Second Driver

Dubplate

Reaction score
My girlfriend is in need of a car as her previous car has been written off, non fault on her part. I still have my N reg Mk3 Golf Gti which is possibly only worth £900 now due to malicious damage (key scratches over the car) which she could use till she sorts a new car out. The problem is that she has only been driving for less than a year and the cheapest quote ive had is £1800 for third party fire and theft. If i put her on as a second driver its only £450 but effectively i wont be driving it at all as i use my S3..... so would i be breaking the law if she is the sole driver yet only on as a second driver ????.......

Techinically yes, very hard to prove tho, not that im saying you should do it.

rodenal said:
Techinically yes, very hard to prove tho, not that im saying you should do it.

i was thinking along those lines.... it would only be a temporary thing possibly for 6 months.....

as said yes, but how could they prove it?

if anything was to happen to her whilst driving they wouldnt know she had been the only using the car after she would be insured to drive it, and she could say it was the first time she had used it

I would read up on the policy terms and conditions as if your lady friend is using it for communting to work it might not be covered.

Beerzo said:
I would read up on the policy terms and conditions as if your lady friend is using it for communting to work it might not be covered.

good point, will check that out :icon_thumright: though again thats got to be a hard to prove.....

if she didnt say she wasnt go to/from work then how would they know?, she just says she going shopping or to see friend etc

205man said:
if she didnt say she wasnt go to/from work then how would they know?, she just says she going shopping or to see friend etc

yep :icon_thumright:

The problem here is that you are trying to insure a high performance car for a young inexperienced driver. Obvious I know but, it will only be a problem if you have a claim. Then it's down to the insurance company. Some will try anything to get out of a claim and you are potentially giving them lots of reasons. Wouldn't you be better selling the GTi and buying an old banger with a 1.1L engine. Then the insurance will be more affordable and, more importantly, all above board.

marms said:
The problem here is that you are trying to insure a high performance car for a young inexperienced driver. Obvious I know but, it will only be a problem if you have a claim. Then it's down to the insurance company. Some will try anything to get out of a claim and you are potentially giving them lots of reasons. Wouldn't you be better selling the GTi and buying an old banger with a 1.1L engine. Then the insurance will be more affordable and, more importantly, all above board.

i was keeping the Gti for a work horse for my next house and as its just sitting there growing moss i thought it would be a suitable short term fix...... she only has a few months till she has completed her first year which then should reduce her premium considerably....

Insurance companies these days seem to be a drivers worst enemy. Been a while since having to go through anything with them, but had to deal with Diamond on Friday when some woman failed to stop at a stop line in a multi storey car park and hit the missus reversing out of her parking space. She phoned Diamond who then told her that as she was reversing it was her fault & suspended her no-claims bonus even though we said we're not claiming yet, just need to get the car checked for damage. Its an r-reg Astra with a few scrapes on it being the cheap family runabout basically. The garage who saw it that afternoon confirmed it was just cosmetic damage & when I t-cutted it up there was just a minor scratch after all. Diamond were just a pain in the butt & couldnt believe they suspended the no-claims bonus even though we hadnt actually put in a claim!!! They also charged £10.50 to move 2 mins around the corner to a house where the car is parked on a driveway instead of a main road, oh & thats just for 2 the weeks until the renewal!! Needless to say im an advocate for being honest with insurance companies & also dont use Diamond, they're crap in my personal and statutorilly given view!!

Dubplate said:
so would i be breaking the law if she is the sole driver yet only on as a second driver ????.......

people do this all the time mate, its no biggie