Fuel prices

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Copy and pasted from another site.

I only ever fill up at either Tesco's for diesel or Shell for V-power or normal unleaded.

Maybe this would work? Had it in an e-mail today.

We are hitting 95p a litre in some areas now, soon we will be faced with paying £1 a litre. Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work.

Please read it and join in!

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market place not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the
idea:

For the rest of this year DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!!

Now, don't wimp out on me at this point... keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda,Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso

I always buy at Shell anyway so i'm already onboard. Would be nice if this works cos its 99.9P a litre now round my way.

Its a £1.05.9 for petrol and £1.10.9 for diesel here, f***ing ridiculous.

Just as well I dont use the S4 everyday!

That's rubbish anyway. Retailing fuel is point fu@k all of their profits. How many refineries do you think Tesco own? If you're buying fuel anywhere from the south west it likely came from Fawley (an ExxonMobil refinery). Anywhere in Scotland it came from Grangemouth. The only way you are going to bring the cost down is to buy less oil-based products. The consumer is already deciding the market, and by this I mean the global consumer. Demand > supply, therefore prices go up. OPEC is pumping about as much as they can, do you honestly think they won't go to 100% when the oil price is almost 100% above their stated target of $50 - $55? The oil companies have little to no control over the price either. Daily demand is ~ 80 million bopd, and how much do you think ExxonMobil & BP produce between them? Less than 8 million. So that is less than 10% of total daily production coming from the two "majors" mentioned. ExxonMobil only ever say they are the largest publicly listed oil company (although BP might be now). Saudi Aramco are by far the largest. Their output is probably over 10 million bopd now.

Stop consuming everything and prices will go down. Don't buy christmas crackers with crappy plastic horses and combs in which get binned straight away. Use fewer carrier bags. Use less power. If you actually care, you, and every other consumer on this planet needs to drastically change their behaviour.

And on that note I'm going to arrange a service for my 3.2 TT as I know me driving that versus a GWiz makes no difference.

Wasn't it the chief of BP who said something like "we only sell fuel to get people in the shop so they buy a Mars Bar"?

The oil companies are raking it in, its the actual retailers that earn didly from it! Of course the government are making in tax the equivalent of a small countries GDP too. The annoying thing with their tax policy is that the rises were decided upon some years ago when oil barrel prices were much lower, the current price is way above their estimates so they're making even more than they anticipated in tax revenue from this whole fiasco. Handy really given the shoddy state of our nation & the stupid burdens the EU forces upon us!!

I stopped driving to work in favour of the train last month when my car share buddy left. Its only a little cheaper than the fuel i'd use in a month but it saves 1k mileage a month which is good!

I dont think any of the above would work as it's all been tried before anyhow!
what if the nearest fuel station is a BP?ESSO and its a further 20 or 30 miles out of your way to get SHELL fuel? and your fuel is nearly out! are you seriously saying you'd make that trek of maybe 50 miles or so to buy said fuel? Your Mad!!!

besides it's the TAX that bumps our prices right up anyway, according to the RAC and AA and other motoring associations we already have cheaper fuel prices that other countries ( based on levels of inflation, salaries earned etc)

ITS ALL BOLLOKS! We need fuel....... We buy fuel.... what's the big fuss?

personally i drive like a nutter (according to friends) and i average 250 miles to £60 so what! i enjoy it.
If, however i was thinking "this is costing too much" then perhaps it would be time to trade the Audi in for a 3cyl 25hp piece of korean built shi**.

I just think it's a total waste of time trying to boycot fuel stations in any way,
besides "I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... ..

THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Acting together we can make a difference If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on."

whats to say this message wont be repeated on 50% of these people anyway so the projected math in that probably wont add up.

well i see the majority of the cost for fuel as being tax..

This breakdown of the price of petrol is based on the assumption of a £1 per litre of petrol.

* Petrol Fuel Duty - 48.35p
* VAT (17.5%) - 14.9p
* Refinery Petrol Costs - 31.75p
* Forecourt Costs - 3p
* Forecourt Profit - 2p

This means that the forecourt is 5%, the oil cost is ~32% and taxation ~63% of the total cost as can be seen more clearly below:

Taxation at a whopping 63%!!!!

there's the fuel duty PLUS VAT on top of that.. thats who the real stealers are!!

nickel101 said:

This breakdown of the price of petrol is based on the assumption of a £1 per litre of petrol.

* VAT (17.5%) - 14.9p
* Forecourt Costs - 3p
* Forecourt Profit - 2p

This means that the forecourt is 5%, the oil cost is ~32% and taxation ~63% of the total cost as can be seen more clearly below:

there's the fuel duty PLUS VAT on top of that.. thats who the real stealers are!!
Robbing c*nts.

tractorman said:

Snap - couldnt belive it when I was faced with these prices on the weekend!

Add to that it would actually be illegal for them to do that (get to 69p/litre) - they would be selling at a loss (which no-one will do) or they have to subsidise their downstream retailing (which is a different business) from their downstream refining, which is manipulating the market. The product prices for petrol etc. out of the refinery are determined globally. The amount of profit a refinery makes depends on how much crappy high sulpher (and therefore cheaper) crude it can process. Just like an oil company can't sell it's oil to it's own refinery on the cheap - they're separate businesses.

