Message from 'The PM'

C_Audiboy

Vroom Vroom
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
This is the response from the PM over the whole scrap the pay as you go and vehicle tracking system.

I signed the petition, this is what I got via email. Its typical politician stuff - no decisions and a bit lengthy so if you've got 10 mins to read it feel free.......

[FONT=vera,verdana]The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "Scrap the planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policy" has now closed. This is a response from the Prime Minister, Tony Blair.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]Thank you for taking the time to register your views about road pricing on the Downing Street website.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]This petition was posted shortly before we published the Eddington Study, an independent review of Britain's transport network. This study set out long-term challenges and options for our transport network.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]It made clear that congestion is a major problem to which there is no easy answer. One aspect of the study was highlighting how road pricing could provide a solution to these problems and that advances in technology put these plans within our reach. Of course it would be ten years or more before any national scheme was technologically, never mind politically, feasible.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]That is the backdrop to this issue. As my response makes clear, this is not about imposing "stealth taxes" or introducing "Big Brother" surveillance. This is a complex subject, which cannot be resolved without a thorough investigation of all the options, combined with a full and frank debate about the choices we face at a local and national level. That's why I hope this detailed response will address your concerns and set out how we intend to take this issue forward. I see this email as the beginning, not the end of the debate, and the links below provide an opportunity for you to take it further.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]But let me be clear straight away: we have not made any decision about national road pricing. Indeed we are simply not yet in a position to do so. We are, for now, working with some local authorities that are interested in establishing local schemes to help address local congestion problems. Pricing is not being forced on any area, but any schemes would teach us more about how road pricing would work and inform decisions on a national scheme. And funds raised from these local schemes will be used to improve transport in those areas.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]One thing I suspect we can all agree is that congestion is bad. It's bad for business because it disrupts the delivery of goods and services. It affects people's quality of life. And it is bad for the environment. That is why tackling congestion is a key priority for any Government.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]Congestion is predicted to increase by 25% by 2015. This is being driven by economic prosperity. There are 6 million more vehicles on the road now than in 1997, and predictions are that this trend will continue.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]Part of the solution is to improve public transport, and to make the most of the existing road network. We have more than doubled investment since 1997, spending £2.5 billion this year on buses and over £4 billion on trains - helping to explain why more people are using them than for decades. And we're committed to sustaining this investment, with over £140 billion of investment planned between now and 2015. We're also putting a great deal of effort into improving traffic flows - for example, over 1000 Highways Agency Traffic Officers now help to keep motorway traffic moving.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]But all the evidence shows that improving public transport and tackling traffic bottlenecks will not by themselves prevent congestion getting worse. So we have a difficult choice to make about how we tackle the expected increase in congestion. This is a challenge that all political leaders have to face up to, and not just in the UK. For example, road pricing schemes are already in operation in Italy, Norway and Singapore, and others, such as the Netherlands, are developing schemes. Towns and cities across the world are looking at road pricing as a means of addressing congestion.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]One option would be to allow congestion to grow unchecked. Given the forecast growth in traffic, doing nothing would mean that journeys within and between cities would take longer, and be less reliable. I think that would be bad for businesses, individuals and the environment. And the costs on us all will be real - congestion could cost an extra £22 billion in wasted time in England by 2025, of which £10-12 billion would be the direct cost on businesses.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]A second option would be to try to build our way out of congestion. We could, of course, add new lanes to our motorways, widen roads in our congested city centres, and build new routes across the countryside. Certainly in some places new capacity will be part of the story. That is why we are widening the M25, M1 and M62. But I think people agree that we cannot simply build more and more roads, particularly when the evidence suggests that traffic quickly grows to fill any new capacity.[/FONT]
[FONT=vera,verdana]Tackling congestion in this way would also be extremely costly, requiring substantial sums to be diverted from other services such as education and health, or increases in taxes. If I tell you that one mile of new motorway costs as much as £30m, you'll have an idea of the sums this approach would entail.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]That is why I believe that at least we need to explore the contribution road pricing can make to tackling congestion. It would not be in anyone's interests, especially those of motorists, to slam the door shut on road pricing without exploring it further.[/FONT]
[FONT=vera,verdana]It has been calculated that a national scheme - as part of a wider package of measures - could cut congestion significantly through small changes in our overall travel patterns. But any technology used would have to give definite guarantees about privacy being protected - as it should be. Existing technologies, such as mobile phones and pay-as-you-drive insurance schemes, may well be able to play a role here, by ensuring that the Government doesn't hold information about where vehicles have been. But there may also be opportunities presented by developments in new technology. Just as new medical technology is changing the NHS, so there will be changes in the transport sector. Our aim is to relieve traffic jams, not create a "Big Brother" society.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]I know many people's biggest worry about road pricing is that it will be a "stealth tax" on motorists. It won't. Road pricing is about tackling congestion.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]Clearly if we decided to move towards a system of national road pricing, there could be a case for moving away from the current system of motoring taxation. This could mean that those who use their car less, or can travel at less congested times, in less congested areas, for example in rural areas, would benefit from lower motoring costs overall. Those who travel longer distances at peak times and in more congested areas would pay more. But those are decisions for the future. At this stage, when no firm decision has been taken as to whether we will move towards a national scheme, stories about possible costs are simply not credible, since they depend on so many variables yet to be investigated, never mind decided.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]Before we take any decisions about a national pricing scheme, we know that we have to have a system that works. A system that respects our privacy as individuals. A system that is fair. I fully accept that we don't have all the answers yet. That is why we are not rushing headlong into a national road pricing scheme. Before we take any decisions there would be further consultations. The public will, of course, have their say, as will Parliament.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]We want to continue this debate, so that we can build a consensus around the best way to reduce congestion, protect the environment and support our businesses. If you want to find out more, please visit the attached links to more detailed information, and which also give opportunities to engage in further debate.[/FONT]

