Bernard Manning is dead

Seconded, what a bell-end he was.

"One little kiddie on cake cried all the water out of his body. Just imagine how his mother felt. It's a ******* disgrace."

"Little"? Are we talking about the same obese racist here ;)

sorry, but hated him? why? yes, somethings where close to the bone, but he lived during a time of free speech and used that...

he never told anyone to hurt another person, he made jokes.

Excellent, one less nasty piece of work on the planet, just Jim Davidson to go

Ah, remember those days......... when jokes were jokes and that was all they were, and people laughed because they knew they were only jokes, back in the days when people still knew how to laugh, and had a sense of humour. Know we just go around beating people up and shooting and stabbing each other, and are eager to make ourselves victims.

ScoobyA4 said:
sorry, but hated him? why? yes, somethings where close to the bone, but he lived during a time of free speech and used that...

Maybe hate is a strong word to use, but his humour was in very bad taste and very offensive to many modern day British citizens. His racist humour may have been accepted in the past but society has moved on and being accepted in the past is no excuse.

ScoobyA4 said:

he never told anyone to hurt another person, he made jokes.

Close to the bone... LOL

I live in a time when I'm free to hate Bernard Manning and I am using that freedom..

Peace :cool:

ScoobyA4 said:
for better or worse? i personally hate the PC thing that i feel is worse than racists!

Do a search on Bernard Manning jokes, then tell me if his humour is just un-PC or blatently racist. I don'nt mind jokes about different races, but his humor crossed a line and they were told with intent.

I saw him several times in the 80's and early 90's at the Embassy Club in Manchester. the last time we went was a stag do and we'd got an asian driver for the mini bus. he came in with us and sat at the back. Bernard as usual launched into him and gave him a bit of stick but to be fair he pretty much took the **** out of everyone. at the end of the night as we were leaving the driver had the biggest bottle of champagne in the northern hemisphere under his arm. he said Bernard came over to him before he left and gave it to him for being a good sport.

opinions are like assholes, everyones got one, personally i thought he was alright, maybe his show wasn't exactly in good taste but that's all it was, a show.

RIP
I read an article and the journo went to the dreesing room after the show and said How you ****** doing Bernard? to which he replied less of the language young man or I'll have to ask you to leave!!
The interview showed him to be an entertainer who delivered what the punters wanted and off the stage he was okay
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/18/nmanning118.xml

Racism aside, he just wasn't funny, and many times I've seen him "contributing" to programmes on comedy, and he's been downright insulting to people with real talent, so I think I know where he's coming from and it's certainly not anything to do with entertainment.
His generation spawned a lot of old school comics with real talent, and they didn't have to stoop to racist, bigotted material so I don't buy the whole "free speech" generational excuse.

Just saw this on one of the reports:
"David and Victoria Beckham have also attended performances, one of which can be seen on Manning's latest release 'An Audience with Bernard and Friends' in which he wins a comical verbal shoot-out with them."
Now that is funny, I take it all back the guy's a genius!

I doff my cap to you andymac, probably one of the few people on here big enough to admit that maybe your opinion might have been wrong. Well done mate.

mc119856 said:
offensive to many modern day British citizens.

Hummmm.......... That sounds more than a little 'Orwellian'!!

What would be your definition of a 'modern day British Citizen' then........??

Some of his jokes made me laugh,,,, some didn't. Such is life.

Here's one that did make me laugh........

50 Years ago 40 White men chasing a Black man was the Ku Klux Clan,,, nowadays they call it the US Open!!

RIP

arthurfuxake said:
I doff my cap to you andymac, probably one of the few people on here big enough to admit that maybe your opinion might have been wrong. Well done mate.
Sorry to disappoint but I was obviously being hugely sarcastic (lowest form of wit I know, but we are talking about Bernard Manning).
I just liked the quote that the "comic genius" managed to win a verbal shoot out with Posh & Becks - tough gig!

Just Plain Old said:

And what would your definition be then?

So (not) suprised to see you posting on this thread... :)

AndyMac said:
Racism aside, he just wasn't funny...

truth

Lol i can see this one gettin out of hand

Didnt like him tho, thought he was a tosser and less funny than my usual sunday morning hangover

Just Plain Old said:

Modern day British citizens consist of people from many different ethnic and religious backgrounds as i'm sure you're aware of.
BM's humour evolved in a time when it was acceptable to ridicule & insult these minorities, like it or not in 2007 it is no longer acceptable.....Such is life.

Well I think he was funny. Most jokes are at someone's expense and thats a fact of life.

