Ignore the last thread-new problem-1.1 K-series metro.

Prawn

My other car is a MINI!!!!
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
righty then guys, ignore the other thread, ive got it going now, but theres a BIG problem!

i changed the head gasket, i did use new bolts in the end, just to be safe, after a fair bit of messing around, ive finally got it started today, which is great news.

however, theres a fairly big problem. it wont rev at all, it rough as hell, and sounds like its starving itself when you give it some throttle.

ill admit, i didnt do the cam belt when i did the head gasket, i just marked up the belt, and slid the cam out.

im now thinking that perhaps the cambelt slipped a tooth on the bottom pulley whilst it was all still apart. does this sound likely?

how easy is it to find the timming marks on the crank pulley and on the cam pulley to time the cam in again? i dont know which way it would have slipped, but its all i can think the problem could be.

hears a vid of it running, and me trying to throttle it on and off..... you can hear it sounds crazy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bMjONmQoLk

any help would be great guys, as ive only insured it for a week, and need to get it running sweetly and up to my gf's house in northants from portsmouth this week!

definately sounds like the timings out . i would take 1 plug out put long screw driver in there turn engine by hand until the driver comes up and feels it is on it way down , so you want it inbetween . look at crank pulley i think theres two dots which should be lined up with a notch on oil pump hosing , not sure about cam there should be a mark which should corespond with , id check this first see if it all lines up.

cheers for all the help guys!

the cars starting just fine now, although as you can hear its running TERRIBLY.

i did a compression test yesterday, and got exactly 200psi across all cylinders, so it appears the gasket is sealing well.

im now fairly sure its just a cam timming issue, so i need a day when its not TIPPING it down, and ill try and time the cam in properly, then see how i get on!