Average Speed Camera's!!£%$

Jampublic

Taking it easy..
Reaction score
Please I need to know why I seem to be the only person doing the correct speed when ever I am driving in an 'Average Speed Camera' section of motorway or dual carriage way!

Am I missing out on some information that everyone else know's and I do not? :(

Now whether it be the M4, M1 or A14 in different ASC area's everyone seems to overtake me, then slow for the camera's! :wacko: Surely everyone know's what the word 'average' means! :think:

Or are the rest of todays road user's unaware what the word average means and are racking up points like they are going out of fashion!

Have you been caught on an average speed camera section? Do they work? Surely they must work! :detective2:

Thanks for reading, let me know if I am the only one or if there are others out just as much in the dark about ASC sections! :sorry:

I think it's more because of the error in your cars speedo and then the deliberate error in the cutoff speed for the cameras. 50 mph is an indicated 54 in mine, plus a handful of mph for the cameras, makes almost 60.

Alternatively, human stupidity knows no bounds.

I personally think this is the only kind of camera that works as a road safety device. All the other cameras simply mean that people slow down for a moment before the camera and then speed off after they have passed. This kind of camera surfing causes accidents in my opinion.

When I see the Specs cameras I always make sure I stick just a little below the posted maximum speed just to make sure my average isn't above the limit.

I always whack on my cruise control thru ASC zones. But I've heard that if you change lanes, you can't be done!?!? Something about the camera's being "Paired" on a lane basis, so if you hit camera set 1 in the outside lane, and then pass camera set 2 in the middle lane, you can't get done. You have to be checked by the pair of camera's in the outside lane. Dunno how much truth is in that, might just be one of those urban legends.

I have to admit that I normally go through the 50mph ones on the motorway with 54 on the speedo as I know that this will translate (thanks to road angel) to an actual speed of 50mph. I've also heard the one about swapping lanes - and I have to admit that I do swap lanes if I have the opportunity as a contingency measure - but I agree, it could just be an urban myth.

So these camera's work then!

I guess the speedo suggestion is valid, but i am not talking about a 5mph different in the speed of other vehicles! More like 10mph + where car's and vans just cruise past me! Then brake a little for the camera and carry on! :faint:

On works trips in the van, I am also a fan of hitting cruise control and enjoy the ride! :) Maybe the next mod for the Audi! ;)

the lane swapping technique works apparantly, i read about it on pepipoo a while back. the avarage speed cameras are only licensed for use by the government in one lane as they can't as yet corrolate data from one camera with another successfully. i would imagine it's only a matter of time though

The first I ever drove on the M1 from nottingham back to london, I got two speeding fines done with the ****** average speed checks!!

I thought 64 on the M-way 11o clock at night was quite slow, guess the cameras didn't think so!

I don't think that specs cameras are particularly safe as they keep all vehicles at the same speed which has the effect of removing the gaps in the traffic

They remove all the random braking and accellerating tho, meaning you can run through at a nice steady speed most of the time.