Car Covers

emzino

Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if Car Covers are a good idea for cars? I mean the longest i'd use it for is about 2weeks but because the potential car I am purchasing is Imola Yellow, it is quite delicate to small imperfections.

So, is there a particular kind of car cover I should purchase or are they a bad idea altogether?

Thanks in advance.

ive got one, its a kind of grey breathable type off ebay, it fits nice and although isnt waterproof it protects the car without rubbing the paint off! its soft like a cloth so as long as your car is clean before you put it on it wont scratch. i bought it because my drive has trees around it and it stops sap and leaves getting on the car if its left parked for a few days. just make sure that no grit or bits get in the cover before you put it on.

You do have to take into account if you have a Cab, because they need different covers

If you do want to use one, you'll need to spend over £100 to get a proper breathable fabric. Don't put one of those £30 from Halfrauds jobs on as you would be asking for trouble - they can scratch, cause the car to 'sweat' and worse of all, I know of one which stuck itself to the paintwork on a mates car when it got too hot.

I've got a cover for my Speedster which I use if I ever go away and have to leave it outside. Was about £130 from memory and fully tailored to the car.

I also bought a tailored one from a company in America, it cost me over 200 quid and it wasn't even the best one they did. It was Kimberly Clark material which was great but the car has to be clean when you put it on, so I rarely used it and in the end i swapped it with a friend.

Waste of money if you ask me, get a house with a garage.

im so paranoid about getting dirt or anything in the cover or on the car before i fit it. last time i used it was when i went on hol for a week and had to leave the car on the drive. i waxed it twice before putting it on.

I can't comment on that particular one from Halfrauds - just heard that disaster from a mate. I think his was something like £20 from Argos.

Mine is from Thoroughbred covers - http://www.thoroughbred-covers.co.uk/. A mate bought one for his A4 cabrio which he can't get into his garage and he hasn't had any problems.