Chipping / xenons, Sat nav and stuff? Wisdom required.

Zoom Zoom

Bunny Boiler Magnet
Reaction score
Hi here I go again with the questions within 24hours but...

What mileage / age is it bad to chip...or doesn't it really matter? The car I have in mind is a 2001 S3 with 60K on the clock.

Does an 2001 S3 Sat Nav display a compass as I've seen on some pics of Audi Sat Nav's? Can you upgrade the map software and include Points Of Interest i.e...Speed Camera locations?

Can I fit some gadget to bluetooth through the stereo/TV/Sat Nav?

And finally regarding the current S3 i'm considering buying, when I put the lights on..the driving lights are the blueish xenons but the side light bulbs and full beam are the yellow(usual on most cars) colour. I thought the main beam would of been extremily bright xenons.....the yellow ones are just garbage..:confused:

Cheers

PJ

Chipping (or remapping) a car is really dependent on the condition of the engine, and the car as a whole. If it's been well looked after, with clean oil and a good power output in standard trim a remap will be fine. A good tuner will check the car over and advise you of this.

I'm not totally sure if the RNS-D shows a compass on-screen, but my RNS-E provides a compass in the DIS display, between the dials (simply N, NE, E, SE etc). You can upgrade the software with the latest maps, but you cannot add POIs like speed camera locations. It's just not possible right now unless Audi release a DVD with this included.

Bluetooth is no problem - in fact, you can fit Bluetooth kits to all models regardless of the stereo fitted. There's an interface to all of them.

You can change the sidelights to match the Xenons more closely, although they're not perfect. I've done this on my car by fitting Philips Blue Vision sidelight bulbs. They're about a fiver delivered from eBay. Note that blue LEDs will work but will show a bulb failure warning on DIS, thanks to their lower wattage.

Hope this helps! :)

RNS-D does show a compass on a separate screen, press the right knob when on the map screen and it will appear!