TESCO 99 RON SUPER UNLEADED/FUEL PROBS

JayB5UK

Reaction score
Anyone use this? Know where it comes from and after the news today, had any trouble running their fuel?

I live in the area where they originally piloted this many months ago. Been running my Ibiza on it permanently for many months, and go 50:50 between this and V-Power in the S3.

Not had any problems - it is 99Ron (so only V-Power can match it), plus with the bio fuel component at 5% you can claim it is a 'green' fuel.

Honest John from the Saturday motoring column only recommends three fuels - V-Power, Ultimate and Tesco Super - thanks to their additives.

My understanding of fuel is that there are only a small number of refineries across the country, and that each make their own base fuels which supply all the oil company depots in the immediate locality. What happens next is the oil companies add their own additives (or not in the case of some supermarket fuel) and then sell it as their own. So the key is not the base product, more what additives has it been given.

GSB1 said:
The news today has had nothing specifically to do with the 99ron fuel from what I have seen.
Yeah I know, was just using the same thread to cover both, got me thinking.

I use the 99RON and have had no probs, been using it for quite a while, cheap too, if I drive 12 miles to fill up for the fortnight, i can get it for about 85p. The BP Ultimate in my town is 95p!

I use 99ron Tescos in Hatfield no problems BUT
Read Straight from the BBC website

Drivers tell of 'contaminated' fuel fury

Drivers across the South East say their cars have been affected
As petrol retailers investigate reports of contaminated fuel, drivers have been contacting the BBC News website with their own experiences.

Jonathan Earl from Barnston, Essex filled up his Vauxhall Vectra at Tesco in Harlow. He says 10 miles down the road something went wrong with the car.

"It started misfiring and juddering. I think it happened as the engine started burning the fuel I had just bought.

"I am not aware of any permanent damage as yet, but I am still trying to run the fuel down."

Wesley Williams from Milton Keynes bought his petrol on 16 February at his local Tesco. It began losing power three days later. When he took it in for repair he says the garage told him his car was not the first with these problems.

"They were surprised at the number of cars they'd had with a similar problem. The fix they're proposing is the same as the others - a new sensor.

"I'm now out of pocket by £220. My car's still in the garage while they get the part, and I have an eight-month old son who needs taking to nursery. If it is Tesco's fault I'd like them to pay for it."

A couple of dealerships have got 20-odd cars sitting there waiting for oxygen sensors

Mechanic Dave Odell

Helen Perry was driving home to Standon, Herts, last week when her car lost power and began to judder. She says she had last filled up her Peugeot 307 at Morrisons in Welwyn.

"I had to pump the accelerator pedal. The engine could only get up to about 2,000 revs and no further."

She was forced to abandon her car at a garage for repairs.

"At the garage they said they'd had a few with the same problem. Even when I was collecting my car, someone else was picking up theirs. The same thing had happened."

Some garages say they're unable to cope with the excessive number of breakdowns.

Mechanic Dave Odell, who works at a garage in Northampton, says they have dealt with about 10 vehicles in the last week.

He says all the cars had broken oxygen sensors.

"A couple of dealerships have got 20-odd cars sitting there waiting for oxygen sensors. 90 per cent of them relate to one particular garage."

It was a similar story when John Butland from Peterborough took his Fiat Brava into the garage after it lost power. He says the staff there blamed petrol from Morrisons and Tesco.

"They told me I was about the tenth person they'd seen that week with the same problem."

"They drained the fuel and put in £20 worth from a different garage. It's running well now, but I'm expecting a biggish bill."

I am keeping an eye on the beast

Yeah, I've been getting 99 RON from Tesco recently as well, this has put me off though tbh. Cant be having dodgy petrol. I think I'll go back to V Power now...

Hmm, now I think about it, there were load of people in yellow jackets with what looked like copper containers at Tescos Sandhurst on Monday. I assumed that it was trading standards running a check on the pumps - i.e. making sure that 1 litre actually equalled 1 litre.
Perhaps they were doing some other checks in relation to this.

As an aside, I'm sure I read somewhere that in the days of 4 star leaded petrol and unleaded being sold side by side, that on average 1 tank of fuel in 25 that should have been unleaded will have actually have been leaded due to mistakes either at the refinery or by the delivery driver filling the underground storage tanks at the garage.

I have a tank full of Tesco's go-go juice now and can't say I can notice anything wrong and I'm in bad need of a service. Might give the next 1 a miss though, screw the club card points unless Audi are gonna start taking them for repairs! Is Sainsbury's OK? Won't use Esso or BP they're a rip-off!...

Blue_Turbo said:
I have a tank full of Tesco's go-go juice now and can't say I can notice anything wrong and I'm in bad need of a service. Might give the next 1 a miss though, screw the club card points unless Audi are gonna start taking them for repairs! Is Sainsbury's OK? Won't use Esso or BP they're a rip-off!...
Clubcard points, they ****** should do. You shoula actually get a free week's shopping when yuo pay dealer prices for a service!

You will probably find that the people that have had problems are people running there cars on the wrong type of fuel. Or Mens wifes filling the Porsche Cayen up with cheap normal unleaded. Or a Ferrari F430 with the same. Or in reverse some old todger with an 1996 Ford Fiesta sticking 99 ron Fuel in it prob wont be doing it the world of good.

sounds more like a lead replacement additive has been added to the petrol as the majority of cars affected have burned up the oxy sensor/s.

or something like fuel line cleaner maybe? (think pub barrel cleaner) it should'nt be in the pump lines but it happens! so you can see why the cars are having problems! they all got the ****'s!!!!!!

glad i use the shell v power! saying that most of the cars affected by this are less than 5 yrs old, so my 11yr old should be fine anyway