Monster MotorsportChris Nott
    3rd Gear

Status

Marines/Sailors selling stories

Personally I think that the Sailors marines that were held captive should not be allowed to sell there storys for at least 10 years, I also feel that they should have kept tight lipped about what did and didnt happen rather than broadcast to the world on the news, Also the bit I cant work out is why when they were shown as hostages were they usually shown with great big smiles on there faces, fair enough if you have to say what the Afghans want you to say then say it but dont stand there with great big grins on your faces.

Personally I feel that allowing the ones that have to sell there stories to the papers is disgusting because If and hopefully it wont another group are taken hostage then you can nigh on gurantee they will not come home.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    totally agree .....They signed up for the army they cant expect it to be all rosie and if they do get caught come back greeting like babies they should be discharged.......real men and woman are dying out there
    Urq RR
    S2 Coupe...RS2 +
    S2 Avant (slipper wagon spec)
    A4 AVANT TDI

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Andy McNab and Chris Ryan have done it the right way, they were held by the iraqis and made to eat their own ****, but they kept their mouths shut for years and then wrote a book about it.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

4th Gear

Status
    The Iranians used propaganda when the Marines were over there. Now they are home I feel we are using the same! These people are being singled out because of media hype, what about all the other people suffering and dying every day?
    A5 2.0T Sport Brilliant Black

bloody great extension bodger

Status
    I agree entirely, they sould be given a dishonourable discharge and have their MOD pensions frozen or written off. just adds to the mockery of this so called war!

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scrupes
    I agree entirely, they sould be given a dishonourable discharge and have their MOD pensions frozen or written off. just adds to the mockery of this so called war!
    Don't know about mockery to the war, more like mockery to the whole fu*king country, we look like a bunch of C*nts
    Chris

See my images @

4th Gear

Status
    It's remarkable how the general feeling has changed; a week ago we all wanted our beloved soldiers back, now they've sold their stories we hate them! Don't blame them, blame the media and arserags like The Sun.

Would you say no if someone offered you £30k for a chat?
    03 A3 (8L) TDi quattro Sport, Aluminium Silver with leather, armrest, cruise, xenons and me at the wheel

VOIP Dude

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by batwad
    Don't blame them, blame the media and arserags like The Sun.
    Or the people who buy the papers.... People buy the "news"paper, read the story then complain like buggery because of how the information was sourced, or how scandalous it is that they can intrude on someone's privacy etc etc. Then, next day - buy the same paper.
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black

Amusing Tagline

Status

Audi A6 1.8T Avant

Alfa 156 3.0 V6 Veloce

3rd Gear

Status
    I believe the fat bird was paid a 6 figure sum I hope she sleeps easy with all her money all im moaning about is the fact that if ever Iran capture more sailors, soldiers ect you can gurantee that they will be coming back in body bags which is why if I was in the same situation I would not have sold my story no matter how much the papers offer because if a service man gets caught and is excuted due to these people selling there stories I would not be able to live with myself, in my view the two numpties that have sold there stories have done it for pure GREED and have guranteed a death sentece for any other service personel, they have **** on there comrades

VOIP Dude

Status
    I do agree, and personally no amount of money could make me sell the story - but if the tabloids could not guarantee that they will make millions (and they will) from things like this then these kind of stories would be worthless to them.

I'm all for knowing that our politicians/royals/other notability and "superstars" are doing genuinely bad stuff - but do I want to know what they get up to in their bedrooms? How many times they can get it up in one night? No, not really. Having said that - I don't buy or read newspapers of any sort because of that reason, and because half the time what they print is total rubbish.
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by OutLore
    Having said that - I don't buy or read newspapers of any sort because of that reason, and because half the time what they print is total rubbish.
    Totally agree. I have not bought a "newspaper" in years. Who wants to read scandal and yesterdays news anyway? I find all the info I want either online or on TV.
    A5 2.0T Sport Brilliant Black

4th Gear

Status
    I'm not sure about the "guaranteed death sentence" but I do agree that it was an ill-thought-out decision for them to sell their stories. Stories you sell to tabloids are sleazy sex-romps involving cocaine and prostitutes, not international political affairs when your country's in the middle of a war. It's totally inappropriate and selfish.
    03 A3 (8L) TDi quattro Sport, Aluminium Silver with leather, armrest, cruise, xenons and me at the wheel

5th Gear

Status
    A totally unjustifiable decision, for many reasons, by a Government that is only capable of such.........

On an individual basis for those involved I guess being released unharmed was a good result, however it doesn't do much for national pride to have them captured without a shot being fired!

