EM TuningMonster Motorsport
    Maz
    Moon is made of green cheese

Status

Talking Porsche Cayman S

Hi all,
    I've been invited to test drive one of these babies for 45 mins this Sunday morning.

Has anyone had any experience of driving one or could suggest a particular approach to driving it. (I hope its not a flappy paddle jobby).

...There is no way I can afford one at the mo, but I wasnt going to pass up this opportunity.

I will also post some pics afterwards.

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boydie
    as some say in ireland (not me) "drive 'er like ye stole 'er"

id start off slowly then build up - by the end of the 45mins id be going pretty quick id think!

my dad got a 911 drive offer in a while ago - not his scene so i was well up for it but it said in the small print, invitee only!

6th Gear

Status
    If its dry then you will be able to absolutely rag it, should be immense grip on offer, just watch your throttle control on the corners and all will be well.

My mate had a boxster and the handling was superb so a cayman should be even better

Start off slowish and build up to proper fun factor levels lol
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

Maz

Status
    thanks for the replies,
    to tell you the truth I'm well up for it, I specifically went for the sunday morning slot to make the most out of less traffic etc... I just hope the weather doesn't dissapoint.

can wait to experience that 0-60 acceleration... according to reviews etc they are a cracking drive.

I doubt I'll get an opportunity like this again so after the 10min warm up the salesman or whatever will be handcuffed and gagged whilst I take advantage... of the car!!! :0)

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Counting the Tesco Club points

Status
    Cayman or Cayman S

The Cayman S is a great car..Drives alot better then the boxster.

Grip and balance is perfect even in the wet!

Have fun mate
    Audi RS6 Daytona GreyLoving all 455.7BHP of her

Maz

Status
    What can I say!?!
    well worth waking up for on a Sunday morning!

So a mate and I pull up at the showroom and there she was gleaming in the sun prepped and ready to go. http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02280en4.jpg

I must admit the Cayman S is gorgeous to look at and I was licking my lips at the thought of flooring it as soon as I got the chance.

Once all the niceties with the reception and sales staff were over it was time to meet one of the "enhanced driving instructors" for a rundown of the car and its technical specifications. (zzz... gimme the keys!!!) Top-man, this guy knew his stuff and it also added to the experience rather than a salesman giving it all that...

The instructor demonstrated the Caymans immense handling abilities and grip as we done a short circuit and a few demo laps around a mini roundabout at breakneck speeds which was simply amazing!!!

Once the wait was over and I got my chance I couldnt believe how simple it was to drive... effortless would be a better way to describe it as the power delivery is superb and the manual gearbox was a joy to use. Brake feel was a different class and you get real feeling for how sure footed the car really is.

All in all it was a great experience and if I did have the means, one of these would be on my wish list but for the meantime the S3 is all good.

few GT3 pics...

http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02284ro4.jpg
    http://img185.imageshack.us/my.php?i...sc02283wi8.jpg

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

2nd Gear

Status
    mmm... lovely!

they do look really nice :D
    - Andrew

Vroom Vroom

Status
    Ah very nice, the car I've had my eye on for a while!!

The budget can't quite stretch to a Cayman S at the moment as the used prices are still silly, you can't get anything below 40k. So I've gone and bought myself a lovely 987 Boxster (same running gear as the Cayman) which I hopefully pick up early next week
    -------------------------

987 Boxster 2.7 (05) - Current
    A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line (55) - gone
    S3 Quattro (02) - gone

6th Gear

Status
    Oooo lovely, what colour?

Vroom Vroom

Status
    Seal Grey mate, here it is......

Took a while to find a decent spec, but now I cant wait!!

Its only a 2.7 but I reckon 245 BHP will be enough for me. The noise and the grip is immense!!!

987 Boxster 2.7 (05) - Current
    A3 2.0T Quattro S-Line (55) - gone
    S3 Quattro (02) - gone

6th Gear

Status
    Mmmm love boxsters, hopefully ill be able to afford one in a few years. Get a matching hard top for it, finish it off in the winter.

2nd Gear

Status
    really not a fan of the Boxster, however the Cayman looks awesome :D
    - Andrew

1st Gear

Status
    Wow, The boxster is a beauty, great colour by the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    M30RCK
    Audi A4 2.0TDI S Line - Quartz Grey - Symphony 6 CD
    (Under promise, over deliver....)

va va voom

Status
    Cayman S what a car

my mate has just got one, been out in it the whole day, wish i had the money for one, will get pics and post them later
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L
    2005 Audi A3 1.6 sport grey with climate control
    2003 Audi A3 1.6 sport black without climate contol

Status
    The thing everyone notices about Boxters, Caymen or 911s is that they always feel quicker than the power figures suggest.
    They always excite too...regardless of the engine spec...brilliant brakes, and a chassis with feedback..that'll be a culture shock coming from an Audi!

I could have bought any number of faster top speed / noisier / quicker to 100 / better looking (subjective) / or heaven forbid any one of many cheap, tacky mental power Japanese rockets...but none feel as complete as a Porsche...and none take quite so much hard work to drive 'committed' or reward so well.

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

va va voom

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three
    The thing everyone notices about Boxters, Caymen or 911s is that they always feel quicker than the power figures suggest.
    They always excite too...regardless of the engine spec...brilliant brakes, and a chassis with feedback..that'll be a culture shock coming from an Audi!

I could have bought any number of faster top speed / noisier / quicker to 100 / better looking (subjective) / or heaven forbid any one of many cheap, tacky mental power Japanese rockets...but none feel as complete as a Porsche...and none take quite so much hard work to drive 'committed' or reward so well.
    So true

My mate told me that if anything goes wrong with the engine, they wont bother fixing it for you but replace it with a brand new engine free of charge, so porsche can research on the engine so it doesnt happen again
    ~ ~ ~2003 Audi S3 BAM ~ Ming Blue ~ 18" BBS Alloys ~ Heated Black Leather ~ Forge DV ~ RNS-E ~ denison ipod link~ parrot mk6100 bluetooth ~ ~ ~

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rickparmar
    So true

My mate told me that if anything goes wrong with the engine, they wont bother fixing it for you but replace it with a brand new engine free of charge, so porsche can research on the engine so it doesnt happen again
    That's true if it's under warranty...just slot in another engine or gearbox, and the wrecked bits go back to Zuffenhausen for stripping (usually)

Out of warranty it's up to the owner though...

Hence, the need for an extended warranty!

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

thats me

Status
    one day i will own a porsche, I will I tell you I will

just need the wife to stop spending my money ..........and wanting another kid

oh well might get one when im too old to enjoy it
    red to red black to black blue to bits

va va voom

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ess_Three
    That's true if it's under warranty...just slot in another engine or gearbox, and the wrecked bits go back to Zuffenhausen for stripping (usually)

Out of warranty it's up to the owner though...

Hence, the need for an extended warranty!

How much is the extended warrenty roughly, so i can let him know!

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L

Status
    It's £895 per year, after the 2 year Porsche warranty expires..it went up last year - was only £725.

£895 isn't cheap...but next to £10,000 for an exchange engine or £6,000 for an exchange gearbox, it's cheap insurance.

I've had minor stuff changed under mine (horn, one of the Sports Exhaust back boxes) and never had a quibble.

Please note:

va va voom

Status
    Cheers buddy will let him know that,

Still need Remap

2007 Audi S3 8L