Saw a girl hit by a car...

SamDude

Reaction score
I saw someone getting hit by a car for the first time(*) in person this lunchtime.

I was waiting for the bus infront which was picking up/setting down passengers when a girl of about 16ish gets out, and runs behind the bus right infront of my car.

There was a bus on the other side of the road that she was running for and without stopping to look for cars on the other side of the road, she carried on running.

I saw an old Lexus coming at around 35 mph and the girl ran right into the road where the Lexus hits her.

I saw her fly through the air and roll a couple of times and I jumped out to see if she was OK. She stood up without a scratch and proceeded to try and board the bus!

The bus driver wouldn't let her on and other passengers waiting at the bus stop who also witnessed it insisted that she sit down and for someone to take her to the hospital (or call an ambulance).

Luckily she wasn't hurt, she'll probably be in shock and be hurting all over later on...

It made me realise that these things don't only happen on TV or on the news. Thank you for reading.

Stay safe, it only takes a moment... :sorry:

(*) Not counting the time that I myself was hit by a car when I was 14 and had my fractured bone sticking out of my ankle... :faint:

you have my sympathies. ive seen three people get run over, and one v near miss on me while driving.

no matter how many times you see it, it never gets any easier. i can remember each one to this day.

the worst has to be the 9yr old i nearly ran over. luckily i saw her running and didnt trust her as she went behind a parked van while being chased by a friend. i slowed down to what must have been less than 10mph. she did come out as i expected, but due to reaction times etc, i still caught her. i actually stopped on her shoe which had slid as she tried to turn. it scared the **** out of me.

Her mum brought her round to my house later that day to apologise but it still upset me! even seeing the mum clout the kid didnt help.

Not nice fella I was knocked down twice when i was younger, it ****** hurt

Good move by the people around switched on enough to make her wait and seek medical help, Seen people walk away from accidents before only to end up in hospital an hour later with broken bones once the shock and had worn off.

Speaking of shock, i have my Wife's Family over from Auz right now. My brother in law killed a guy who stepped in front of his car. He was pretty graphic but i won't share that. The guy who died was mentally Ill and had run out of his care centre. Anyhow Neville was told to wait by the emergency services, he looked down for, what must have been a few hours and when he looked up he was all alone. Got into his car drove a few miles, went into back of a car which lead to 5-6 car smash, carried on home still and went to bed. next thing he remembers was his Tradeschool mate banging on his motel door. It was 3 days after the accident, his body was in shock and had basically shut down all that time.

So technically i have a family member who's killed someone!

Seen a guy come of a motorbike at night with no lights on, flew over the bonnet of a car pulling into his path. He luckily only had a broken leg though it wasnt pretty seeing it poking out of his leg :/

Only ever seen one but it was a fatallity. A Pensioner tried to cross the M62 to get to his allotment at the other side of the motorway and got hit by a Capri. at the inquest his widow said he did it regularly.

i really felt for the chap driving the capri, i think if it had been me i wouldn't have been able to drive for months even though it wasn't his fault

I was in my mates transit van which was done up to look a bit like the A-teams (early 90's) and a seven year old girl ran in front of us,I shielded my eyes but saw the look of horror on this poor sods face..we hit her and she went about twenty feet across the road and jumped straight back up and I had to restrain her.minor cuts was all her injuries I think the bullbars on the front acted as a cushion as they were pretty flimsy

My workmates are car crash magnets ones still in hospital and another killed a woman last year which was deemed her fault...hope I don't attract one fingers crossed

All these stories remind me of a time me and my cousin hit some guy. It was soo weird, imagine this, the road is empty no cars no pedestrians apart from one guy who's like 200 meters away. So my cousin gets into the car and starts accelerating. The guy in front several hundred meters decides to start crossing the road. The car is still accelerating and I'm sitting in the passenger seat, were getting closer, and suddenly the guy realizes were coming his way, were still very far away, so we turn right and the guy goes right, we go left, he goes left, still accelerating (my cousin is a bit of a nut), anyway cut the long story short eventually we hit him, I saw him hit the bonnet, roll over the windscreen and then went flying to what looked like 4 meter up in the air and probably 8 meters back. and fell motionless. We went to see and thank god he got up, we took him to hospital and got him checked up, paid for his wounds and new sandals, hehe (btw this wasn't in the UK). I kinda rambled on didn't I? The flash back came back too intense

It's a very scary thing.
I hope you don't feel too bad.
I witnessed an accident last year in which the driver was killed, I was the first to get to him and I had to watch him die because there was nothing I could do. It sobered me up a lot, it's very rare that I speed these days, life is just worth too much

Funny you should post just now Les - remember I PM'd you about the stag night I went to in Cambridge? Well, I drove the minibus there and stayed completely sober all evening. Good job I always stay off the strong stuff when driving too, because while driving out of Cambridge at 2:30am, this drunk girl walks out in front of the minibus as the lights went green. Found the brake pedal in time thank god. My mates opened the windows and gave her some grief (for which we got the single finger salute) but jeez it was a close one.

I'm glad to hear it Ben123.
I'm afraid to say that our drunks seem exceptionally bad at the moment! I hope it didn't spoil your night out though. Did you manage to find all the best places?

ScoobyA4 said:
the worst has to be the 9yr old i nearly ran over. luckily i saw her running and didnt trust her as she went behind a parked van while being chased by a friend. i slowed down to what must have been less than 10mph. she did come out as i expected, but due to reaction times etc, i still caught her. i actually stopped on her shoe which had slid as she tried to turn. it scared the **** out of me.

Her mum brought her round to my house later that day to apologise but it still upset me! even seeing the mum clout the kid didnt help.

I feel for you on this, i had much the same,literally pushed the kid over with the bumper,He got up and ran away, the old bill turned up and i felt like the crim,i was in shock ***,I even got told off for moving the car to the curb to allow the school busses to pass by me safely
anyway scariest thing i have seen.

Les 51 said:
I'm glad to hear it Ben123.
I'm afraid to say that our drunks seem exceptionally bad at the moment! I hope it didn't spoil your night out though. Did you manage to find all the best places?
Yes it was good thanks. Couldn't park in the Queen Anne multi-storey in the end, because as we drove up to it, I realised that the roof-rack on top of our transit was going to foul the height barrier! So we carried on and eventually parked up in the small Pay and Display in Newmarket Road, near the roundabout with the A603.

Started in the pub opposite and worked our way into the city centre, stopping at every pub. Had a meal in All Bar One, then got a cab to "Talk Of The Town" (a slightly dodgy, rather poor strip club), and then back into the centre and finished up in the Ballare nightclub which wasn't bad at all.

Overall it was a good day out. Never been to Cambridge before but I recommend it :)

Glad you had a good night. Just goes to show I didn't know we had a strip club at all!
You probably know more about Cambridge than me now.