Moving jobs - to one of our competitors

rodenal

Reaction score
As above, i've just been 'informally' offered a job with one of our competitors. Still a few details to iron out with them but im happy with what they're proposing just now and i feel it would be a good move for me.

Problem is, if and when i hand my notice in, how do i go about telling my current boss? I'm by no means unhappy but i'm only at the start of my career and the training here is lacking, which is what i'm being offered, as well as a small increase in salary and company car, which i dont get here - currently have a mileage allowance but it barely if even covers the overall costs of my fuel/tax/insurance.

Should i just be perfectly honest with him about why i'm leaving, and more importantly where i'm going to? I have a feeling he may feel slightly betrayed - also wondering if i'll be asked to leave immediately rather than work notice?

I also think he may offer me more money, however that's not really why i'm moving - Business is business but i dont really want to leave here on bad terms.

Don't do anything until you get the job offer in writing. Worst thing is if you tell your current boss, leaving and then not having anywhere to go.

nah i hadnt planned to do that anyways, its just a thought just now

Be straight with your boss (after you have something in writing, of course).

If the new place are going to chase references, your current/old boss will find out anyway, so its best not to burn any bridges (unless you want to).

If you are asked to leave immediatly, they'll still have to pay you a months notice.

SamDude said:
Be straight with your boss (after you have something in writing, of course).

If the new place are going to chase references, your current/old boss will find out anyway, so its best not to burn any bridges (unless you want to).

:iagree:

Just say that a competitor has made you a job offer, don't mention leaving. Thats a topic for discussion between the pair of you.

Business is business, tell him after your offer. If he asks you to leave immediately, fine, you are entitled for full pay of notice.

You can either be honest or just not tell them if they do not ask by all means never lie as that can cause more problems.

Where you looking for a new job or did the competitor just offer you one?

If you where looking do not stay at your current place if they offer you more money1 You went looking for anew position for a reason!

As someone else do not burn your bridges as the saying goes it is a very small world!

Resign, if your not comfortable telling them who you are going to work for you do not have to say. But thank them for the opportunity for working for them and wish them all the best for the future.

The last post I resigned from I went from a vendor to an operator (telecoms) I didn't tell them.

Whatever you decide all the best! A change is as good as a rest ;)