Should Prince Harry be allowed to go to Iraq?

Should Harry Have Gone to Iraq?

• yes

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • no

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters

silver75

Big Ron
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6384825.stm

_39153894_harry203bod.jpg

Prince Harry will not be deployed in Iraq because of the threat to his and his men's security, Army chiefs have confirmed. That decision thwarts the Prince's stated desire to be involved in active service with his unit.
So they wont let him go.

Understandable that he will be a risk to others but what was the point in him joining the army??

Lets be realistic, Harry being who he is would be an irresistable target for any nutters out there & his presence would definately put everyone around him at even more risk. In my opinion he should not have made such a big deal about going out there.

I'm split...

yes because I think the royals should pull their weight with some hard graft.

no because his unit will be in more danger.

No he shouldn't be allowed to go because he'd put his own men at very high risk of capture or death.Imagine the delight of one of those so called combatants if they captured Harry.

No I don't think so due to :-

1. The extra risk to his unit.
2. The kudos / publicity that his capture or death would create for the insurgents/foreign government agencies.

Totaly different type of enemy to that faced by his Uncle (Prince Andrew) during the Falklands War.

My thoughts on the subject.

Paul

Couldn't care less about him, and in theory he should be sen tif he wants to go.

But it'd be irresponsible to put the lives of people around him at risk by sending him there, its dangerous enough.

i think he should go..i think they should play it so they publicise he isnt and send him anyways so no-one will know if his there or not...after all the so called royalty should pull their weight....having said that im against the war!!

There are far better ways for the Royals to "pull their weight" than sending one of them off to Iraq. What a waste of a valuable individual.

"i think they should play it so they publicise he isnt and send him anyways so no-one will know if his there or not"
Maybe that's exactly what they have done!

I'd have to say no too. Mainly due to the risk he'd put all of those around him in. The media hype and continual coverage if anything happened would be unbearable.

Gti Jazz Blue said:
Totaly different type of enemy to that faced by his Uncle (Prince Andrew) during the Falklands War.

Totally agree with you. If it were that style of combat, then I'd expect they'd have sent him.

Send Ewan Blair and his **** of a Dad who ordered our troops there

They way I see it, he's either a soldier or he isn't. If he's a soldier, then he should go wherever his regiment goes. If he doesn't, then he can't realistically continue to be a soldier.

Someone, somewhere, should have anticipated this situation a long time ago, arguably before he was ever accepted for a commission.

voorhees said:
Send Ewan Blair and his **** of a Dad who ordered our troops there

And his stupid money grabbing wife too

jdp1962 said:
They way I see it, he's either a soldier or he isn't. If he's a soldier, then he should go wherever his regiment goes. If he doesn't, then he can't realistically continue to be a soldier.

Someone, somewhere, should have anticipated this situation a long time ago, arguably before he was ever accepted for a commission.
I agree. If he's never going to be sent to combat what's the point of him being a soldier? And putting his unit at risk? I don't buy it - it's not like he's going to stand up and shout "YOOHOOO OSAMA! I'M HERE!" is it? If people want to kill our soldiers they will, regardless of whether there's a royal out there.

I dont think he should be allowed, dont get me wrong I couldnt give a toss about the monarchy but as a prime target I think he could be endangering everyone around him.

Also I wouldnt like to see how we would respond if he was captured/killed.

More trouble than its worth IMO.

silver75 said:
Understandable that he will be a risk to others but what was the point in him joining the army??

Exactly, he wanted to join and he's not scared. Plus, if he does go to Iraq and gets his head blown off - he'll be hailed a hero.

jdp1962 said:
They way I see it, he's either a soldier or he isn't....

Exactly my point in my 1st post. He joined the army in 2005, seeing as we were and still are in the middle of a war, so what was the point of him joining up!?

I'm split too.

the royals mean fluff all now, so he isnt anything special, plus his brother is next in line.

but, where i still in and being shipped out, i wouldnt want him stood anywhere near me! might as well stick a poster on my back saying 'kick me' if he was there...

all soldiers know the risk anyway when the sign up in the first place - why should he be any different or the situation be any different if he did go?

war is a risk they are willing to take - even if it is stupid!

its the increased risk that follows him that is the problem.

I joined knowing i could go to Ireland or Bosnia, but if he was there, i would be thinking twice! they will try harder to get him due to the high profile that follows!

I think *he* should go, but unforunatley, it does put the rest of his unit in greater danger...

Put him on his own out there?

send him on to the back streets of most cities and towns! why pay his airfare to Iraq?

He shouldn't have been allowed to join the arm in the first place. This is going to be a situation in any war. What use will he serve for the army?

I say throw him out.

He was never going to deploy and should never have been allowed to join in the first place. Pure propaganda, I think the establishment were hoping the War effort would have been scaled down by the time he had completed basic training and he could go in relative safety.

I'm ****** glad he wont be going, I shall be there in July and I'm glad he isnt part of my regiment, I can say for a FACT that the insurgents would have found out his whereabouts if he were to step outside of the wire, they have 'eyes and ears' inside most military installations across Iraq. Not to mention the assistance of the Iranians that flows over the border on a daily basis.

silver75 said:

Beats stacking shelves in tescos or working for the council doing one collection a fortnight...

But seriously, the MOD havent made this easy for themselves, one minute he can go, next minute he cant, then all of a sudden he can again...

Theres plenty of worthwhile jobs out there that he could easily do but are not in a dangerous frontline position, the MOD should of kept quiet and let him do his bit like he wanted to but instead they handled the whole thing like a bunch of *******.

Regardless of him being in the Royal family, compared to some of the scum that live in the UK hes a good lad so fairplay to him.

BTW Isaac, take a few extra dollars with you for the American PX in Qattar which you might stop off at, dirt cheap IBM laptops and Ipods, very nice...