Is it illegal to use a tow rope on the motorway?

AndyMac

Retired from service
Reaction score
I always thought it was actually illegal to tow another car with a rope on the motorway, you had to use a fixed bar.
Can anyone settle this pub argument? Can't find anything concrete on the internet.
If it isn't it should be. I can't believe it isn't mandatory to have breakdown cover if you take your car on the road. It's £39 a year ***.

I always thought it was a solid bar affiar but like you I cant find anything on the net.

Legally no its not illegal, as long as the other vehicle is secure - i'll see what i can find to back it up lol

It is either a towing dolly or a fixed bar is ok for the motorway

So no conclusive proof then?
The AA/RAC use a solid bar as it's safer, not because it's a legal requirement.
I only ask as watching Traffic Cops the other day the police helped some girls dad tow their car off the motorway with a rope.

also with a bar, a 2nd driver not required, so the car can be towed driverless. this is why AA / RAC use bars.

ScoobyA4 said:
also with a bar, a 2nd driver not required, so the car can be towed driverless. this is why AA / RAC use bars.

You still need a 2nd driver with a bar!!

The only ones that dont need a 2nd driver are the full a-frame type which lift the front wheels of the 'towed' vehicle off of the road, either on an A-Frame trailer or on a lift on the rear of the towing vehicle.

With a bar, you definately still need a second driver, to steer, brake if possible etc, but its much easier for the 2nd driver to deal with than a rope.. I bought a spring loaded bar from machine mart last year, and at that time I understood there was legislation coming in to restrict the use of rope in favour of bars - have had a quick look and cant see anything specific on that though.

I think a rope could be illegal as can you imagine the carnage of a car that doesnt run trying to stop or steer with no power steering.

Not to mention what would happen if the rope whipped another car.

I have herd this before an believe it to be illegal.

Bit of a grey area this.

I'm guessing it's not technically illegal, otherwise there would be a definitive statement somewhere (and the cop of TV would not have been able to assist as he did on Traffic Cops the other night), but it ****** well should be.
I'm sure an insurance company would weasel out of any claim made due to an accident between one car towing another!

Is there a minimum speed on a motorway? I'm sure 50mph is the min. So, a car towing another car at 50mph would need quite a long rope to ensure a big enough gap for braking. But, I'm sure there is a maximum tow rope length, and it's not long enough for a 50mph tow.

Yes the minimum is 1.5m, the max is 4.5m i.e. an average car length, which as you say is nt long enough for safe use on a motorway. The only offence listed seems to be use of an unmarked tow rope on a motorway. Crazy.

Approached a tow van a couple of days ago that had an old cavalier hitched up. It caught my attention as it was 8pm, raining heavily and it had no lights on at all, just a dim orange light on top. As I came along side I realised it was actually all being towed by a ford galaxy - and towed with a rope.
The galaxy had hazards on, but these couldnt be seen from behind as they were blocked by the tow truck.
Not sure how legal that all was on the M25.