Volks AutosChris Nott

Status

Is it illegal to use a tow rope on the motorway?

I always thought it was actually illegal to tow another car with a rope on the motorway, you had to use a fixed bar.
    Can anyone settle this pub argument? Can't find anything concrete on the internet.
    If it isn't it should be. I can't believe it isn't mandatory to have breakdown cover if you take your car on the road. It's 39 a year FFS.

2. # ADS
    ADS

A5 TSFI

Status
    I always thought it was a solid bar affiar but like you I cant find anything on the net.
    Ranting about Audi Customer Service

6th Gear

Status
    Legally no its not illegal, as long as the other vehicle is secure - i'll see what i can find to back it up lol
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

Turbo Sport

Status
    yes it is illegal ! (on a motorway at least A & B roads are fine)
    it MUST be a fixed tow on motorways, why you think the AA & RAC etc have these things
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

3rd Gear

Status
    i bloody well hope its illegal

Aye you know it makes sense

Status
    It is either a towing dolly or a fixed bar is ok for the motorway

Status
    So no conclusive proof then?
    The AA/RAC use a solid bar as it's safer, not because it's a legal requirement.
    I only ask as watching Traffic Cops the other day the police helped some girls dad tow their car off the motorway with a rope.

ding dang do

Status
    also with a bar, a 2nd driver not required, so the car can be towed driverless. this is why AA / RAC use bars.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Has anyone checked the Highway Code?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

Status
    I checked it online but all it mentions is towing caravans and trailers

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyA4
    also with a bar, a 2nd driver not required, so the car can be towed driverless. this is why AA / RAC use bars.
    You still need a 2nd driver with a bar!!

The only ones that dont need a 2nd driver are the full a-frame type which lift the front wheels of the 'towed' vehicle off of the road, either on an A-Frame trailer or on a lift on the rear of the towing vehicle.

With a bar, you definately still need a second driver, to steer, brake if possible etc, but its much easier for the 2nd driver to deal with than a rope.. I bought a spring loaded bar from machine mart last year, and at that time I understood there was legislation coming in to restrict the use of rope in favour of bars - have had a quick look and cant see anything specific on that though.

ding dang do

Status
    fair play! confusion is ruling this morning on many things!

Masa'warty 3200... Talk To Me!

Status
    I think a rope could be illegal as can you imagine the carnage of a car that doesnt run trying to stop or steer with no power steering.

Not to mention what would happen if the rope whipped another car.

I have herd this before an believe it to be illegal.

Bit of a grey area this.
    Last edited by Beerzo; 18th May 2007 at 12:38.

Status
    I'm guessing it's not technically illegal, otherwise there would be a definitive statement somewhere (and the cop of TV would not have been able to assist as he did on Traffic Cops the other night), but it bloody well should be.
    I'm sure an insurance company would weasel out of any claim made due to an accident between one car towing another!

Controversial & Contradictive

Status
    Is there a minimum speed on a motorway? I'm sure 50mph is the min. So, a car towing another car at 50mph would need quite a long rope to ensure a big enough gap for braking. But, I'm sure there is a maximum tow rope length, and it's not long enough for a 50mph tow.
    53 A4 2.5TDi Quattro Sport 180 Tiptronic. Heated Buffalino leather, DVD Sat Nav RNS-E, TV, Bluetooth, 6 cd, BOSE, Colour DIS, Cruise Control, Auto lights and mirrors, Interior light pack, Heated mirrors.

Status
    Yes the minimum is 1.5m, the max is 4.5m i.e. an average car length, which as you say is nt long enough for safe use on a motorway. The only offence listed seems to be use of an unmarked tow rope on a motorway. Crazy.

Missed gear

Status
    Approached a tow van a couple of days ago that had an old cavalier hitched up. It caught my attention as it was 8pm, raining heavily and it had no lights on at all, just a dim orange light on top. As I came along side I realised it was actually all being towed by a ford galaxy - and towed with a rope.
    The galaxy had hazards on, but these couldnt be seen from behind as they were blocked by the tow truck.
    Not sure how legal that all was on the M25.
    B7 A4 Avant S-line Special Edition v2 2.0 TFSi - AmD stage 1 - 263Bhp 396Nm