Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    Rollin on boost mother hubbards

Status

Anyone tried these (speed camera detector)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOICE-CAR-RADA...QQcmdZViewItem

Just found this by accident, was wondering if they where any good as they seem to be a cheap price. Arn't the Road Angel ones like 300 quid? how would somthing like this compare and would it really work? I wonder what its range would be.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Radar/Laser detectors are pretty old hat these days as they will "go off" at every traffic light and shop doorway you get close to. The Laser detector is pretty pointless as laser guns only emit a detectable pulse when aiming at your car, so really just a confirmation that you've just been done by a mobile trap, so expect a NIP in the post. Detectors also cannot warn you of the new SPEC's average speed camera's which are now being deployed on motorways, and I don't think they even work on Truvelo either as these use infra-red, not radar.
    GPS devices are far more reliable with no false alerts, and for laser the only defence is the illegal laser jammer (Target garage door opener). For full protection you need both.
    If your licence is only worth £29.99 to you then I'd save your money and take your chances. RA's are available for around £150, and a much better investment. Laser Jammers are £280.

Status
    Laser Jammers sound fun

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    I've seen a test in a magazine which compares all these speed detectors and they found the ONLY one that works (to an extent) is the Road angel, they said all the others just never did anything, so sounds really bad. As for laser jammers my bro has one installed in his car (got it from e-bay very cheap) and it goes of like mad when there's a police car around, it's really cool as most of the time you don't even see the cops until 10 secs later (when you're all nice and ready for 'em)
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac
    Radar/Laser detectors are pretty old hat these days as they will "go off" at every traffic light and shop doorway you get close to. The Laser detector is pretty pointless as laser guns only emit a detectable pulse when aiming at your car, so really just a confirmation that you've just been done by a mobile trap, so expect a NIP in the post. Detectors also cannot warn you of the new SPEC's average speed camera's which are now being deployed on motorways, and I don't think they even work on Truvelo either as these use infra-red, not radar.
    GPS devices are far more reliable with no false alerts, and for laser the only defence is the illegal laser jammer (Target garage door opener). For full protection you need both.
    If your licence is only worth 29.99 to you then I'd save your money and take your chances. RA's are available for around 150, and a much better investment. Laser Jammers are 280.
    Agree 100% with Andy i would take his advice

2nd Gear

Status
    If the police couldnt do your speed because you had a Laser Jammer, would they not pull you to find out why and then also try to find out if you have a garage?

Dave
    1.8T A3 --- AmD RR @ 195bhp, 18" Pollished RS4's

Status
    Possibly, they might just assume their radar's playing up or they didnt set it right or somthing.

But why would they want to know If you have a garage?

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status
    well my bro's excuse is, it is a garage opener as well, so they can follow me all the way home to check . But I remembered something weren't speed detectors supposed to be illegal by 2007? because I want to get a road angel but I don't know if its legal or not? any ideas?
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

VOIP Dude

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Defratos
    well my bro's excuse is, it is a garage opener as well, so they can follow me all the way home to check . But I remembered something weren't speed detectors supposed to be illegal by 2007? because I want to get a road angel but I don't know if its legal or not? any ideas?
    I'd like to see if they make Road Angels illegal, considering it's really nothing more than an electronic map.

If that's the case then having a map with the locations of speed cameras marked on there in pen would also be illegal, surely. Even having a memory that you have previously driven past a speed camera would also be illegal as your brain would send you a message telling you there is a camera ahead. Maybe the government will push to have all motorists brains removed, that way they can fleece us for even more money, but there would also be a higher number of people with the right qualifications to become a polititian.

They could not possibly make them illegal, as they were originally put there "To slow traffic and prevent accidents" well that's only going to happen if you know the thing is there in the first place, right? That's all a RA does, lets you know it's there. You can still pass it at 100mph if you so desire, and you'll still get a ticket so as far as I am concerned, there is nothing illegal going on.
    Spence

Gone at 80k: 2007 A3 Sportback 2.0T S-Line S-Tronic Mauritius Blue
    (4 S-Tronic boxes, 3 Mechatronics Units, 2 Dual Mass flywheels, 2 sets of engine mounts)
    Gone at 32k: 2005 A3 Sportback 2.0TDi 140 S-Line DSG
    Ebony Black

Status
    Most mobile traps are run by Scamera partnerships not the feds so they would have no interest in stopping/chasing cars. The error it throws up is quite common so they'd simply move to the next £60 donor.
    The only trouble you could get into is if you start taking the piss and repeatedly drive past the same trap. They would then definately tie up the fact that the same car threw up the same error multiple times.
    They can only ban RA's if they're also going to ban all GPS satnav systems as well, so it's never gonna happen.
    There was talk of banning laser detectors (along with radar detectors), but this hasn't been pushed through yet, and would be pretty impossible to enforce. I think Blackspot do a firmware download to disable the built in laser detector on the RA2.
    But why is anyone worried about using an illegal device, but happy to illegally speed? Seems like a slight double standard to me.

3rd Gear

Status
    They are looking at making the laser detector bit of a gps device ilegal, i have the snooper gps laser detector device, I queried this with snooper and they state that if the government decide to ban laser detectors that snooper would disable the laser detector in my unit free of charge, in my view they will never get rid of gps systems due to it being a nice little earner and if they get rid of these devices then that would mean no sat navs either.

Neutral

Status
    GPS based camera detector systems are not going to be included in the ban, it is only laser detectors.

I have a Bel 550 and apart from detecting the fixed cameras, which are now mostly painted yellow anyway, it is a complete waste of money and doesn't get triggered by mobile traps, cost me a fortune as well a few years ago!