I know you didn't come up with this, and I'm trying not to come over too harsh. Whoever came up with this deserves to be shot come the revolution though, or at least sterilised.

nickel101 said:

* VAT (17.5%) - 14.9p
* Forecourt Costs - 3p
* Forecourt Profit - 2p

Yep - and we are paying with the ~55% of our money left after the licenced crooks (=HMG) have relieved us of our tax :mad:

Just come from Germany where I was able to get cheap fuel via the Army, paid about 65c for a litre of V-Power which equates to prolly 40p so seeing the prices here, its horrendous, would love to know where all this money goes...

On the plus point, I walk loads more now cos Im a tight fisted git.

I had the misfortune of having to buy some BP Ultimate at the M1 services near Donington Park on Saturday. 112.9p a litre!

The government are creaming the motorist,what ever happened to prudence and stability that brown was always banging on about when he was chancellor.The new chancellor mr darling should reduce the tax on fuel to keep the price at or around 90p per litre which they could well afford.After all every dollar brent crude goes up the government creams more tax off the oil companies operating in the north sea.

Will he do it will he F--k then they'll be whining about inflation and the bank of England will have to put up interest rates.

scrupes said:
personally i drive like a nutter (according to friends) and i average 250 miles to £60 so what! i enjoy it.

That's like under 20mpg if you calculate it at £1/litre, some heavy foot you got there. :racer::respekt:

Thats what Im getting aswell!! My record is 156miles to a tank and the light came on....!! Mostly town driving and thrashing I will confess!

One of our local hauliers spent around £1m on fuel last year, thats about £500,000 on tax.......

And does it go back into the roads like it should, like f**k it does!!

I got the email too, and am a permanent Shell customer anyway. But I'm not sure this will work.

The companies will not lower prices because that will mean they may not break even. If anything they'll raise their prices to punish the people who either only go to that garage in their town, or because they didn't get this email.

It's the government who are raping us. And what's worse, the money we pay doesn't even go back into the road network.

We need either some riots or for everyone to stop using their vehicles for a week. See how quickly the businesses of the country come to their knees.... I think by about 11am when no one shows up cos the train is late or the bus is full!!

30% drop in the FTSE oughtta do it!

tractorman said:

You don't happen to live in Aberdeenshire do you?

I know a lot of people slate the French but at least they know how to have a ****** good bit of civil unrest (aka a riot!) to get those prinks in the government to listen?

I'd have to agree with you there shades but unlike the french government
british governments tend not to cave in at the first sign of civil unrest.

I agree the price of oil has gone up but we dont pay a pre detrmined amout of tax on fuel its a percentage and as the price from the refinery rises slightly with the oil prices, the government rub there hands, they do have the power to reduce the tax on fuel to the amount they require, but its never done, everything in ths country is goin up in price, we are even having a lending crisis, the economy isnt looking to bright for the future, with all these price and cost rises in our life style, there is no sight of wages/salary rises to compliment them. Is our economy in trouble??????

Biglockie said:
Is our economy in trouble??????

!! YES !!

There are some ruff times ahead of some people that are up to their eyes in mortgage payments etc etc.

Markey said:
!! YES !!

There are some ruff times ahead of some people that are up to their eyes in mortgage payments etc etc.
They should of thought about interest rises when thay took the mortgage out,but sadly alot of people didnt and just thought house prices was going up forever so couldnt loose.
Quite alot of reposessions are expected this year.
Good news for some but bad for others.

james0808 said:
They should of thought about interest rises when thay took the mortgage out,but sadly alot of people didnt and just thought house prices was going up forever so couldnt loose.
Quite alot of reposessions are expected this year.
Good news for some but bad for others.

Yes and we are about to be dealt a similair blow as the american market, although i dont believe its on the same scale, due to the looming sub prime mortgage crisis, the bank of england is apprently planning to make three reductions next year in the intrest rates due to the fuel price rises, food price rises and the loans problems. Think we are in for a tough 12 months

The American public are complaining bitterly about paying $3 dollars per gallon for unleaded petrol which = 39p per litre if only we were so lucky.

i just fill up at shell using v-power diesel costs ****** £1.07p so im on board i guess

I'm not even using my S3 with the current fuel prices, I did fill it up with V-Power just before it hit £1/litre, now it's most probably going to sit in the garage over winter lol. Diesel is 104.9/litre at Tesco's but I usually have a 5p off voucher which save me £2.50 per tank in my Passat which does around 40mpg. :)

DIPS_A4 said:
i just fill up at shell using v-power diesel costs ****** £1.07p so im on board i guess

Lucky you, v-power diesel is £1.11 by me (although that was earlier in the week so probably £1.12 by now at least!)

tris88 said:
Lucky you, v-power diesel is £1.11 by me (although that was earlier in the week so probably £1.12 by now at least!)

Yup lucky me mate thats harsh £1.11 im just filling up normal shell diesel now and not doing stupid run arounds let all start making home made diesel! lol

Indeed...possible to import fuel for personal use? :idea:

Ive started looking into running a diesel car partially on old vegetable oil, seems stupidly simple....

tractorman said:
£1.11.9 for normal diesel in Esso station in my local town today.

Wow your really being bent over in your area then :asskicking: , that made me stop feeling sorry for myself!