Chris NottAH Fabrications
    6th Gear

Status

Moving jobs - to one of our competitors

As above, i've just been 'informally' offered a job with one of our competitors. Still a few details to iron out with them but im happy with what they're proposing just now and i feel it would be a good move for me.

Problem is, if and when i hand my notice in, how do i go about telling my current boss? I'm by no means unhappy but i'm only at the start of my career and the training here is lacking, which is what i'm being offered, as well as a small increase in salary and company car, which i dont get here - currently have a mileage allowance but it barely if even covers the overall costs of my fuel/tax/insurance.

Should i just be perfectly honest with him about why i'm leaving, and more importantly where i'm going to? I have a feeling he may feel slightly betrayed - also wondering if i'll be asked to leave immediately rather than work notice?

I also think he may offer me more money, however that's not really why i'm moving - Business is business but i dont really want to leave here on bad terms.
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Don't do anything until you get the job offer in writing. Worst thing is if you tell your current boss, leaving and then not having anywhere to go.

6th Gear

Status
    nah i hadnt planned to do that anyways, its just a thought just now
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

6th Gear

Status
    Be straight with your boss (after you have something in writing, of course).

If the new place are going to chase references, your current/old boss will find out anyway, so its best not to burn any bridges (unless you want to).
    A4 2.0TDI S Line (2008)
    MMI/Sat Nav, Parking System Advanced, Advanced Key

5th Gear

Status
    If you are asked to leave immediatly, they'll still have to pay you a months notice.
    ----------
    VW Passat 2.0 TDI Sport
    2005 - 55 reg.

A4 Avant 1.8T Sport - Sold March 09
    1997 - R reg.

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Tell them, honesty is the best policy.
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SamDude
    Be straight with your boss (after you have something in writing, of course).

If the new place are going to chase references, your current/old boss will find out anyway, so its best not to burn any bridges (unless you want to).
    Justin

2001 VW Golf 2.3 V5 (170) Highline, Indigo Blue - standard, for now...

A4 (B5) SE with a few slight amendments here and there (sold)

thinking about stuff

Status
    Just say that a competitor has made you a job offer, don't mention leaving. Thats a topic for discussion between the pair of you.

2001 Black RS4 - P11 LCC
    1992 Burgundy Pearl Corrado VR6 - A20 LEE

Uber Post Whore

Status
    Business is business, tell him after your offer. If he asks you to leave immediately, fine, you are entitled for full pay of notice.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

6th Gear

Status
    You can either be honest or just not tell them if they do not ask by all means never lie as that can cause more problems.
    A4 Avant project now started ! see this thread ! http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-s4-forum-b5-chassis/43296-bit-project-going.html
    If you think my post had a usefull purpose please say thanks

Status
    Where you looking for a new job or did the competitor just offer you one?

If you where looking do not stay at your current place if they offer you more money1 You went looking for anew position for a reason!

As someone else do not burn your bridges as the saying goes it is a very small world!

Resign, if your not comfortable telling them who you are going to work for you do not have to say. But thank them for the opportunity for working for them and wish them all the best for the future.

The last post I resigned from I went from a vendor to an operator (telecoms) I didn't tell them.

Whatever you decide all the best! A change is as good as a rest
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten