Infra red beam detector

marms

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone can advise but I need some kind of device that I can install across the entrance to my driveway that can detect when someone comes up the drive and sounds some kind of buzzer in the house.

Needs to ideally be some kind of wireless device as the end of the drive is about 400m from the house.

Anyone used such a device or have an idea of where I could source such a thing?

Ta.

I used to install this sort of device many moons ago( although not wireless) to control the likes of security and site lighting and also automatic access control systems. Give me a day or so and I will enquire with wholesalers I use in work. With a distance of 400m it would probably need to be hard wired.

You can get a PIR lantern from B&Q/Focus and the like.

When someone approaches your door, they light up.

Could you use something like this and butcher it for your needs?

SamDude said:
You can get a PIR lantern from B&Q/Focus and the like.

When someone approaches your door, they light up.

Could you use something like this and butcher it for your needs?

I doubt this would work in 40m nevermind 400m!

LottieA3 said:
Yeah I agree..............................

Can you give reasons Lottie?

Is it length of cable run or voltage drop that might be an issue here or just a very weak infra red beam? :nyah:

Thank you everyone for your replies. Very much appreciated.

Just to clarify.

My property has a fairly secure fence all the way around.
The entrance to the driveway is about 400m from the house
The width of the gateway is about 4.5m
I need some kind of beam across the gateway so that when a car or person walks up the drive I get an indication via a buzzer in the house.
Wireless sounded nice but I could easily run cable under ground.

I did think about some kind of PIR device but didn't know where to start looking. The detection range of these devices is around 10m so would easily cover the entrance.

>--- @ Karl7900 - thanks for that. If you could find out some info that would be great.

An infra red beam would be better as that can be more tightly controlled than PIR sensors. Another option is an induction loop in your driveway, although this will need some kind of control unit probably.

If you do go to the effort of installing something like this it would be worthwhile considering driveway lights at the same time. As in when a car or person passes through the gate, lights come on for a set period of time. A nice feature and also good security feature.

LottieA3 said:
If you moved some of those little punctuations around and thought about it before you typed you could have made this:

-->-->@ its like a flower, but lying down :tumble:

I'd stick to the cakes Lottie because you'd make a crap florist :)

LottieA3 said:
If you moved some of those little punctuations around and thought about it before you typed you could have made this:

-->-->@ its like a flower, but lying down :tumble:

Eh?

karl7900 said:
It's text talk for a rose Karl. Not that I want to give you a rose or owt! And I think Lotties rose is wilting as she used > for the leaves and not <.

Never seen that one before. I'll add it to my list of things to look out for.

Do you have power near the gate?

Is so you can make up what you need out of a few standard parts.

You will need an "ir beam" device (telemecanique make these).
Then use a RF solutions wireless link back to the house.....

If you want i'll find out some part numbers for you......

Thanks David. Very helpful.

I do indeed have power at the entrance ( for some lights).
Would the IR beam be visible? I don't want anythng visible.

Part numbers would be great if you don't mind.

Is the gate visible from the house, as any wireless webcam can be setup to perform this kind of function.

inigoj said:
Is the gate visible from the house, as any wireless webcam can be setup to perform this kind of function.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the entrance is visible from the house. Tell me more.......

How is a webcam going to help?
Do you have any examples of camera I could use and where to buy?

you will need something similar to the Rf solutions 200 series transmitter (200-525n) and an ir beam (can't get you a part number until I am back at work) somewhere near the gate.

The transmitter will need to be put into a waterproof box.

And the RF solutions rec unit (210-525n & 215) in the house......

I'll try and get you a part number for the ir sensor when I get back to work....

The sensor will not be visible to the naked eye.

http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/Radio_Telemetry_System_200_Series.html

If you have a power supply near your gates why not look into having electric gates installed you may be able to adapt your existing gates or go the whole hog and get some new ones.

motorbikez said:
If you have a power supply near your gates why not look into having electric gates installed you may be able to adapt your existing gates or go the whole hog and get some new ones.

Thanks for that but I'm not sure I want gates (or the expense of them). Just after a reasonable inexpensive way of knowing when someone is coming up the drive.

Looking at the rfsolutions website, it looks like I've got some research to be doing. :think:

marms said:
Thanks for that but I'm not sure I want gates (or the expense of them). Just after a reasonable inexpensive way of knowing when someone is coming up the drive.

Looking at the rfsolutions website, it looks like I've got some research to be doing. :think:

The RF solutions items are quite good and simple. All you basically need is a trasmitter and reciever.

All you need at the gate are a power supply, a transmitter and a ir detector (you may also need a relay dependant upon the ir unit purchased). You'll need to wire them together, which is simple - and then just sync the tx and rx (transmitter and reciever units).

If you want - I'll try & get a list of parts and make a wiring diagram if you want, but I wont be able to this until later this week...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=27513&doy=search

Something like that could easily be cannibised, put it in an enclosure, hard wire some external telephone cable onto the PCB then cover the whole lot with potting compound. Add a relay to the switching circuit and then youn can run as much current as you like through it.

The above is a cheap option, or you could get a proper break beam kit like this...
http://www.gx-security.co.uk/bosch-ds422i-shortrange-photoelectric-detector-p-328.html?cPath=42_116&osCsid=06649eb359cdbbe4145836d50be9b84e

the easyiest and maybe cheapest way that could be possible is, to set up a channel/zone on your intruder alarm at home to chime when activated. eg most small shops etc have them on the front door. This can be set up on most indruder control panels.
Then using a pir or infact any device which will give you a normally open /closed contact
If a wireless option could be found to cover ~400m this could be also used.
Alarm cable is pretty cheap to buy and since its low voltage easy to lay/run.

Just my option as a electrian/ alarm installer

Thanks again for all the ideas.

As i said earlier, I have mains at the entrance.
So here my idea. You know that you can get those little devices that allow network data to travel over mains to form a computer network in your house. Well could I use something similar to do the same thing here?

I.e Use the mains cable that powers the lights to also carry a data signal to the house and then have this connected to the alarm system as per rosscotdi's suggestion.

The lights at the entrance are already triggered by a PIR device.

marms said:
those little devices that allow network data to travel over mains to form a computer network in your house.
Just be carefull with them they May have a max range too.. these http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=CS12425 ones claim the max distance is 200m.

Sticking with the indruder alarm/fire detection systems, i have seen these units used, where they switch intruder alarm contacts from the far end of a primary school, http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/default.aspx?page=703r It is also monitored so that if the signal lost for what ever reason eg sabotage..etc it raises a fault.They are wireless up to 1000m line of sight, they can have optional aerials fitted too. I would give them a ring and tell them your application and they will spec it for you. Failing that i know a good wholesaler which should supply/spec this stuff.

Hope this helps