Everybody is so eager to jump on the "racism" bandwagon to show they are persecuted its unbelievable, have people nothing better to do?
(other than maybe nip down the social for their giro)

"all these people that think they're English because they're born here, if a dog is born in a stable, is it a horse?"

Read the section in the independant today by Alexai Sayle, very interesting, about Bernard

A4Quattro said:
"all these people that think they're English because they're born here, if a dog is born in a stable, is it a horse?"

ah....

Lewis Hamilton, Amir Kahn, Monty Pelissier, Linford Christie, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, me, so i guess your only English when your winning medals for England or English sport? :think:

silver75 said:
ah....

Lewis Hamilton, Amir Kahn, Monty Pelissier, Linford Christie, Rio Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, me, so i guess your only English when your winning medals for England or English sport? :think:

Sliver...Who the **** is Monty Pelissier?

"Most jokes are at someone's expense and thats a fact of life"

What utter garbage!

If the English are winning you'll find that the rest of the British nations are hoping they'll **** up and lose

silver75 said:
And what would your definition be then?

So (not) suprised to see you posting on this thread... :)

Never one to disappoint........... ;)

I don't believe there is such a thing (other than in the nation hating, Marxist handbook) as a " modern day British citizen". You have either 'Ethnic Britons' or 'Native Britons'............. That also answers your other question about Lewis Hamilton, et al.

silver75 said:
ah....

I would classify someone as British when they integrate into society and don't create their own mini societies, when they pay tax and when they respect the law and the indiginous people.

AndyMac said:
"Most jokes are at someone's expense and thats a fact of life"

What utter garbage!

you're talking ******** and you know it, 90% of the jokes I have heard are at someone's expense, remember when Diana died? Jokes by the shedload were going about same with Bird Flu, lets not forget about the englishman irishman and scotsman now

I saw Bernard Manning once and there were members from all ethnic backgrounds laughing there heads and turbans off, a truly very funny man, his jokes were indeed just that jokes, Bernard Manning was half Jewish so basically he took the Pee out of himself, like he said he grew up with nowt and he bettered himself by telling jokes which he knew were close to the knuckle but they were just jokes thats all. As far as im aware manning had no racist views outside of his act unlilke Roy Chubby Brown, if you watched his show the other week his views were exactly the same off stage as on it. Mr mannings neighbours by the way of who he got on with well were Asian so if he was such a nasty racist pig do you think a Asian family would move next door to him, some of you will be saying that the joke someone posted the other day about 10 white blokes chasing a black man is racist next ( havent looked at that thread yet for peoples comments ) Manning told jokes that were funny about everybody done a lot of charity work and helped others around him.

So I say god bless you Mr Manning and thank you for making me laugh for all these years.

A4Quattro said:
you're talking ******** and you know it, 90% of the jokes I have heard are at someone's expense, remember when Diana died? Jokes by the shedload were going about same with Bird Flu, lets not forget about the englishman irishman and scotsman now

90% of cheap lousy jokes maybe, but not jokes in general, which is what you referred to, although with Mr Manning I guess I could be mistaken.
A joke at the expense of someone else is pretty easy to construct and just reinforces the age old stereotypes and bigotted views of a bygone era appealing to the lowest common denominator. A proper joke or routine is slightly more sophisticated and appeals to a slightly more intelligent audience as opposed to laughing at the hilarious stupidity of a blonde or the relentlessly funny facial features of a racial minority.

AndyMac wrote
A joke at the expense of someone else is pretty easy to construct and just reinforces the age old stereotypes and bigotted views of a bygone era appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Sorry I dont really agree with you there, I also loved the Young Ones and Bottom starring Ade Edmonson and Rik Mayall seeming as im classed as one of the lower common denominator club I supposse you now have visions of me going around smashing people over the head with frying pans and cricket bats, although I do so love stuffing my underpants full with custard, I also loved Alf Garnett as well, a racist character that was always made too look silly with his views.
For Bernard Manning to be the wealthiest British Comedian must mean there must be loads of us in the lower common denominator club, and it doesnt matter how many people complain about near the knuckle jokes they will still be telling them long after we have passed away.
How do you explain the Iraq comedian that tells jokes about muslims ect, Also the other week on the Apprentice show the young Asian lad Tray when phoning up a Asian shop keeper put on a fake joke Asian Accent, how comes thats not flagged up as being Racist ?

I know right from wrong but I also know the difference between a Joke and a racist, homophobic ect comment.

Like Manning said he just told Jokes thats all nothing more nothing less.