Windows help needed

MikeS4

MikeS4
Reaction score
Just wanted to run this by any Windows experts out there...

I've started getting these messages on startup or when attempting to start Windows Defander:

"Windows Defender User Interface has encountered a problem and needs to close now."

I'm not running any additional spyware other then Defender, any ideas?

And yes i have tried switching it off & on :think:

try removing it altogether and reinstalling.

lol sorry i cant be of more help

tried that & installed all the updates but still getting the same message....

When you uninstall it are you checking to see if the registry keys have been removed?

Also worth thinking about any software/new hardware drivers you have installed recently incase they are causing a conflict

Windows defender is next to useless, I can *find* you a copy of something better. Where in london are you?

Just tried reinstalling service pack & then ran the spyware s/w but still getting the warning message. I've been thinking of going for a fresh install of Vista, it might breath some life nto my tired old pc.

Cheers for the advice..

This is a bit of a good one. It could be something and nothing or it could be a real PITA to track down...

I guess if there's talk of Service Packs you're most likely running XP at the moment? Have you made any other config. changes recently at all? Also, I take it Windows Defender has worked at some point and has now died, or is it a new install of Defender that's not worked from day one?

As has been said in the advice above, Windows Defender isn't really the most bullet-proof solution anyway; and one possible cause of it not working is that one 'nasty' or another has got in and broke it on purpose. To that end it might be worth scanning with something like PC Tools Spyware Doctor - that one's not free (officially anyway!), but you can run a trial version that will scan for free (just won't remove anything until it's unlocked) and that might help figure out if it's malware that's broken Defender. Just don't panic too much if it says it's found infections and they turn out to be cookies, so long as you delete those yourself there's not really much harm can come from them (and it's not worth buying Spyware Doctor just for that) - but it may show up something else.

Also, on the subject of putting Vista on... Two concerns here - if your machine is at the 'tired old PC' end of the scale - Vista will probably run a bit sluggishly - and secondly, if you like _all_ your applications to work with the minimum of fuss, wait for the forthcoming Vista Service Pack to go public before you jump in. From what I've found at work until Vista has had a few things fixed it's only really worth having if you need DirectX 10...

Let us know how you get on...

Rob.

My tuppence

Steer clear of Vista - more headaches than its worth.

Go to www.download.com

Get spybot and adaware from there.

Install, update and run both. I have them both configured to start up after 3 and 5 mins on all pc's i am asked to look at. Also auto update, auto fix etc.

Both free for personal use.

Job done........unless you have viruses already. When i'd recommend a reinstall (after backing up your data)

Never used Windows Defender - but not heard anything massively positive about it.

I work in an IT environment and we do not touch Vista at all, its very problematic as not much will run on it without issue.
Its no better than XP IMO and I don't really like the new menu structure.

Our suppliers are shipping all PC's with Vista now with the option to downgrade to XP for free. Although it appears with most vendors you need to obtain your own copy of XP to be able to do this.
If you want a PC with XP already installed instead of Vista, its more expensive, thats how desperate they are to shift it.

I agree Vista is the biggest resource waster i have ever encountered, and will slow down an older pc no end.

I ran it on a dual core 3.4 P4 with 2Gig of ddr2 and a Geforce6700 - it took up an unbelievable amount of resources compared to xp, which is(after several fixes) relatively smooth and trouble free

Tried spybot and adaware with no joy, but after spending another day on this i'm back in business.

Not sure if there's a less painfull procedure but to fix the Defender issue i re-installed XP but selected the upgrade option which preserved most of my programs, files & settings. After this i no longer got the Defender message & it would start up ok but now IE does not start & i'm unable to run windows update. So using Mozilla i downloaded IE version 7 & installed & was then able run it. Downloaded 84 updates, rebooted & jobs a good'n.

Cheers for all the advice..