Kit car help

rusty1983

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good general kit car forum? Or are there any experts here?

Im looking to start a project (lotus 7, caterham style) on a budget as always...

Im currently looking to spend up to £1000 on an incomplete project from ebay. There are so many options, I could do with some advice..

My aim to make the fastest thing i can for minimal spediture (probably sounds familiar). The Dax Rush, MKs and Tigers are along the lines of what im thinking... Love the bike engine idea but cant get to grips with why these are more expensive...

Help please...

Sorry. I ment that was my budget..Ive seen a few for that sort of money go on ebay in various stages..From chassis and tsuspension components to full chassis, suspension, engine drivetrain, brakes, the lot...Its spotting a good one. Thre ius this at the moment which im unsure about.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260103245579&rd=1&rd=1

They seem to be too inexpensive, there must be a reason.

Any advice would be great..I plan on doing a lot to customise whatever i buy..

would not buy that as engine will need fully stripped down as he has not covered carbs water any thing could of got down there considering were it is kept.probably find rust in the cylinders..what an **** keeping it there looks like he has abandoned it in the middle of a forest

The drive train he is using is classic for most kit cars as most fordie parts of that era are easy to rig up on kit cars....If i were you i would find a donor car like capri or a cortina if they are still about ....was a guy on here a wee while ago got a Audi 100 and install the whole running gear and suspension on to kit car ...just need to read up on spec of the shell you are considering using

I built my speedster - but that was before I found the world of internet forums. Hence lots of swearing and cursing and shouting at the manufacturers for having such a bad build manual. Good luck.

Rev is right, anyway a V8 in a kit car sort of defeats the point, they are supposed to be light and nimble, and with a big Rover V8 up front they will never be!
The second car has a ford Pinto engine in it, and looks standard (not rebored) as you can take them out to a 2.1 and get about 170bhp from them if you lighten and balance, coupled with a high lift cam and some good carbs.
I'm a bit of an expert on these old ford engines so if you need any engine/gearbox advice give me a shout.

My budget can not stretch near this Robin Hood.. This will go for at least £3000 (3 x my limit). I understand it is worth spending as much as possible upfront to save money in the long run, but i cant really go much over this limit. I agree with the the V8 comment. Small light and nippy is the key. Anyone got any suggestions. Are there chassis designed for bike engines...A part build bike engine project is the ultimate for me.. but a pinto engine based car would be a great first project for me..

Bike based ones will always be more expensive as custom parts are a necessity, as the engine isn't designed to drive a car!

Pinto or Kent engine is the way forward IMO

Best bet is to look on a forum called www.locostbuilders.co.uk, i've been building a locost kit car (seven style), for a year or so now. Any help you need you'll find it on that site. I honestly think that you budget is unrealistic, kit cars seem to bleed you dry of money.You may pay 1000 for an un-finished kit, but then you've got to finish it and pass an SVA. You may be better paying for a locost that somebodys built and SVA'd and then tarting it up to suit what you like. Have a look on the for sale section of locostbuilders or try pistonheads, you should be able to get an older car, with a kent engine thats already road legal for around 1500-2000. Best of luck with it for this sort of money its alot of hard work and alot of thinking to get a nice car at the end.

Got to say, IMO the best car engine for a kit car has to be the Vauxhall C20XE. 150bhp standard and easily tuned, buckets of them around and very simple to work on.

got to add my vote for www.locostbuilders.co.uk, loads of really useful info available, get along to a local meet, see what other people have done and what cost they ended up with.
finished mine in 2002, so havn't built anything for a while , but then a kit car is NEVER finished...

chas

Cheers guys...

Some good advice..And thats the exact website i was looking for..I knew there would be a good one.

Please post any more help / cars for sale although i am constantly on both ebay and piston heads looking...