San Fransisco/Las Vegas

d3fy

Reaction score
Website
d3fy.co.uk
Guys, loved NYC.

Thinking of booking the flights and hotels for San Fransisco/Las Vegas. Anyone got any recommendations for nice hotels in both? Anyone got married in Vegas and how easy was it? Any other things to do!

Cheers

Went to San Diego and drove up to Vegas for my honeymoon. Both places were nice and the drive up was excellent (hired a convertable Mustang).

Stopped in the Luxor and it was awesome. Would definately recommend :icon_thumright:

San Fran and Vegas are both awesome places. In Vegas, I've stayed at the Las Vegas Hilton, which was nice but off the strip, and the second time we stayed at the Flamingo opposite Caesar's Palace. This really was fab - real flamingos and penguins at the back of the hotel amongst the swimming pools!

Incidentally, we stayed there the weekend before 9/11, which means it always stands out in my mind as one of the happiest times before everything seemed to go bad.

For San Fran, I've stayed in two (one was an awful Travelodge), the best being The Shehan not far from Nob Hill. Good value, and it had a nice, small café/restaurant and a basement swimming pool!

d3fy said:
Think the Sheehan has gone bust ?

http://www.sheehanhotel.com/

Would you recommend staying Wharf area or Nob Hill/Union Square?
Oh that's a real shame! :bye:

The Wharf is where a lot of the tourist activities run from, such as trips to Alcatraz and other bay tours, and it's always busy with lots of shops and restaurants.

However, Nob Hill and Union Square may appeal more because it's more upmarket. Still lots to see and do, but you'll certainly be away from the pack.

Was in the USA in january. Flew to vegas. drove to grand canyon via hoover dam, then drove to Hollywood to see the sign then back to vegas! Did 1300 miles in the hire car!

Will go back cause I love the states and I enjoyed vegas. Stayed in the Venetian and it was superb. The rooms are huge. If doing it again I would take a helicopter tour from vegas to see the grand canyon.

Avoid Vegas as weekends as that's when everyone descends and all the hotels put their rates up. I stayed during the week and when I was there you were hard pushed to pay much more than £40 for a night in any of the 4 star hotels. Just pick which of the themes floats your boat.

Defo worth visiting Hoover Dam although the tour is reduced post 9/11. Grand Canyon is also driveable but not a day trip (unless you fly as colinra suggests), as is Death Valley - about 3 hours from memory.

As to SF - I've stayed at the Ramada at Fishermans Wharf - not exactly the nicest hotel in the world, but I've stayed in far worse. I found Fishermans Wharf a bit tacky compared to the rest of SF. A bit more like a traditional british seaside with quite a bit of tat and rubbish. Second time I stayed in the centre - can't remember the name of the hotel - but it was clean and comfortable. Just have a look on expedia and the like to see what offers are on.

In terms of things to do in SF - Golden Gate, Cable Cars, Alcatraz (go with the free ranger tour if you go to Alcatraz as you get taken into areas of the prison that you aren't allowed into unaccompanied). I also went to Sausilito (spelling?) across the other side of Golden Gate - a very posh and pretty little town with lots of very flash cars and good views of SF(that's where a lot of SF's money lives). If you are into mountainbiking, worth paying a visit to Mount Tamalpais in Marin County where Gary Fisher et al 'invented' the sport in the 1970s.

You'll definitely enjoy it!

colinra said:
Was in the USA in january. Flew to vegas. drove to grand canyon via hoover dam
I've driven from Arizona to the Hoover Dam, then Boulder City and on to Vegas. There's some real killer drives in the States, one reason I've been there eight times in six years! :icon_thumright:

I've driven from LA out past all the interesting stuff via san francisco and back to LA, now that's 3000+ miles and one of the best experiences of my life.

The holiday inn at fishermans wharf in san francisco is actually pretty good and it's a good spot. Think pretty much all the hotels in Vegas are great, if you want a really good one get a fountain view at the bellagio, think I'd be temped by the Hardrock hotel or the stratosphere myself though.

If you have time, Grand Canyon is a must.

I'd also suggest any of the following if you have time...

Death Valley
Monument Valley
Zion Canyon
Bryce Canyon
Yosemite
Taking a walk along the strip at night
Alcatraz - you'll need to book upto a week in advance if it's a busy time of year.
Glen Canyon / Lake powell / Page area is lovely even though there's not much to do.
Pacific Coast Highway in a convertible.
Airshow at edwards airforce base (if you just happen to be there at the right time), or just pop out for some breakfast at Indian Springs and watch / hear some jets take off.

Can you tell I want to go back yet... ummm.... where's the credit card.

I went to Vegas then LA and then onto San Fran in 2005. Was a great holiday.

I dont think you can go far wrong with most of the hotels in Vegas. My favourite was the bellagio though. I stayed in Fishermans wharf in San Fran and I thought down town was better tbh. Fishermans was a bit tacky and we went downtown most days as you could see all of fishermans in a short time. You have to go to the restaurant Houstons though when in San Fran, was really good. Could find it on a map if need be.

How long are you going to each location for?

Thanks guys, keep it coming. Well thats the thing Soupie69uk I'm not sure yet? I was thinking 7 nights in San Fran, then 4 nights in Vegas, then flying back to NYC for another 4 nights, then home?

Stuff we really want to do,
Yosemite
Alcatraz
Grand Canyon (Helicopter?)
Golden Gate Bridge
hoover dam

But won't be driving out there.

Oh Yeah, and get married in Vegas, possibly under the sign
welcome_sign.jpg

I would say a week is too long to be honest in San Francison. I would say you could see enough in 4 days. I would either save the cash or add another day to NY and Vegas.

Not been on here in a while.. but just seen this thread.. I am going to vegas in May with a couple of mates, will let you know what its like d3fy... btw did you get a Sub??

Caesars is great place to stay ......worked there last year 37 restaurants everything you could want in one place

Let us know cjp2k how you get on and where you stayed. Yup got the sub date, chickened out of getting it in NYC and bought it from my local jeweler, which worked out well as I got a nice discount for cash

Right no horror stories please. The holiday is booked, staying in San Fran (Nikko - Union Square) for a week, Vegas (Treasure Island) for a week and then 4 nights in New York (Hotel 57).

Has anyone got married in Vegas, how easy was it?

d3fy said:
Right no horror stories please. The holiday is booked, staying in San Fran (Nikko - Union Square) for a week, Vegas (Treasure Island) for a week and then 4 nights in New York (Hotel 57).
Well thanks very much for that post. I've just turned green with jealousy ...

Thanks Lottie there is no way on Gods earth you will get me on that thing! We will be there for the first week in September still in the low 30's i think.

Can't wait!

Right I'm off to get hitched on the weekend, any last advice on San Fran or Vegas, things I must do, see, good restaurants?

d3fy said:
Right I'm off to get hitched on the weekend, any last advice on San Fran or Vegas, things I must do, see, good restaurants?

Take your bride with you - don't just pick any tat off the Vegas strip...

Pan Pacific in SF is nice and very central. Not too expensive when booked through Expedia.

Recommend Virgin Atlantic to get there. Probably the best airline I've flown with (or tied for 1st with Singapore Airlines)

Macduff said:
Recommend Virgin Atlantic to get there. Probably the best airline I've flown with (or tied for 1st with Singapore Airlines)

Ditto and Ditto. :icon_thumright: