Any fitness freaks on here?

A3_Turbo

Swaying towards IHI....
Reaction score
Hi guys just wondered if you could possibly help me out?

Im 18 about 5,10 and around 10 stone, Been trying to put weight on for ages now and eating just doesn’t work!

Ive started going down the gym about 3 times a week for 2 hours a time. I also take this muscle/mass gain drink once before I go to the gym and once when I get back.

Just wondered if im doing the right thing? Don’t want to be loosing weigh that’s the last thing I want to do,

Ive put on a few kg’s already but im guessing that’s because ive put on muscle which weighs more than fat?

Cheers

what food you eating its ok eating a load of stuff but if its not the right stuff you wont get anywhere

when i started out i used to have things like plenty of fish,meat,rice,plenty of eggs and you gotta have something like 7 meals a day and drink plenty of raw eggs and milk full fat if you go to your doctors he can advise you and he can give you leaflets on the right food stuff

I've been going to the gym a while now, almost reached my target of 12st. I'm 5ft 6ins and when I started I was under 10 stone!!

Training 3 times a week is good, remember to rotate the body parts though - ie do chest + triceps 1 day, back and biceps another etc. This gives the muscle groups time to recover - that's when they grow!!!

If you are trying to put on weight I'd say diet is the most important thing. I trained for ages and never managed to get anywhere, all due to a crap diet. Whey protein powder is a must. Like you mention pre and post workout, as well as when you get up in the morning. Chicken, Steak, Rice, oats are all the way to go. Lots of small meals are better too. You should be consuming some sort of protein every 2 - 3 hours during the day.

But hey, everyone is different, you just have to find what works for you.

Loads of stuff out there on the web (see Silver's post).......

HTH

there are several techniques you can try in the gym to help put weight on

are you doing any cardio? if so and you want to put mass on, stop all cardio (maybe run/swim/cycle once/twice a week)

what supplements are you using?

a good protein diet will see you lose faty weight and gain muscle mass and weight

i take it you also would prefer muscle mass to fat mass?

if you log onto the maximuslce website or USN site they have plenty of supplements and guides to try out

for pure muslce mass i would recommend the hypertrophy technique when gyming - basically for example you lower your normal bench press (say 80 to 60), do 5 reps to 4 sets and take 10seconds per rep (5 secs up, 5 sec down) this applies to other exercises like squats, curls, lat pull downs etc...

its a real killer but good more muscle mass

but it seems you are on the right direction but as you have noticed it is harder to put on the muslce mass than fatty mass

and as said before you are still young and you will notice a big change over the next couple of years!

im about to start my pre season training for rugby - going to go back onto creatine which helps a lot

also L-Glutamine as well as protein shakes

lol i sound like a junkie!

do your abs everyday and dont forget your legs - i hate doing legs but they are a very heavy part of your body which develope quite well!

jojo said:
I'll stick to pressing the buttons on my remote in my armchair, to change channels :) That's how fit I am lol

Like your train of thought there Joe, i'll also add a few keystrokes and sly mouse drags too.

I'm 5' 5" & now weigh 10 stone. I've been training for yrs. Never been able to put much weight on. Altho this is prob due to not having the right diet & doing loads of cardio :rolleyes:

Since xmas i've managed to put about 1/2 stone on. I've been using Reflex Micro Whey protein shakes & making sure i eat plenty of chicken, fish etc on top of the shakes.

TBH i don't wanna get much bigger. The sports i do kinda dictate that i need to be on top of things with my cardio otherwise i'd be running out of steam before the other guys which would prob end up with me gettin an *** kickin!! :confused:

I've always said that i'd rather have a good set of lungs & a healthy heart than be able to lift more than somebody else ;)

Like somebody else has said, at 18 your still young & your body will still be growing/changing. You may also be 1 of those people that just struggle to put weight on. I've always struggled. The amount of people that still say, "you'll fill out when you get older". Well i've just turned 33 & don't look much different to when i was 23. Just a bit less hair on my head :)

It's not just all the cardio that keeps the weight off. All my family are like clones. My dad is 60 & isn't much bigger than me, 99% of blokes in the family are almost the same height & build. I've trained in various sports for about 15yrs. Had a 2yr break after an injury. Did ****** all apart from play on the PS2 & each chocolate etc. Didn't put 1 single bit of weight on

If it's in your genes then there may not be a great deal you can do about it without putting 200% into it & going mad with protein, weight gains & lifting weights.

Decide what you want then plan your diet to suit your needs ;)

Craig :cool:

I was the same as you. When i was 17/18 i was 9 stone and i'm 6ft1. I tried everything to put on weight but it wasn't happening. Now i'm 21 and i'm 14 stone.

