Newsgroups?

Issac Hunt

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Anyone know much about downloading stuff this way as an alternative to using bittorrent?

What sort of speeds can people achieve? I never seem to able to get above 50KB/s using bittorrent.

Hi ive used newsgroups for a while now and i can normally download at around 780kbps. Good thing about them is it will max out ur connection no matter what.

I use newsbin pro and signed up for giganews for my news server works out about a tenner or so a month. Plus i download my files from http://www.newzbin.com which costs about 25p a week.

Newsgroups are ace, i swear by them

I use newsbin pro and newzbin.com aswell, but I use http://www.news.astraweb.com/ instead. About 8 quid a month all in all.

Scooby - Only films that are in the cimema now may be bad quality (cam/TS) but dvd screeners are sometimes available, but you can always download a small sample to see what the quality is like.
If any film is on DVD you will be able to d/l it in DVD quality or HD quality.

Newzbin were last time I looked, not taking on any new subscribers.

Newsleecher is a better program, much easier to use than newsbin pro and giganews is an excellent server... I've heard.

I have been a member for years....

I don't like that v3 interface, i prefer the old style one

yea I stick to the old version in blue :)

& to the OP.. my speeds are around 700kbs

I used to love raping newzbin. I worked for an ISP, in the early days it was very laid back, you used to bring your hard drive into work, stick it in a PC and ream the news servers, the connection was as fast as the LAN as the kit was in the next room. In fact it was that bad that you used to come on shift and have to shut down edonkey and everything else that was running on it.

If your bothered about fast speeds Usenet is l33ch supreme