HMRC

Jamesh

Reaction score
Just received a letter from HMRC Local Compiliance office, there asking where my car was brought from and when. The letter says its nothing to do with my tax affairs, tried to ring the HMRC but the guy dealing with the case has gone home for the night. Anyone got any ideas what this is about and should I be worried?

Is it an import? Maybe the importer got off with the taxes somehow and they want them back off him

No it was brought from an secondhand garage and a UK car, I guess there investigating the garage I brought it from. I'm PAYE so wouldn't have thought there looking at me. Just worried the car not what I think it is, although I got it HPi'd when it was brought.

My friends Dad had this a few years ago on a Pug 306 he bought, I think its more to do with the garage/dealership not paying tax on it.

Yeah, don't worry, thay will only be interested in collecting revenue from the dealer. If you have a receipt they'll probab;y just be interested in the amount you paid for it. I suspect the trader has been undeclaring VAT.
I work as a Customs Agent, so know what they are all about.