8L 225 bhp S3 or remapped Golf GTI Anniversary DIESEL??

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Hey all

I am looking to change my car in the future, but I dont know what to go for, so your help would be appreciated, I am going to be doing more mileage, therefore the reason to buy a diesel, but if i do go for one, i want a good looking diesel.

Once I get it remapped, i am looking at about 190bhp from a diesel....

Looking to spend around £10k, so both are possible, but what do you all think I should do????

S3 or Anniversary Golf????

I think you should get the S3, have a bit of fun with it,

then after 6 months or so then move to a diesel if the petrol is costing you too much.

But in 6 months down you could get the 8P Audi A3 Diesel, and sell your S3

But do it this way round, petrol to diesel, because once the money you save on diesel i dont think you would go back to a petrol

Hope this makes sense:readit:

Interesting. I may also be considering a change (depending on circumstances). My choice would probably be between both the cars you mention.

I think the Golf Anni's are very nice looking. Perhaps, the shape and the 'difference' is what pulls me towards one more than an S3, having had an A3 for some time now. We all know the S3 is more sporty (not wanting to get into a debate with anyone regarding dirve/handling etc - just being general here).

S3's are a bit more rare on the streets, and a bit more special IMO. They also have a nice interior - which I think the Golf's struggle with - the Anni's are the best though.

As Rick says though, I think if you chose that route of going for a Diesel you'd probably not turn back (for a while at least).

I also think your post suggests you are leaning towards the Golf, as you mention you will be doing more miles. Though remember you want comfort if being in a car longer. I'd suggest you take them out for a test drive and see what you like about them both. As you say you can map the Diesel too.

Just my opinion. :)

Morning Rick

I know what you mean, I have even been looking at the 8P Diesel Sport, which looks quite nice, but just cant make my mind up....

I think I will have to take them all out and decide from there.....

Don't forget that with 190bhp the FWD Golf will struggle for traction.

Why not look for a Quattro diesel A3? You should be able to get 170-180 easily from the 140PD lump and you'll have a lot more traction available.

I went from a 1.8t golf to a 1.9 130 A4,both remapped and i liked the drive of the diesel much better.
Didnt like the engine noise though.
I sold my A4 to buy an S3 as i dont do many miles but they just didnt drive as good as i expected.

Golf Anni is a fine machine, just hope you get a set of well looked after BBS rims, they are prone to corrosion! You will miss the interior of the Audi though, and the ability to rev past 4.5k :racer: , but 25mpg vs. 40mpg+ is a toughie

I really like this A3 im not sure on the model type but its A3 2.0 TDi 170 and looks very very nice, and only £8450 with 11k

Thats a new S3!!!!

Which looks as if it has a few options so will be about 30k!

That one i posted above is the price of 8450 according to Autotrader.

And is a 170 diesel does not mention anything about S3

Markey said:
That one i posted above is the price of 8450 according to Autotrader.

And is a 170 diesel does not mention anything about S3

Think that is a typo and it has a missing 2 in front of the 8450.

Paul