Any IAM members here??

Would u take an Advanced Driving course if the avg. age of members wasn't 50+?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Depends (please elaborate)

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Definitely not.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

LaSarthe&Back

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been involved with the IAM for just over a year now, and after a break from it over the winter, I passed the test saturday.

I was asked by my observer, and the C1 qualified ex-Police driver to consider becoming an observer myself. The reason being, they (the IAM) are trying to encourage younger drivers to get involved and broaden their horizons.

One of them mentioned that younger people don't want to hear the techniques and priciples from so called "old farts", and would perhaps be more receptive if it were coming from a guy in his 20's who took them out for a demo drive in a 240bhp Audi.

The current members, of the older generation though they are, have a great enthusiasm for motoring, while not on the same level as some, are still enjoying driving itself. This post is not to say "get rid of em all, we don't need em" but to prod about younger people, and if they's like to get invloved.

When I signed up, I thought "just get the cert. and that's it" But now after having passed, discovered better and more intense courses available, I'm beginning to think about getting more involved.

Driving standards in this country are plumbing new depths every week. You only have to look on PH to see a new thread on "Mr X branded car - you don't have to be in my boot" or other rants of idiots in 1500kg weapons acting like they're invincible. Maybe it needs younger people to get involved to get more younger people involved??

Please don't just click Back on your browser, all views are welcome, and can probably be used constructively!

All the best,
Andy

I've seriously looked into it before, but the thing that put me off was that it worked like a 'club' - you joined up then went to 'drives', then 'when you were ready' did the test. I'd be happier if you could book a weekends course then a series of refreshers until you were ready. The informal nature as it stands is hard to fit in with a wife/climbing/cycling/job etc etc

I did get lots of tips from a mate with a ROSPA gold, that helped out lots - for example, when slowing down for a corner slow until the 'white lines move away from you' (hard to explain but easy to do).

I need to work on always looking in my mirrors; I often rely on what was there a few seconds ago and forget to look before braking. I will get the habit though!

I must say that I hadn't considered the age aspect of it.

Congratulations by the way!

Congratulations. A mate of mine from school has been an observer with IAM for many years now. He started doing it in his mid 20s - he drives a Honda S2000 and a Mazda 6 MPS. So you're not the only oldie. The tales he's told me of going as a passenger in a police high performance driving training car sounded quite interesting.

I considered it but haven't done anything further as I've focussed more on learning to drive a car on track - which is a different set of skills.

jcs356 said:
Congratulations. A mate of mine from school has been an observer with IAM for many years now. He started doing it in his mid 20s - he drives a Honda S2000 and a Mazda 6 MPS. So you're not the only oldie.

Easy mate, I'm only 26!!! :yes:

jcs356 said:
The tales he's told me of going as a passenger in a police high performance driving training car sounded quite interesting.

I considered it but haven't done anything further as I've focussed more on learning to drive a car on track - which is a different set of skills.

Do you tend to take "racing lines" when on roads? If so, why? And if not, what do you do?

Thanks for replying!!

Andy

Hi, I come from the A3 forum, being 21 I'm probably the demographic your looking at! I would be interested in this and have been reading up on the advanced driving courses including the skidpans just because I know that no matter what I think there is no way I am a perfect driver and because of my love of cars and motor sports I will probably end up behind the wheel of a high performance car at one point or another. The thing that puts me off is that it feels like another driving test to stress about, much like pass plus. Also how much is the cost of this? That most people who can afford it are the older people who can afford the high powered cars must mean there is a sufficient cost to this? I myself find that at this stage in my driving life, paying out extra money on top of my frankly ludicrous motor insurance (£950+), road tax, repairs, MOT's and servicing is difficult to swallow.

I think to reach your target audience, adding high powered cars and prestigious motors would bring in younger people such as myself, I know I would definatly join if I got the oppertunity to drive fairly high powered cars and gained the ability to be able to control them.

Congratulations. My dad's been a member of the IAM for ages and is the editor of the local IAM magazine. I'm not sure that "adding high powered cars and prestigious motors" is the sort of thing the IAM want to be encouraging, especially in young drivers.

Also, don't you take the lessons and test in your own car? How would the IAM go about "adding" other cars unless they started to provide them, something which they're not currently set up for AFAIK?

LaSarthe&Back said:
Easy mate, I'm only 26!!! :yes:

Do you tend to take "racing lines" when on roads? If so, why? And if not, what do you do?

Thanks for replying!!

Andy

Oops, sorry, that should have said youngster.

I tend not to take racing lines on roads. Unless I'm in a real, real hurry to get somewhere, I just drive sensibly. I leave the 'using the full width of the road' stuff to the track.

batwad said:
I'm not sure that "adding high powered cars and prestigious motors" is the sort of thing the IAM want to be encouraging, especially in young drivers.

