Telephone provider advice.

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Hi guys, need a bit of advice with a small conundrum.

Basically, I signed with a telephone company named ORB a few years ago, it was on some long term contract for something like 5 years to keep my bills down. It's a business line, and mainly for receiving call, so I get a quarterly bill for line rental and a monthly bill for out going calls all done by DD.
Just got a letter through the post saying the company's getting a new name, getmybillsdown.com, and THEY are upgrading my tariff to some broadband thing which is 24.99 pm, can they do that? Without me agreeing to it first?! Now my monthly bills is always under a fiver, so I don't know why I would need free call and broadband blahblahblah, I'm already with AOL for my broadband service. They've given me an 0870 number to call also, suprise suprise, but their number or company name doesn't register with the saynoto0870 site, and I don't want to get raped on their phone charges!

My main question is, my contract is with ORB, but now they have changed names, is the contract nullified? as I'm keen to change back to BT and save my self hassle. Also, do you think it's a wise move for me to cancel my DD for my phone services, all the above I have mentioned will take place on 11th November.

People can take over your contract but usually they must stick to notice periods within that contract to alter your tarrif or fees. I would say this is way beyond a price increase or tarriff alteration and you are quite within your rights to say you do not accept this new deal and either want your existing contract honored or to be released from it entirely.

Cancell the DD if you can't get hold them, that will get there attention.

john

OK, reading the small print, Getmybillsdown.com is an a company OWNed by ORB, so the original contract with ORB is still binding, but the bills will be billed as getmybillsdown.com....
I finally found a number I could call with the rented line, it's 152, or an 0845 number, so I called the 152, this should be free right?
Upon making the call, I had to answer 10 ****** questions to prove I am who I am, I'm all for security checks, but this was taking the peepee, so I'm thinking this might be a charged call.... example of questions was bizaar also, Company Name followed by postcode, then first line of address, then first name, last name, DOB followed by middle name.... then first line of home address - it is at this point, I questioned the need for my home address, as it has nothing to do with this account? Reply, it's on the system sir! OK - First line of home address, postcode, home telephone number and moby telephone number! Phew! At least they didn't ask for my bank account number with pin. :sadlike:
So after 10 minutes or so, I'm through, yay, but I'm still thinking they are charging me for this call, so I'm gonna make it quick! I don't want to upgrade to the broadband offer, just stick with what I'm currently on thanks, then the guy on the otherside assures me that I'll be making a saving by signing upto the new offer lol. He spends the next 2-3 minutes or so explaining how I'll be saving on my phone calls, and that the broadband will be free, I tell him I already have a bradband connection thanks, £25 isn't free and, that my company made 32p worth of calls in the last month, how much do you think I'm going to save? He still thinks a 15p saving is better than nothing, I give up! :keule:
Finally I got the message through that the package isn't for me, just leave it well alone, and I'll be happy.

/rant over

i work for a telecoms company.

im really surprised they told you they will do that without consulting you, and no, 152 'probably' wont be free (bit like ringing 192 for DQ, that IIRC werent free either)

lol @ the 15p reduction

glad you got through to them though!