Canadian GP

coupe-se

Reaction score
Well ............. WOW!!!

The most rivetting race I've seen for a long time.

Lewis Hamilton won and trounced the field. :respekt:

Alonso seemed to have lost the plot completly and to add insult to injury got overtaken in a Super Aguri .......... BRILLIANT!:nyah:

How in the hell Kubica got away so seemingly lightly from that crash is astounding. It looked sickening and it is incredible how strong those cars must be.

Looking forward to the race next week on the Iny circuit.

Dude - clarification time:

Alonso was overtaken by Sato - in a Super Aguri. It did look like Alonso conceeded the place, rather than fight for it. He was probably ****** off enough as it was and decided to gift Sato a place...

Kubica didn't get off so lightly. Reports say that he broke a leg. It did look extremely violent. Ooooffff!

Agreed about Lewis! What a way to make your mark with your first win.

The race had nearly everything in it - multiple colisions, multiple safety car call-outs, 5/6 cars fighting out of the pitlane, backmarkers overtaking frontrunners, black flags!

Edited the team bit ....... oops!

A broken leg is ****** light in my books and a miracle considering the severity of the crash.

Incredible entertainment ....... even the missus sat watching the action.

How pee'd off will Alonso be right now?!? :p

Must admit, i went off F1 years ago as it became boring! Hamilton has given me reason to start watching again. he is the future!

Good old sky+ allowing me to go out and watch it later!

ScoobyA4 said:
Must admit, i went off F1 years ago as it became boring! Hamilton has given me reason to start watching again. he is the future!

Good old sky+ allowing me to go out and watch it later!

Letter to Mr ScoobyA4:
Dear Mr Scooby,

I've retired so you can come back now.

Hugz
Michael

According to reports, Kubica didn't break a leg - all he had to show for it was a sprained ankle.

That's more than lucky...

SamDude said:
Alonso was overtaken by Sato - in a Super Aguri. It did look like Alonso conceeded the place, rather than fight for it. He was probably ****** off enough as it was and decided to gift Sato a place...

I don't think any driver would knowingly and willingly gift another driver, from another team, a place just because he's pi**ed off.

Sato took the place on merit!! Watch a replay... Sato doesn't get the best drive out of the hairpin but manages to stay close enough to get a good slipstream. Using the added momentum he makes a pretty good judgement of when to pull out but the difference in power, once out of the slipstream, is noticable and means Sato can only get his front wheel just in front of Alonso's rear. Alonso, trying to defend his position, pushes Sato right to the edge of the track but Sato appears to be having none of it and stays on in there. Alonso realises from his position on the track he's not gonna make the corner at those speeds, has to back out so technically his did conceed the place, like any sensible driver would when he realises another driver has the position on you, otherwise he would have ended up taking both cars out of the race, probably. And given his afternoon that wouldn't have been a very wise decision!!

Alonso certainly did not 'gift' Sato a place as you seem to imlpying.

Here's a replay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9nWS8cEY_4

(The Japanese commentators make me laugh! BBAAAAANNNNNNZAAAAAAAAIIIII)

just before that overtake they had commented that the underside of alonso's car had suffered some damage.
Maybe he wasnt able to compete as well as he would have liked.

DIABLO636 said:
just before that overtake they had commented that the underside of alonso's car had suffered some damage.
Maybe he wasnt able to compete as well as he would have liked.

I think that was just the commentators trying to find some logical reason, at that moment, as to why Sato was able to pass Alonso. Was there something wrong with Alonso's car in the first corner of the opening lap? Was there something wrong with Alonso's car the next three times he made exactly the same mistake? Or was there something wrong with Alonso's head?

I think the super-rookie is starting to mess with Alonso's head!!!

If that's not the case, look at his desperation when rejoining the track on second corner. Alonso doesn't attempt to slow down much (until just before the grass, when its too late) knowing full well his team-mate and 20 other cars will come barreling through there, so what does he do? He joins the track at almost 90 degree's to everyone else and nearly takes out his team-mate... They are the actions of someone who's not thinking too straight!!

Clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Y5IpVx2DE

(Watch the last second of the clip for a familiar sight!)

wow, sounds like I missed a good one!

might have to start watching F1 again... currently getting my fix from touring cars and the Dunlop cup :)

Got to agree,,, the best race for a long time.......... It Kubica really did get away with just a spained ankle I'll be amazed!! That was the worse crash I've seen in a long time......

Just Plain Old said:
If Kubica really did get away with just a sprained ankle I'll be amazed!!
Prepare to be amazed....

ITV F1 Website said:
Robert Kubica has been discharged from hospital, less than 24 hours after his massive crash in the Canadian Grand Prix.

The BMW Sauber driver was released from Montreal’s Sacre Coeur hospital at noon on Monday, and drove himself away in a BMW X5.

Full Story: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=39591

A true testament to the safety and strength of the F1 Monocoque!!

As Kubica is okay I'm guessing its okay to post a link to a YouTube clip of the crash (Formula One Management have made copyright claims against nearly ALL clips of the crash so they have been removed. Can't understand why FOM would do this when there are thousands of other F1 clips (crashes or otherwise) on YouTube. Unless they requested they be removed 'just in case' before they knew Kubica was okay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGi1UA9cKL8

Here's a better quality clip, athough you don't really see the crash until around 1:30 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T04agQvc78

And finally, something the FOM can't remove, a spectators video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZ7iKXfLXs
It looked fast on the tv.... looks even faster up close and personal!! Watch it again though and watch the guy in white get outta there pretty sharpish!!!