God Fathers

arthurfuxake

Controversial & Contradictive
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
I've been asked to be a godfather. I'm massively honoured, but I have no idea what is required. I don't have any kids, and I'm not religious by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm confused that I've been asked. Is it still all about guiding the child towards a christian life and all that, or has the role changed with modern life?

I can only advise you from my own, Christian perspective.

I am Godfather for my little niece and friends of mine and my wife's from our church are Godparents to our little boy.

You're right about Godparents responsibilities. During the child's christening or baptism, they make a promise to help the child grow as a Christian, and to protect them from the sin and temptations of the world.

Are the parents who have asked you to do this religious?

If so, then they will expect you to undertake the role seriously, and with a Christian-centred perspective.

If not, they might be just following tradition, and won't be worried at your lack of interest in religion.

Sorry to sound all serious. As you say, it is an honour to be asked, but it's also a big responsibility if you are to take the role from a religious aspect.

Congratulations on being asked, and good luck with your decision.

The parents are both christian as far as religion goes, but neither are practicing christians. They don't attend church except for weddings, funerals and christenings, much like myself. The father is Irish catholic, but as I said, not into church attendance etc. I think he prays at the church of Guinness and Magners.

From a non religious point of view, you may have been asked as your friends feel that you are responsible and if anything was to happen to them then they trust you to look after their children until they are adults and be there as the parental figure in their life.

Without being religious, a child will still need support and guidance away from sin as it were.

Or as someone I know has done, she asked people she knew would give them nice presents (how shallow) my girlfriend being one of them...oh and she just happens to be a jeweller....

Taking away the potential morbid side of it, I think it is an honour and shows just how much your friends think of you.

Will

It sounds to me like they're following tradition then.

Although I take the religious side of my Godparenting responsibility seriously, it doesn't sound as though you would be misleading them or letting them down if you don't view the role from a churched perspective.

Strictly speaking, you are making a promise to God, so if you are not religious then obviously that won't hold much water.

But if you can honestly make the promise to help raise and protect the child 'right', that's probably what the parents are after.

my wife is a god parent but I am not, felt rather guilty when me and my mate go the giggles 1/2 way through the morning service. It was something very childish that set us off but you know how some vic`s talk.

That's always been a risk with religion and church services generally though isn't it?

If you aren't a follower of the religion, then the service will always have elements that sound or seem daft or odd to you. Although there's an important place for 'guests', the church service is pretty much designed for church members.

Regarding the Godparent issue, I believe you really need to be able to keep a straight face, take seriously what you are promising to the parents, and just mean it.

What they have asked of you is a big deal, and they could be very upset if
you seem flippant. Religious or not.

Just my 2p.

Just to return to the morbid, and religion aside, I thought the main responsibility of godparents was to bring up the children if the parents die, so it is a huge deal. Don't think this is legally binding though. May want to get pre-nuptial type agreement in place before committing!

I'm a godfather to a niece and a nephew. I'd agree with PorkyWill that this shows that your mate has respect for you. I'm an Irish Catholic but not of the church going type and I see this role as someone to help guide the kid through life. Don't be worried about taking over if the parents die as its not legally enforceable, the agreement is with the church not the state.
Oh and don't forget birthdays and christmas