Do you believe in... Ghosts?

Not sure.

I certainly don't believe that ghosts are spirits of loved ones returning to give you messages. When you're dead you're dead. But there are just too many people experiencing the same (or very similar) sightings to not have some grounding.

Why are 'ghosts' always seen at night when it is either completely or very nearly pitch dark, when the air is still and perhaps damp and why are they always translucent and floating? Could they simply be the over active imagination brought about by eerie circumstances? Are we not all just conditioned into thinking what ghosts should be like?

I just don't know. ALIENS however, are definitely out there!

jojo said:
Follow up to Silver's Alien thread, do you believe in Ghosts?

Is this about ghosts of aliens, alien-ghosts, or a spooky hybrid new boo-alien....

Demons..? with like horns and tails and beards.? or there like goblins.? Maybe i have been playing too much oblivion.. :S

I like the idea of ghosts, but can't say i have ever seen one even when creeping around an empty waddesdon manor at 1am.. scary but i think its all psychological tbh!

Aliens though. they do exist. i see them as ourselves or our family in the future thats why they can't really come to see us because they may mess up history.. alternatively. when we pick up sharks and crap like that out of the sea and tag them i think thats what aliens do when people say they get abducted, they probe them or whatever then put them back on earth.

..just a thought :shrug:

Not like goblins - they're pretend :huh:

You'll only every see a demon looking like somebody else. Hopefully someone you don't know, I don't think I could handle it if it looked liked one of my family or friends :sadlike:

Just ask Shane Lynch.

Its a tough one, and I think based on how spiritual you are as a person. If you like to believe in a life after death, heaven etc etc then i'd say your more likely from the outset to believe. If your agnostic then you think its all nonsense, unless of course you are presented with evidence to the contrary eg a TV program like Haunting, then you may start to question things. Me, i'd like to think there was something out there, but I dont know what. Im not religous but i'd like to think that the relatives i've lost are close when I need them, I often find myself thinking of them or talking to them at random moments, and im a regular visitor to their graves often having out loud conversations about things. This is my way of handling the whole loss process and even if there's nothing there in reality I dont care really, its comforting! As for the question of demons & the whole concept of evil, the devil etc. This is a difficult one for me to get my head around. Humans by their nature can be cruel, evil beings. Now is it the devil & his posse that make humans turn to this side of their nature as per the concept of "freewill", or is it that because of humans doing dastardly deeds that the concept of an evil being making humans do these things was created as an excuse for the evil actions?? Its a little catch 22 really, and I for one havent made my mind up on this yet.

I think it's worth distinguishing between religious "spirituality" and crystal healing-and-psychics type "spirituality", as there shouldn't really be any crossover between the two.

I am religious and believe in God, so I dismiss the idea of ghosts because of what the Bible tells me about our end-of-earthly-life alternatives.

Nicky, in response to your thoughts about the devil and his crew getting the blame for evil behaviour - the evil acts are the acts of man alone.
But the temptation to commit those things, or to believe that they are an acceptable course of action, those are whispers from the devil.

By the way, this is all my own personal beliefs - I don't mean to sound like a lecture;)

thebluebus said:
Nicky, in response to your thoughts about the devil and his crew getting the blame for evil behaviour - the evil acts are the acts of man alone.
But the temptation to commit those things, or to believe that they are an acceptable course of action, those are whispers from the devil.

But are these "whispers from the devil" merely our subconscious giving us an excuse for an evil act? If a mentally unstable person carries out an act that is deemed evil, eg murder, an arguement could be that the devil whispered instructions to them, and in fact this is often given as an excuse in court to have a mentally irresponsible verdict given. However, medically they can be proven to have chemical imbalances in the brain causing eratic behaviour. Now is the devil causing the chemical imbalance or is the chemical imbalance causing halucinations of the devil giving eveil instructions?? Not that I have, but people who take drugs, eg LSD, halucinate. This is an invoked case of chemical imbalance, the difference being that its temporary and when a balance is returned then the halucinations will go.

All in all, its a big kettle of worms that has been discussed over the ages and caused many people to die for their beliefs. We as english are right up there with the worst of them. If you think its bad living in todays world of islamic terrorism, what were we up to in the crusades?!

Good question.

I've had chemical imbalances in my brain in the past, due to imbibing too much of the Artois brewery's finest. But, in the light of all the loopy decisions I've then made, I haven't stabbed anybody, or raped anyone, or beaten a child.

The imbalance can give rise to a propensity for uncharacteristic behaviour, but the evilness of the resulting acts, or otherwise, derives from whom you choose to listen to.

But again Nicky, I'm inclined to agree to leave this one where we are. I don't think we'll sort religion and ultimate spiritual responsibility for our actions all in one afternoon...

Indeed, there are too many arguements on this already, although I prefer to call this a discussion! Im wholeheartedly supportive of people's religous beliefs, just wish more people thought this way then maybe the twin towers would still be standing.