Camera Flash - Do'h... any thoughts ?

hop2407

Reaction score
Whilst approaching (not exceeding the speed limit) a set of traffic lights with a camera mounted on the top, they decided to change to amber as I was right on them (well about 6 foot behind).
Looking in mirror there was a car right on my **** and as they were just amber, i continued through as I didn't want to brake hard and have the other car hit me up the ****.
As I continued and in parallel with the traffic lights, the other car moved into the next lane at the side of me and we both went through - ****** - double flash. Not sure if the camera got me or the other car but the other car was ahead of me in the other lane when the flashes occured.
I await the NIP but if it does come to me (only 2 flashes so i guess it only got 1 of us)..

1> When it comes, do i write back and ask for the photographic evidence stating the above reasons and hope the other car is in the photo, corroborating my story
I think this the leads to me going to court to defend myself doesn't it - Any thoughts on my chances. I'm anticipating their response in that I should have been slowing down for the lights anyway and equally, if he had hit me up the ****, it would have been his fault - so i should have stopped.

2> Do I think **** it and pay as I guess they have analysed the photo and warrant the NIP.

Thoughts lads ? and if it makes any difference in terms of a witness, there was someone sat at the side of me.

Well i have been studying this area of the law with great depth as i was suppose to be speeding a while ago and got NIP and going through the motion of trying to make these guys work for there money

If i was you i would wait till you get the NIP through the post before worrying about anything

http://www.pepipoo.com/

If you go here and read up on similair cases they might help

Or will they try do both of you, 2 for 1!
Hope nothing comes through for you mate.
Was the light still orange when they flashed, and how far past were you when the first flash went.

Well I've recently got my NIP for speeding in October last year, got my court appearance this coming friday, I'm hopeful of avoiding a ban and 6 points, was doing a crazy 59 in a 30 in broad daylight, so my bad and I will plead guilty!

59 in a 30 isn't good JoJo, but then you don't need me to tell you that :no: :)
Where in derbyshire were you hop? If you read up how the traffic light cams work, they don't generally activate for a couple of secs after the light has gone red. Did the other guy cross the line behind you, and then overtake you accross the junction?

1. All that flashes does not produce tickets.

1.1 I have been flashed twice without receiving a ticket.

2. There is a significant delay between the light turning red and the camera flashing. I think its about 2 seconds. was the light red before you reached the otherside of the junction?

3. If you get a post it. you will be in the picture with a red light on the pole, the position of your car will confirm at what point you crossed the light in terms of time and light colour.
3.1 If it flashed twice (took two images) then the relative and actual speed of the two vehicles can be determined

4. if you choose to go to court your defense is that you assessed that continuing on amber represented the lesser risk of an acident as confirmed by the relative speed of the two cars.
If it was a joint speed/red light camera then it flashed twice because of the speeding car not the red light

Downside.

If your car was less than 2 metres from the lights at 30mph you crossed the line when the light was still on amber and as a result you would have crossed the junction before the camera became active and would not have been flashed. are you positive it was less than 2 metres ?

60 mph = 1760 yards per minute /2= 880 yards per min at 30mph

That is = to 14.6 yards per second.

You say :I was 2 yards from the line when the light turned to amber.

you covered those 2 yards in about 1/5th of a second

That is to say, the light was still on amber when you crossed the line, giving you enough time to travel at least 30 yards before the camera became active. Are you positive it was 2 yards ?

If you are in the frame with a red light you are usually done for.

The image will show two cars in different lanes. This will not support your assesment of the risk.

They usually get very pissy if you ask to see the images and take you to court.

As your witness was in your car, they are not independent and will have no value in the court assesment.

What you should do.

Pray for number 1 above.

hope this helps

Many traffic light camera's are not live. This happened to me last year in the opposite order. I hung back from a set that were red, knowing the sequence as I drive through them everyday. When I knew they were about to go green I sped up and went through them exactly as they changed to green but by then was doing about 50mph. Got flashed as I guess they're calibrated to think I must have jumped them to reach the trigger point from a standing start. So I phoned the local police and they kindly informed me that they were setup as a "frightener" and weren't live. This is important as they don't allow any leeway when setup just to scare people. Live ones provide a couple of seconds either way so hopefully this is the case for you.

Wow - Thanks lads - Great write ups...

I cant be certain (just pretty sure) I was about 6 foot (maybe double)from the lights as they changed to amber, so I'm guessing they were red as I was on them.
I didn't actually check my speedo but feel sure I wasn't speeding as I am aware of the camera on the lights - but didn't know they had speed cameras on lights - I thought it was just a camera to see who went through on red.
If what A6Avant says is the case - I may have been over 40mph but I very much doubt it (it is a road with 2 lanes in sheffield - cant remember road number but it goes toward meadowhall from Norton roundabout (after tram lines (manor top is it)) and its just before a roundabout that takes you on to the parkway (I wouldn't call it a dual carrigeway though as speed limit is 40mph))

I was passed the just otherside of the junction when it first flashed ( 20 feet ish from the lights)

I'll wait and see - upto 14 days is it before I receive a NIP and if it's after should I assume one wont be coming ?

Thanks again lads - appreciated

jojo said:
Well I've recently got my NIP for speeding in October last year, got my court appearance this coming friday, I'm hopeful of avoiding a ban and 6 points, was doing a crazy 59 in a 30 in broad daylight, so my bad and I will plead guilty!

Had a friend that got cought doing 59 in a 30, he got 6points a large fine, but no ban, but then he did have a clean license.

Good luck for tomorrow

If your speed was 40mph then the distance traveled before the camera went live is approx 40 yards. This sounds better if feet.....one-hundred and twenty feet.....

Good luck

jojo said:

Lol Jojo, you sound like my bro up there in Brumi, what is it with all you Brumies and the crazy driving? I defenatly know it ain't the nice smooth roads. I've just gotten flashed doing I thinnk 38mph in a 30. maybe I was 40. any hows I'll try me best to avoid it good luck Joe (lol just ******* you off):moa:

Defratos said:
Lol Jojo, you sound like my bro up there in Brumi, what is it with all you Brumies and the crazy driving? I defenatly know it ain't the nice smooth roads. I've just gotten flashed doing I thinnk 38mph in a 30. maybe I was 40. any hows I'll try me best to avoid it good luck Joe (lol just ******* you off):moa:

thank for the support Def, question is though... did you take one for the team?? :moa:

Sorry for the hijack Hop, you will be fine bud.

jojo said:

Good luck in Court. Do you want me to come and 'represent' you.....??:laugh:

yeh, good luck Joe. Let us know what happens :icon_thumright:

Sorry for the hijack Hop, you will be fine bud.

No problems matey - I hope everything goes sweet for you and in your favour (as well as can be hoped anyway)

jojo said:
Got 6 points and a £250 fine!, but at least I can still drive. :) :racer: :)

Well I guess thats probably the best you could have hoped for (other than thrown out of court with a warning :no: - but I guess that was never gunna happen)

So, best be drivin even more carefully now then..

Happy motorin - like u said, still behind the wheel - nice one...