vectra now lol..

Oh and also I've had a police car in front of me (2am) with no cars around (in a 30mph) doing about 10mph occasionally speeding up..then slowing down (meanwhile I'm getting rather f**ked off as I just want to get home rather than play these games) this goes on for about a mile then he turns off. I assume he either wanted me to overtake stupidly or was testing if I could keep a constant distance (to see if I was drunk or something) either way a bit annoying.

I had a Skoda RS tailgating me on the m40 south, had seen a unmarked skoda rs on the m5 nicking someone, so caution prevailed.......

she was a pretty thing driving :hubbahubba: but still had flack jacket type costume on and left me alone once she realised I clocked her.... it was broad daylight and she wanted rear entry ...... but totally the wrong way round for me.....:whip:

Regardless of whether the car behind is a police car or not, it's never a good idea to increase your speed when someone tailgates you. If it's a moron in a hurry, they'll just speed up as well, thus increasing the danger still further. And if it's a police car, you get nicked.

If I think someone is so close they're a hazard, I'll usually just slow down gently until they pass, but if they persist, I have been known to brake-test them while checking the mirror carefully for their reaction. One bozo recently spilled the coffee he was carrying all over his crotch.

Back when my dad worked for porsche he used to get people tailgating him all the time. So sometimes he used to drop it down a couple of gears and put the rear fog lights on so with the engine braking it looked like you were slowing down. Then he would boot it an leave them confused :rockwoot:

Had plod in a transit van doing the following far to close yestersday on the way to work, have to admit I'd booted it out of junction and then a few mph over the limit, but dropped it back to the limit pretty quick when noticed - approx 200 metres or so after the junction. Thought plod was a bit silly (and he looked no older then 20 !) as far too close on occasion and considering road was wet, if I had done an emegency stop (which I did consider at one point) a transit van would not have stopped in the distance. Just put it down to a young policeman on a power trip !
Richard

Had some bellend of a policeman in a 5 series doing 10 mph in a residential area for over two minutes despite the road being completely dead (it was 3AM in Deptford, SE London), then all of a sudden putting siren on and booting it. Saw him again down the same stretch of road later and he decided he was going to go straight through a series of red lights (no sirens on at this point). He then resumed his 10 mph crawl before pulling into a petrol station with no indication, almost causing me to rear end him.

He didn't take too kindly to me pressing the horn, and promptly gave chase. Was obviously bored and wanted to collar someone and thought I was the perfect guy, seeing as I'm young and have an S3. In the end, he "let me off", but only after I castrated him for his aforementioned cuntishness.