Also the limp wristed responce of our Government............ I would have prefered to have seen a clear demonstration that they were in Iraqi waters (if indeed they were), followed by a demand for their immiediate release, with the threat that failure to do so would be considered an act of war.....!!
    In my personal opinion

Big Ron

Status
    ..maybe but war with Iran would not be a good idea at the mo

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Chris

See my images @

Big Ron

Status
    ..not trying to diss Iranians but I typed Miss Iran in google to find a reason not to nuke the place as sugested in Chris' above post and got this

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

My BM is fixed!

Status
    FPMSL!!
    Chris

See my images @

My BM is fixed!

Status
    This woman can grate cheese anywhere
    Chris

See my images @

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Old
    On an individual basis for those involved I guess being released unharmed was a good result, however it doesn't do much for national pride to have them captured without a shot being fired!
    I don't get this argument. We got them back quicker, safer and more cheaply than if we'd have gone in guns blazing.

Diplomacy works. Go and chum up to Dubya and you can tickle each other's balls with your itchy trigger fingers.

Turbo Sport

Status
    Personaly i think it was a error BUT it was done with the M.O.D.s permission , so the crew are well withing there rights to make some cash out this ,lets face it tony blair will do the rounds touring unis/collages seminars etc and writing his memories , explaining why we went to war do you think he will be doing this free???????????????????????????????

How many war books are out there ?
    How many films about war? taken from a pilot/soldiers/saliors experiances ?

just remeber "todays top story /next weeks chip wrapper"
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

Uber Post Whore

Status
    They shouldn't off sold them, totally disgusting.

2013 AUDI A3 SB S-LINE : 2.0 TDIQ 184 : GLACIER WHITE :
    : S-TRONIC : COMFORT PACK : SD SAT NAV : FOLDING MIRRORS : HEATED SEATS: RIGID BOOT LINER :

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by batwad
    I don't get this argument. We got them back quicker, safer and more cheaply than if we'd have gone in guns blazing.

Diplomacy works. Go and chum up to Dubya and you can tickle each other's balls with your itchy trigger fingers.
    That's what I'm saying,,,,,,,,, for the individuals concerned, it was a good outcome! But doesn't do much for National pride......... Geddit??

And sometimes diplomacy on it's own is useless,,,,,,,, unless backed up by a credable threat of force!
    In my personal opinion

Beer God

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro
    Andy McNab and Chris Ryan have done it the right way, they were held by the iraqis and made to eat their own ****, but they kept their mouths shut for years and then wrote a book about it.
    McNab waited only three years and is now banned from setting foot back in the SAS's Hereford base and is shunned by most of his former colleagues.

IMO, the MOD wanted these people to sell their stories to get their side across and get some good PR back, however foolish these sailors (they were RN, not Marines or Army.) were they have done this with the backing of the Government and the MOD who have now hung them out to dry which they didnt deserve, typical Labour cock-up...
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

3rd Gear

Status
    Andy Mcnab or anyone else selling stories years after the event is not a problem, selling your story within days of returning is a major problem for any other service man that is out there at the moment, If anymore get caught then they will most probably suffer the death sentence which if the Afghans took these last lot to court would have been the outcome it would have been a death sentence, so now if the Afghans capture anymore service personell they will just say that the the British government has not learnt a thing and that the last captives after being treated so well by the Afghans basically run back to Brittain to sell there stories.

Big Ron

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Onlyme
    Afghans... ..

Smart Roadster 03
    Ford Sportka 05

3rd Gear

Status
    Silver are you related to George dubya bush ?

Beer God

Status
    Silver are you related to George dubya bush ?
    No he isnt but your a ****ing retard...
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

3rd Gear

Status
    Soz Uncle have only just found this thread again so why have you come to that conclusion mate ? Do you agree with the sailors selling there stories to the newspapers then ? And if you do agree with them selling there stories Why.

Beer God

Status
    Soz Uncle have only just found this thread again so why have you come to that conclusion mate ? Do you agree with the sailors selling there stories to the newspapers then ? And if you do agree with them selling there stories Why.
    I agree with what you said, just not the way you said it...

They are Iranians, not Afghans, if your gonna read the Daily Star then ignore the news and just look at the tits and saucy problem page...
    Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

3rd Gear

Status
    I was just sat here at work listening to talk sport & thought wait a minute they were captured by the Iranians not the afghans, I even started the thread with afghans i must stop reading the Star, thank you unkle for so politely bringing the fact to my attention by the way you have spelt uncle wrong you k--t lol