Yes, my thoughts exactly. The cost of your membership isn't much at all, and you don't pay a high amount to become qualified. Thinking about the labour admin in booking your test, the examiner's time etc. I thought it was quite cheap for what I have gained from it.

batwad said:
Also, don't you take the lessons and test in your own car? How would the IAM go about "adding" other cars unless they started to provide them, something which they're not currently set up for AFAIK?

If they were to make a IAM fleet or something membership costs would rocket, and young people wouldn't all be able to afford to join. Would it not be even worse, knowing that this advanced group had these nice motor's and better skills, but you can't join cos mem'ship is £249 a year or whatever.

How else could they justify a 30k RS4 or other such vehicle??

jcs356 said:
Oops, sorry, that should have said youngster.

I tend not to take racing lines on roads. Unless I'm in a real, real hurry to get somewhere, I just drive sensibly. I leave the 'using the full width of the road' stuff to the track.

I used to use racing lines on the road. Not the full width, but up to where I felt safe, in control and enough room for another driver's error coming the other way. I used to think this was best, as I was going the straightest way through the corner, car was more stable, smoother, and faster.

Until I took this course, I would have told you every time that was the best way. Now I won't use that unless I need to be somewhere balls out. And even then I'll be using every other priciple taught in addition.

The IAM way is 90% as quick, and gives you much much better vision. If younger drivers could be convinced of this (and other principles), I'm sure it'd save more accidents, and possibly more lives.

How are you taught to overtake? Do you pull out for a look, then accelerate. Or hang back then accellerate from there?

icenutter said:
How are you taught to overtake? Do you pull out for a look, then accelerate. Or hang back then accellerate from there?

You have to maintain a 2 sec gap to the car in front (except obviously when you are going past). You have to assess the road, what it's doing up ahead, anyone behind looking to overtake you motorcyclist etc. Once you are happy that the road is ok, move offside and if possible onto the other side of the road, so the car in front can tell your intentions, assess the gap and if ok to proceed, put your foot down.

It sounds complicated and as if it would take 5 mins to go through that , but it happens really quickly.

I guess that's the safest way if your car is powerful enough to get past. I guess that's the point though - only going past when it's safe.

You'd be surprised at how un-powerful cars can be and still get past. The key is observation, and if one knows what's going on up ahead, it informs your decision of whether or not to go.

If one dosen't look up ahead, you don't know what's happening and it pushes you toward "taking a run-up" and should a car appear (which one may not have seen for not looking far enough ahead) causes you to slam on the anchors and you end up breaching the 2 sec gap to joe bloggs in front. He's now intimidated, cos you want to get past, and you're in danger of going up the back of him.

Also it stops you looking embarrassed for the run up you might have taken!

You're right, but I always remember the 1 litre Micra that I had when I was 17 it was so slow that it took about a mile to overtake!

icenutter said:
You're right, but I always remember the 1 litre Micra that I had when I was 17 it was so slow that it took about a mile to overtake!

Maybe, but you've got an S3 now!! :)

I passed the IAM test when I was 17, a few months after I passed my normal driving test. admittedly, it was just for the cert and cheaper insurance, and also because i didnt have to pay for the cours, but I did learn alot. I was also asked to become an onserver.

IMO this should be the basic driving test, 2 hours with ex-police drivers! this would stop all the new drivers ending up in ditches.......

problem is though, you're never going to get the young drivers to pay more money for (in their opinion) no gain. they've already got their driving license, and can drive their chavved up cars how they like.... so why would they bother?

jonS3 said:
IMO this should be the basic driving test, 2 hours with ex-police drivers! this would stop all the new drivers ending up in ditches.......

problem is though, you're never going to get the young drivers to pay more money for (in their opinion) no gain. they've already got their driving license, and can drive their chavved up cars how they like.... so why would they bother?

Exactly. The L test is such a disgrace. It needs to be far more stringent. people even have others take their test for them!! Ridiculous!

The money thing is the key to it all, they have to be convinced it's for their benefit. How... I don't know..

Well done on the IAM pass. The IAM image is perhaps a bit too cloth cap and driving gloves for some. But I think that in time this will change. Anything that improves the quality of the drivers on our roads is only a good thing.
:applaus:

Over the last 11 years I have undergone the police standard and advanced car tests, more recently having been lucky enough to have been trained in counter terrorist VIP driving. This has meant that all in all I have had some 10 weeks tuition. The best bit was recently spending a day with Bentley Motors at Crewe before using a Bentley Arnage T.

I am very thankfull for the skills I have learnt, as a complete petrol head I never feel like this part of the job is work!!

Having recently been promoted and undergone the responsibility of Road Death SIO, I can only applaud those who want to improve their driving skills. I see far too much destruction and death caused by those who think that they are invincible. It is sadly often the innocent person driving the other way that pays the ultimate price............

:salute: