New Style Speed Camera's coming to a perfectly safe dual carriageway soon

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
New safety camera on trial in London
safety_camera.jpg

A new type of safety camera that does not flash and requires no film is being tested in west London. The digital speed camera or "d-cam" photographs drivers faces and number plates and, if it wins Home Office approval, could be used nationwide.

Transport for London has tested it on London's A4 Great West Road since April. It detected speeding drivers but no fines are being issued in the trial.

Developed by west London firm Truvelo, the new digital speed
and red light camera does not flash to alert drivers when it photographs speeding vehicles.

A Transport for London spokesman said the number of people killed or seriously injured on London's roads has been reduced by 41% since the mid to late-1990s. "Safety cameras have played an important role, along with other road safety measures such as 20mph zones, advertising and educational initiatives," he added.
I'm guessing the other road safety measures contributed slightly more. When on earth does anyone have the opportunity to speed on Londons roads even if they wanted to?

AndyMac said:
When on earth does anyone have the opportunity to speed on Londons roads even if they wanted to?

Indeed. I speed past two cameras every morning on my way to work in Wimbledon at a ridiculous 10mph. It appears that someone was caught though as they are set alight on a regular basis.

Glad to see they continue to spend their money wisely.... What Joy !!!

As I said in a previous post it just amazes me how quickly local authorities can deploy the latest high tech gagetry when it's gonna rake money in, but it takes them months to fix a street lamp or bus shelter, or pick up an abandoned car. The SPEC's camera network on the M4 roadworks seemed to appear overnight, yet simple crash barrier repairs can take 4 months. And these camera's aren't just bolted to an existing gantry, they have their own quite substantial pillar they sit on and presumably some sort of networking to feed the OCR info into the DVLA and onto the local constabulary to issue the NIP's, yet they are technically unable to share paedophile databases between a neighboring county and still use manual fax to communicate vital evidence. Something not quite right there.