Buying a compact digital camera - Advice or recomendations please

DIABLO636

Reaction score
Had posted this in the photography section but no replies yet......
Thought i would try again the general section.........

I did own a very handy Sony P100 digital camera until my beloved sister borrowed it and then dropped it. (idiot - not a clumsy 10yr old.....she is 37)
Its beyond repair so for the last few months ive had to use my camera phone for any photos, and while its a 3.2 mega pixel Sony k800i its first use of obviously is as a phone......so its just not cutting the mustard.

Ive got about £200 to spend (on a bundle deal to get memory card, spare battery maybe and a case).
Ive been reading good reviews about the following and was wondering of anybody new about it or could recommend something else.

Fuji Finepix F31FD ---

http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Fuji_Finepix_F31fd_Mega_kit_1052. html

I was hoping to get something with some manual setting especially for aperture and shutter speeds, but dont need anything too flash or too complicated - will be mostly used for point and shoot but if im taking some nice scenery/night time shots some manual settings would be nice.

Anyway any advise or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance......

I have 2 Fujifilm Cameras, 1 is the S7000 and the other is a small one kinda like the 1 you have linked to. They are an excellent camera and can't fault them, the only gripe is battery life.
I got my cameras from MacDigiCam in the states, they have changed names now but I got an 800 quid camera for 300, have a little google.

cheers for the link, will have a look
have heard about this problem with battery life from a friend of mine - the reviews i have read have commented onn the excellent battery life of the models linked, maybe they have sorted this problem onn this model ???

anyway will check out the link you have posted.....
:icon_thumright:
Cheers

So much choice. Fuji, olympus, canon, sony or pentax all within that price range. I've got a pentax S7 and it's great, but there's not much in it. I'd go for any of the above.

arthurfuxake said:
So much choice. Fuji, olympus, canon, sony or pentax all within that price range. I've got a pentax S7 and it's great, but there's not much in it. I'd go for any of the above.

They all do such a large range its sometimes difficult to tell the difference between them. Got a few good webites to visit now to get some advice.

May actually call into a local camera retailer and get my hands on some of them to try them out....

I just picked up the Casio Exilim ex-z75 for the wife,
takes Sd memory and has a lion battery so you can get a good 150+ on 1 charge (flash and setting Dependant)
just got back from a holiday where i had the D40x and she had the casio, the pics are very good a very easy to use camera and tiny!
you should be able to get it around £150 + any extras
the best feature is "best shot" mode that gives you about 30 scenarios of typical scenes and sets it all up for you
here is a sample sunset

Got a few to consider now so hopefully should have something ordered by the end of the weekend.

Cheers All...

I have noticed that due to the current quality of digital cameras there is no 1 make which stands out above all the others......
Almost spoilt for choice now

Nobody has mentioned the unsung hero of the photography world, Ricoh! They make a fantastic little camera, Caplio R6, only 7.2 megapixels - however photo quality is excellent, and it's shining plus point is that it has the least shutter delay out of any digitals, so if you need to take that quick picture, it catches it rather than missing the photograph half a second later.

Have a serious look at Ricoh, couldn't recommend them highly enough, even though they are seen as Pentax's poorer relative, they are far from it.

top_g1.jpg

Personally I use the R5 an awful lot, which cost I think around £150 from Jessops online (which is a good quick reliable service).