Didn't change my diet or anything, just metabolism slowing down i guess.

Im nearly 40 years young and due to the fact that I have been married for approx 14 years and also due to the fact that I now sleep in the back bedroom, have, due to my rigurous fitness regime very well developed forearms, bit like popeyes, tell a lie, I now have a very well defined right arm forearm still like popeyes,:meeting: and a grip like a vice, and as soon as my eyesight returns and the hairs on the back of my palm dissapear i'll be in my prime again, remember no pain no gain and also remember keep a old pair of socks next to the bed or a box of tissues

craigynett said:
I'm 5' 5" & now weigh 10 stone. I've been training for yrs. Never been able to put much weight on. Altho this is prob due to not having the right diet & doing loads of cardio :rolleyes:

Since xmas i've managed to put about 1/2 stone on. I've been using Reflex Micro Whey protein shakes & making sure i eat plenty of chicken, fish etc on top of the shakes.

TBH i don't wanna get much bigger. The sports i do kinda dictate that i need to be on top of things with my cardio otherwise i'd be running out of steam before the other guys which would prob end up with me gettin an *** kickin!! :confused:

I've always said that i'd rather have a good set of lungs & a healthy heart than be able to lift more than somebody else ;)

Like somebody else has said, at 18 your still young & your body will still be growing/changing. You may also be 1 of those people that just struggle to put weight on. I've always struggled. The amount of people that still say, "you'll fill out when you get older". Well i've just turned 33 & don't look much different to when i was 23. Just a bit less hair on my head :)

It's not just all the cardio that keeps the weight off. All my family are like clones. My dad is 60 & isn't much bigger than me, 99% of blokes in the family are almost the same height & build. I've trained in various sports for about 15yrs. Had a 2yr break after an injury. Did ****** all apart from play on the PS2 & each chocolate etc. Didn't put 1 single bit of weight on

If it's in your genes then there may not be a great deal you can do about it without putting 200% into it & going mad with protein, weight gains & lifting weights.

Decide what you want then plan your diet to suit your needs ;)

Craig :cool:

hobbits.jpg

If you want to gain muscle mass as fast as possible and you have a high metabolism, then eat as much as possible. It is very hard to lay down just lean muscle.

You will lay down some fat as well as muscle, but you can burn that off later.

When i used to body-build (fair while ago now lol) i was eating around 6 or 7 thousand calories a day and maxxed out at around 19 stone (not fat).

Concentrate on your core muscle groups (squats and such), as arm muscles etc will only naturally get big when you have a solid foundation for them to grow upon.

Remember that your skeleton also has to grow larger anchor points to take the larger muscles/tendons/ligaments, and like growing muscle this only happens slowly

Always work to failure, as this is the only thing other than severe trauma/injury that will make your body release the max amount of the right hormones.

The true key to getting big is dedication, if you constantly put your body under stress a few times a week for several years you can not fail to massively increase in mass and become very very strong.

Dont smoke, drink lots of water, and as mentioned above only change to a more aerobic exercise regime temporarily if you think you are gaining to much fat.

If you can, cat-nap during the day/evening for at least an hour, as this will provoke the body to releases extra growth hormones.

Protein supplements like whey are excellent, but dont overlook simpler foods like eggs and liver.

Onlyme said:
Im Sober now though :beerchug:

You've reminded me of a quote I once read from Winston Churchill (I think) - a woman once said to him: "Sir, you are drunk!". To which he replied: "Madam, you are ugly. But in the morning I shall be sober!"

A3Turbo, as for gaining weight, like Arthurfuxake said - you can have some of mine!

Modern nutritional science seems to have moved on quite a considerable amount since a few of you guy's were bulking :)

Pretty much the leading figure in nutrition for bodybuilding and strength training is John Berardi.

For putting on weight properly, try:

http://www.scrawnytobrawny.com/

Look on T-Nation for the many articles by John Berardi if you dont want to pay for the whole thing condensed into a book as per above link.

Personally, I suffer the other way round and get too fat too easily but the fundamentals are stll the same, lots of complete lean protein, fish oil and minimum supplements, combined with a decent training regime.

One of the absolute best Berardi books is 'Gourmet Nutrition', go look at

http://www.johnberardi.com

What I do is a 3 day split which I do for 8 weeks and then I have a week off and change my routine and mix it up again.

At the moment its Mon - Chest and Tri's.

Wed - Shoulders and Legs.

Fri - Back and Bi's.

I used to not ever have weeks off as I used to think it was not going to help. But then I got ill one christmas so took a month off and when I went back I was not any weaker so now I know having a week off is a good thing and now try and have one every 8 weeks.

I found it hard to put on weight but it will come. Dont worry too much about your weight, just if you keep getting stronger than you will be fine.