Top gear childish?(JC)

fallmonk

Turbo Sport
Reaction score
Website
www.filshill.co.uk
The lead presenter of the Top Gear television programme, Jeremy Clarkson, has cast fresh doubts on when the show will be back on air and in what format.

Writing in his Top Gear magazine blog, Clarkson firstly says that the show definitely won’t be back on air this summer due to a delayed filming schedule following Richard Hammond’s 300mph crash. Clarkson claims the earliest that Top Gear could be back on air is October.
However, the presenter admits that the programme has evolved away from its original purpose as a car show, saying that the last series was “full of us three cocking about, and almost completely devoid of anything you might fairly call a ‘road test’”. Clarkson then goes on to say that the makers of the programme are at a loss as to how to take the show forward.

While admitting that Top Gear now receives some of the highest viewing figures on the BBC, the series finale attracted 8.6 million viewers, Clarkson agrees with critics that the current programme is “an entertainment show for the terminally childish”. While he states a desire to exhaustively test more cars in the future, he admits that this is unlikely to attract the sort of audience that wants to, “flop down on a Sunday night and watch entertaining telly”. For once Motormouth seems rather at a loss and has appealed to the readers of his blog for suggestions on what they would like to see in the next series of Top Gear.

http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/car_news_article.aspx?cp-documentid=4698387

I'm inclined to agree. I'm not saying I want them to review the latest Yugo but I think they've got carried away with doing stunts and those "races". Stick to the reviews and face-offs of supercars, that's what I want to see.

I also like it when they do pieces about older cars; I think I caught a repeat on Sky recently where they did a bit about Jaguar and some of their supercars from the 70s. I really enjoyed that and would like to see more of the historical perspective on cars. Not Model Ts, but legendary, exciting old cars.

I don't really care much for car programmes on TV but i'll watch topgear if it's on mainly because it's a bunch of blokes ragging the **** off cars i'm never likely to own.

Like Batwad says though, a bit of motoring heritage wouldn't go a miss.

I really don't see what the issue is with TG. It's fantastic entertainment centered around cars, regardless of the lack or inclusion of factual info on the latest models.
All they need to add is a TopGear+ on BBC3 with all the more serious bits on it.

^^^ thats exactly what i thought. TG is great entertainment if they need to do more then they can do a spin off

I love top gear but have to admit to thinking the last series was a bit poor in comparison to the last few. A whole show about resurfacing a road, what was that all about..?? The old shows are repeated constantly on Sky but I think they are far better. Maybe the last series was a little flat due to Hammonds accident or something.

They should have a bit more about about tuning on there. Caught a show the other day where they had 3 mini's going head to head, Hartge, JC Works and another one I cant remember. Also the XJS with Nitrous.

Its still a cracking show though and it doesn't put me of having my name down on the waiting list for tickets.

I've said before that the format of them messing around makes good TV, but it isn't really a car show. I'd still like to see them doing some proper 'cars that you might buy rather than just dream of' group tests.

Remember, Clarkson left TG before - it survived - just.

You can go and test drive a real car at your local dealership and make your own mind up.

Topgear is all about the cars you will probably never get the chance to drive like you stole it.

I know and point taken.

As someone said earlier, a couple of years ago they did a test of three minis with different tuning options on each of them. An article about real cars that people might buy. A chance for them to test the manufacturers claims and do some real head to head tests.

Three blokes messing around in the US for an hour. Great TV, but not a motoring show.

Does anyone Know when the new series of Postman Pat is too be Aired ?