Hate 0870 numbers????

Tonya Rosey

Reaction score
For those of us who hate paying loadsa dosh to companies, to be put on hold for 10 mins.....add this link to your favourites..
http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

then click on "search to find another alternative number". Gives you address's, cheaper landline numbers for all sorts of companies and its free!!:hubbahubba:

Yeah, great site - been using it for years.

I was having a moan at Nectar the other day (loyalty card people) via an on-line web chat. The person couldn't help me so told me to ring their 0870 number. I replied back and asked for a geographic number as then the call would be free for me. They replied 'We don't have a geographic number, you have to ring 0870'. It took me 10 seconds to find it on the website and then replied back to them and said 'Yes you do have a geographic number, it's 020 xxx'.

DAMN! Wish you posted this info yesterday!! I was on the phone to AdrianFlux insurance for a quote, and the call lasted 18 minutes, I called them up again later on in the day to accept the quote, and that took another 12 minutes. Not too sure how much the phone calls would have cost me, but I did save a good 50 quid on my insurance premium over the next nearest quote, so not too bad I guess....

Glad I can be of some use! Just be warned that if you are a Virgin customer and you ever need "technical help" with your PC, they put you through to an 09 number. I was on the phone 5 minutes and it cost me £4.97!!!!! How ridiculous is that!!

BTW there are a fair few telecoms companies that will give you a free 0845, 0870 number and pay you! you keep your existing number, then agree to have an 0870 number that pays you say, 3p per min, then give this number out to BT, British gas etc....your geographic number will still be usable by those who matter too! win/win situation. get the F%&*s back with their stealth income.

I use this site as well. Just be warned that when I contacted Admiral about my car insurance, I rang a landline (twice) and was still directed to an 0870 number for existing customers. Whether the number on the website's database was out of date, or the call centre knew I was calling a landline I don't know, but it's not foolproof.

Incidentally, the company I work for has a small call centre, and our landline is correctly displayed! :eek:)

0870's are changing next year, they are going to loose the revenue share option and all calls will be the same price as a local call. Check the Ofcom website for details.
www.ofcom.org.uk