Hey guys - is this a scam???

C_Audiboy

Vroom Vroom
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I've listed a Clio V6 on autotrader for a member of the family who doesn't have web access, so all the emails are coming to me.

I've received this one which I think is a bit dodgy. What do ya think???

HELLO,
I SAW THE ADVERT OF YOUR CAR WHICH IS FOR SALE.I AM OKAY WITH THE CONDITIONS OF THE CAR AND I AM READY TO BUY.I LIVE IN FRANCE. AM OKAY WITH YOUR PRICE OF £11,000

I CAN'T COME VIEW THE CAR AS I AM ALWAYS BUSY AT WORK BUT WITH WHAT I SAW ON THE ADVERT I AM SATISFIED .I WILL LIKE YOU TO SEND ME SOME PICTURES OF THE PRESENT LOOK OF THE CAR.I LOVE THIS PARTICULAR MODEL.I WILL BE VERY HAPPY IF THE CAR IS MINE.I WILL ALSO WANT YOU TO KNOW I WILL BE PAYING
WITH A BANKER'S DRAFT.

THE AMOUNT ON THIS DRAFT WILL BE MORE THAN THE PRICE OF YOUR CAR. IN WHICH THE EXCESS ON THE DRAFT WILL BE FOR MY AGENT FOR PICKUP.ONCE YOU HAVE FUNDS CLEARED IN TO YOUR ACCOUNT YOU WILL DEDUCT YOU MONEY FROM THE FUNDS AND WIRE THE EXCESS TO MY AGENT FOR PICKUP SO THAT HE CAN PROCEED WITH THE NECESSARY PAPER WORK AND ARRANGE WITH YOU A CONVINIENT DATE AND TIME HE CAN COME FOR PICKUP. IF YOU OKAY WITH THESE,YOU WILL HAVE TO GET BACK TO ME WITH SOME NECESSARY INFORMATION WHICH WILL BE NEEDED FOR THIS TRANSACTION TO PROCEED.THEYARE;

YOUR FULL NAME....
YOUR FULL ADDRESS WITH POSTCODE......
YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER...

NB....
THE NAME YOU GIVE WILL BE THE NAME YOU WILL SEE ON THE CHEQUE
AND IT WILL BE SENT TO THE ADDRESS YOU MAIL TO ME.YOUR PHONE NUMBER
IS FOR TIME TO TIME CONTACT.I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO A HAPPY
TRANSACTION.HOPING TO READ FROM YOU SOON.
REGARDS,
WRIGHT.

Something not 'wright' here me thinks.......

Standard Scam I'm afraid.........

Best reply would be, 'I look forward to receiving your stolen bankers draft *******'.........

I had a very similar one, when selling my car through autotader, bankers drafts that arent all they seem, you end up out of pocket & without a car usually. Press delete....

Also, if its stolen and the money goes into your account, it can come straight back out again without you knowing about it.

Its probably the King of Nigeria again, we're best mates, he emails all the time.

The way i believe it works is your bank will show funds in your account Before its cleared! the scammer relies on this, hoping that you will send them the X amount from your own funds in your account, the bank may even honour the cheque at this time. At some point they realise it's fake and guess you has to take it on the chin.

Also the grammer is not what i'd call typicall french translation, more like Chinese or even African.

Seem to be alot going round right now. I just wish Ebay UK would ban all Chinese and African IP's harsh i know but would cut the fraud by 70% or more i reckon

If you ever get paypal emails, ALWAYS go directly to the login page and check there. Don't click the link on the email you receive or believe what you read until you see it in your account.

EVERY mail i've read has given themselves away by poor grammer, however this one uses the excuse they're not in the country. Still a give away though

I had exactly the same one sent to me when I was selling a boat! I just e-mailed them and told them when they know the difference between a boat and a car I'd talk to them.

I had nearly the same word for word when i was selling my audi cab for £4995 and the french geezer said he'd give me 11k!, at that point I ignored it.

Email them back, tell them it's either cash (Sterling) on collection, which will be paid into your bank before you hand over the keys, or

You will accept their bankers draft, however they have to allow 1 month for it to clear.

unfortunately they do!

i know a person who has, and they did a big article on it in the Sunday Mail (i think) a few years ago.

Hiya. I had quite a few when I was selling my car. Was it from a Yahoo email address?
If so, inform Yahoo and they will barr them. I did it!
:w00t: