Tyre bulge! instant change?

doeboy

Reaction score
I have a bulge about the size of a 2 pence piece in one of my tyres. they're not that old and at 150 quid a piece not cheap. the bulge is sticking out 4ml or so. I doubt it will pass its mot which is 6 or so months away. how dangerous is it basically? And given that it along with the other on the axel are partly worn will I need th change both? if that wasn't bad enough he rears will need doing in 6 months too

they're pilot sports on 225-40-18's

Always change tyres in pairs.

I certainly wouldn't feel safe driving round on a tyre with a damaged wall.

You should change the tyre, you could have a blow out at any point, ( & at 70mph on a motorway), that wouldn't be good

All of above and its a 3 point and 60 quid offence if stopped by the police.

Its damaged so change it, don't be putting any form of lotion or potion on it as that will attack the rubber and make it worse. Once it's damaged it's damaged i'm afraid!

This happened to me and eventually the tyre let go on the M27, completely came away from the sidewall all round. Luckily it was my wife who was driving at the time (and it was her who clipped a curb to cause the bulge in the first place). It was on the offside rear so she managed to keep it under control, no harm done, but it could have been disastrous. Get it changed.

i would immediately change the tyre.. its weak and could quite easily blow out at any stage.

hint... keep away from kerbs and pot holes in future :)

AndyMac said:
This happened to me and eventually the tyre let go on the M27, completely came away from the sidewall all round. Luckily it was my wife who was driving at the time.

Nice to know you were concerned Andy. :applaus:

I'd change the tyre matey, its not safe basically - i wouldnt bother getting 2 tho especially if its fairly new

is it kerb damage or a tyre issue, i just had a Avon ZZ3 replaced because the inner sidewall was split all the way round, turned out to be a manufacturing defect.

fortunately with it being on the inside there was no way they could have been kerbed so they didn't really have a leg to stand on.

Go and get the tyre turned round on the wheel so the bulge is on the inside and then you could claim it couldn't possibly have been curbed and must be a defect.

Well i've had my alloys re finnished sooooo..... i still have the receipt somewhere, i was thinking of going back to the place and crying defect... no rim damage you see ;)

What I would do is change the tyre ASAP and ask for the tyre with the bulge, I would then drive to some Chavvy area and dump it and then watch for hours of fun whilst the little chavvy kids try to get the tyre over the tallest lampost, you could even take your mates and have bets on which little chavvy will actually chuck it high enough to loop it over the lampost

The bulge you describe is called a carbunkle, this is where the plies in the wall have given way and the pressure within the tyre has pushed out the wall in the weak spot, it normally follows a kerbing or similar.

When you drive and pressure is put on the tyre, it can cause the carbunkle to burst, causing a large hole in the wall which will lead to rapid deflation and possibly loss of control.

Change it asap.

A4Quattro said:
Tell me about it!!

What you want to know, as im listening !

I nicked my last lot of wheels from the Unigate milkman, the car now sticks to the road like glue but im f----d if i can get the ****** to go faster than 5mph :(