Chris NottVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Unhappy When it rains, car won't start!!?!

Hi all,

We have a 1994 Golf Mk3 (1.4 petrol, 120k miles) as a second car and it really doesn't like getting wet!!

Have had problems in the past, for example when driving through big puddles the car would just cut out completely and would then need to be left to dry before it would start again. Took it to the garage, they said something about "damp starting", and apparently fixed the problem. This was 5 or so years ago.

The problem did improve, but never seemed to go away and has recently got worse. So much so that now whenever it rains, the car simply won't start. It needs to have a good 24 hours of dry weather before it will then start again.

Engine turns over fine, just doesn't fire up. Anyone know what could be causing the problem (and don't say "water"!). As in what specific component(s) it is that may be getting damp and therefore affecting the car starting up? Once the car does start it runs fine.

Thanks all.

Mike
    Current: Daytona Grey A6 2.0 TDI S-Line 2008
    Gone: Denim Blue A4 2.0 SE 2001

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    I had this on some old Fords I used to own as a student. Basically, water is getting into or around the spark plugs, distributor or the coil. To get the car started quickly, use WD40 or another water dispersant and spray it liberally over the these parts, including the leads themselves. Then try the car again and after a short time it should start.

For a more permanent solution, I think you can get some wax-based sealants that spray on - however, this was all many moons ago so I don't know what's around these days!
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

6th Gear

Status
    Try the above, some spray on sealant should help your problem
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!

VOIP Dude

Status
    Agreed. Wait til it rains (or preferably do it before it starts to rain) then spray some WD40 or other water dispersant around the leads, plugs etc.

I would think that it may be caused by a fine crack in the distributor cap, broken down leads, earthing problem or something like that which when it rains and the air becomes moist any component with a small problem suddenly becomes a much bigger problem.

One thing you can do, is take the car somewhere REALLY dark - where there is no street lighting or other light. Start it up and look for small sparks anywhere around the ignition components. DO NOT TOUCH any of these components when the engine is running. If you see some sparks, the component(s) where the sparks can be seen are probably breaking down and need replacing.
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black

6th Gear

Status
    As per above I had a realy annoying small misfire on my Mk3 VR6 which would only happen in damp conditions. The dealer sprayed water from one of those hairdressing water sprayer things and the spark was evident by the distributor cap and ht leads.
    NOW - Audi S3 Facelift - Sprint Blue, RNS-E Sat Nav, SDS, Bluetooth Phone Prep, Bose, Cruise, Buckets, FBMFSW, Adaptive Lights, Int Light Pack, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Piano Black Inserts, Through Load, Auto Dim RV Mirror/Wing, Auto Wipers/Lights, Folding Door Mirrors, Heated Seats, Ipod Dock, Front Arm Rest, Rear/Front Parking Sensors, 1st Aid Kit, Rear Arm Rest, H + R Springs, Front 15mm Spacers, Rear 10mm Spacers.

2nd Gear

Status
    Yeah agreed. Get someone to turn it over at night, whether or not wet outside and check for sparks, they will be very evident!
    Surprising how long HT leads can be overlooked for. Would also suggest a new Distributor cap, rotor arm and spark plugs while you're at it for what they cost.
    2001 VW Passat 130 TDi Sport 6 Speed
    1999 Honda CBR900RR-X FIREBLADE

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JayB5UK
    Surprising how long HT leads can be overlooked for. Would also suggest a new Distributor cap, rotor arm and spark plugs while you're at it for what they cost.
    Yep - as well as potentially curing the damp starting problems, you're certain to get a smoother engine which will deliver better performance and economy, too.
    2004 A3 Sportback 2.0TDI SE, RNS-E Sat Nav SW0650 TMC, 17" Star Alloys, Xenons, DIS, Rear Mats & Sunblind, Alu trim, Ebony Black pearlescent
    2006 Honda Accord EX i-CTDI, Arctic Blue, Leather, Sat Nav, XCarLink

1st Gear

Status

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys. I'll give it a try at the weekend. I did notice a spark once when trying to start it, seemed to be coming from the starter motor.

A trip to Halfords is in order to buy a few new parts methinks!

Cheers all.

Mike
    Current: Daytona Grey A6 2.0 TDI S-Line 2008
    Gone: Denim Blue A4 2.0 SE 2001