Internet Business

TQS

Reaction score
Hi

I'm probably in the wrong place but i'm just wondering if any of you guys run a website or have any experience in managing a domain (obv Olly may be able to help?!)??

I'm just costing out the viability of starting a new website that will be a portal for advertising online - ie i will attract people to the site and companies will be advertising on it - visitors may then click through to to purchase if the advertiser has a website.

I'm don't anticipate that it will be too complex a site at the moment but where could i find out what it would cost to host the site (can i host it myself?), maintain / amend the site perhaps monthly and perhaps run a forum although this could be some way down the line.
Any ballpark figures would be greatly appreciated... feel free to PM me

Thanks a lot fpr any pointers in the right direction!

.co.uk can cost £2.50 per year check out 123-reg.com you can get control of where you want to point your website to and set-up a couple of mail address. They also do 'packages' that include webspace, design, support etc for a monthly charge. For the space they may charge you premium if you are selling ad space on them so check the small print. For a website template check out templatemonster.com

Cheers Jester - the domain name i need has been secured.
Any idea about monthly running costs?
If my site contains advertising and these ads need to maintained/updated would it be best to employ a third party to do this or is it quite straightforward assuming they use 'my' template?

Taking 123-reg as an example anything from £9.00 per month to £50.00 as said you need to double check that there is no penalties for the ad space you are looking to sell.

For the maintenance, either you can offer this service to your clients for a 'nominal monthly maintenance fee' or you need to have a content template script set-up for them to use on the fly via FTP or other format.

Is it straightforward; depends on what you are allowing them to upload, if it is just a simple jpeg with all the info then yes. If is various pictures, plus some text carefully laid out on a company based background then no.

You could employ a 3rd party, but then whats the point as your profits will be going to them instead of in your back burner for that little bit of extra work, plus it makes you learn what goes on so later on in life it should be easier.

Thanks - as i said, i'm just starting out so any advice is very much appreciated!
Just trying to put together some costings so will take all into account... including my purchase of an Idiot's Guide to t'internet!

Hi 123-reg.com or go daddy.com are excellent places to purchase a domain name. As for hosting I recommend host monster.com