Selling on Ebay

unkle

Beer God
Reaction score
Hey guys, just sold my Passat on Ebay, thought I quickly write up my experiences and perhaps give some tips for forum members that might want to do the same thing. Ive never actually done it myself before so it might be helpful to some....

Firstly, I was quite surprised at the amount of exposure the car got compared to another car I had advertised in Autotrader, the Passat was nothing special but managed to get nearly 800 hits and had 70 watchers, I also got a ton of emails regarding its sale. The fees for Ebay arent too bad either for cheaper cars near the sub £3k level.

I would recommend that you make your advert as clear as possible by taking lots of photos and adding lots of descriptive blurb, things that seem stupidly obvious to you and me still need typing out as theres plenty of idiots out there, good things to note are cambelt changes, time till next service, previous owners.

Another thing, I put my mobile number on the auction as I thought a couple of people might ring to ask about the car and on the first evening had 50+ phone calls of which only one was a genuine question and the rest making stupid offers well below a decent asking price, I guess if people are genuinely interested they will make the effort to email but then again the guy I did sell it to (a Polish guy who came with a few mates) rang a couple of times so it worked out in the end. Also if your selling a large diesel and/or estate car be prepared to get a lot of calls from people who dont have english as their first language, some of whom are just time wasters but some are very genuine.

And lastly, be prepared to have a lot of people asking for a buy it now price especially at the beginning, I think most of these are chancers after a bargain when the price isnt very high so would probably be a good idea to have a rough figure you want for the car and then stick to your guns.

If anyone has got something to add might be worth making this a sticky or adding a new section to the forum to discuss ways of selling a car...

Depends on the car you are selling aswell, VW B5 and B5.5 Passats are very desireable and fantastic value, I have an Estate TDI and already have a few friends and relatives interested should I decide to sell up, and it's approaching 150k on the clock, but still drives very well running on original clutch!
I always put at the bottom of the auction 'no tyre kickers or test pilots', which gets rid of some stupid callers, also never disclose your reserve price.

lots of pictures and being as honest as possible is the key IMO

all little details should be written and this is what people are looking for esp on ebay where a bid means that you are entering to buy. So people will look for the most possible details with not having to look at the car.

I've sold three cars via eBay using HTML listings. I've done this for two friends which were very successful (both sold before the auction ended at a higher price than originally hoped) and my old ST170 (which had a listing hosted and ready to go, but I showed it to a potential buyer from a Focus forum who told me not to list it. He bought the car :) ).

As mentioned above, your absolute top priority is DETAIL. Loads of pictures of every area of the car (at least 30 - and I'm not joking here - get them hosted away from eBay which makes it free) and then talk about anything to do with the car; why you're selling it, what it was like running it, costs like insurance and fuel economy, plus the good bits and obviously the bad for honesty. If your car has some nice options or features, then take separate pictures of these and talk about them too.

Be very firm about how you want the sale to go. Bank transfer is always best, so insist on it, and if you don't offer a buy-it-now price and don't want to accept an offer before the end of the auction, then make a solid point about it (larger font, bold type etc). I also forewarned buyers that test-drives were a no-no too (after a scary experience a few years ago).