V-Power vs. Tesco 99 Super vs. BP 102 Ultimate

jcs356

Brum brum
Reaction score
Notice an article in VW Driver this month reporting on some independent tests on the above three fuels run over several thousand miles in an E46 M3 CSL Here is a link to the full article:
http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results_Update.shtml

In summary, Tesco 99Ron outperforms V-Power and is almost as good as the 102 RON Ultimate.
fueltest2poweratflywheelweb.jpg

Here is their conclusion:

Bottom line? Use the Tesco 99 fuel where you can find it, it offers the best, most consistent performance of the fuels available and it’s cheaper than V Power. If you can’t find a Tescos that sells it then go for Shell’s V Power. If you’re feeling really flush, have a point to prove on a rolling road day (days where car enthusiasts compare their cars power on a dyno) or want to extract the maximum potential out of the car on a track day then the BP 102 fuel is worth a go, just bear in mind that £150 a tank would pay for a good proportion of tyres or some decent driver training.

I have lots of mates with Jap cars as did my self i had a Silvia, some of them used Tesco fuel and there cars were performing very badly i have since converted some of them to V-Power and there cars have now come back to life they were suffering from lower power and just slugish and det.
From what i remember Tescos fuel is normal ron unleaded with adatives to make it 99.
Where as Shells fuel when it leaves the refinary is 106 or somthing then once settled and taken to the petrol stations becomes 100
You can not argue with their results but the proof is in what the people think and how their cars perform with the driver behind them. IMO

ive never tried the tesco fuel, will give it ago and you get points :)

Yeah the points is a good return i think for the amount of fuel that your putting in :)

is there anyway I can find my nearest place to buy the stuff?

oooo Seacroft Tesco sells it, I will pop over there tonight :icon_thumright:

Markey said:
Yeah the points is a good return i think for the amount of fuel that your putting in :)
Yeah, they are pretty generous - 1 point (or 1p) per £1, which then gets multiplied by 4 if you convert your points into vouchers to spend elsewhere. I'm saving up my vouchers for 2 years - at the end I should have over £60 of Tescos vouchers which can be converted into nearly £250 worth of vouchers for various shops and stuff. You certainly don't get that return with Shell.

Yeah the shell rewards are not really that great my 9000+ points is only like 400+ air miles which is naff :( the tescos one is much better its just there is not one local to me so it sucks i have a shell on my doorstep.

jcs356 said:
Yeah, they are pretty generous - 1 point (or 1p) per £1, which then gets multiplied by 4 if you convert your points into vouchers to spend elsewhere. I'm saving up my vouchers for 2 years - at the end I should have over £60 of Tescos vouchers which can be converted into nearly £250 worth of vouchers for various shops and stuff. You certainly don't get that return with Shell.

How do you find the tesco petrol in your S3 ?

When it was first introduced I started running my Ibiza on it as an experiment and found no ill effects. So I then started alternating between Optimax as was and Tesco in the S3 - again, no problems.

I now rarely use V-Power as the closest Shell station to me also seems to be the most expensive in the area - at least 2p a litre more than anywhere else, and I think V-Max is around 105p a litre compared to 98p for Tesco last time I filled up (or 94p if you take the value of the rewards off). Thats £6.60 difference on a full tank.

Both cars like the Tesco stuff.