[FONT=vera,verdana]Yours sincerely,

Tony Blair[/FONT]

Yeah, got that too. Was impressed he took the time to reply, but still - ******** to it all :D

Notice he didn't mention anything about it being used for speeding fines.

I had the response as well - apparently it went to all 1.76M people.

To be honest I only skimmed through it, but this caught my eye...

"Tackling congestion in this way would also be extremely costly, requiring substantial sums to be diverted from other services such as education and health, or increases in taxes. If I tell you that one mile of new motorway costs as much as £30m, you'll have an idea of the sums this approach would entail.Tackling congestion in this way would also be extremely costly, requiring substantial sums to be diverted from other services such as education and health, or increases in taxes. If I tell you that one mile of new motorway costs as much as £30m, you'll have an idea of the sums this approach would entail"

Hello? THIRTY MILLION POUNDS for a mile of motorway???????

Does that sound f***ing ridiculous to anybody else?

I am truly gobsmacked and more than a bit appaled. :no:

Yeah, I'd like to see a break down of that £30m tbh. Surely the materials wouldnt come up to even a quarter of that. Planning probably costs the most paying some road designer a fat wage or sommat.

The actual construction work including materials and labour will be nowhere near that amount as you said the money goes higher up the tree.

but I would also love to see a costing breakdown of the job.

Materials and labour will come to about a quarter of that

Markup you're talking anywhere between 15% and 30% depending on the contractor doing it

Delays etc are charged at an incredible rate per day

then planning

plus all the road diversions etc which cost alot

Construction work is all silly money, and half these companies still fail to make money out of it

Got the email too - didnt bother to read it but i got the jist!

£30 million - how many back handers is that??

Love the fact that close to 2 million people protested against it and the jist of the mail basically ignores that saying that it could still come into play.

I would bet my car that this doesnt go ahead. The costs involved are crazy and people just wouldnt put up with it.

I am sure i read somewhere examples of what certain people would pay. It worked out that a mother using a car only to take / pick the kids up from school and the odd run to the shops would be paying over £80 a month.

I would bet my car that this doesnt go ahead. The costs involved are crazy and people just wouldnt put up with it.

To be fair though, all the other ***** the gov throws at the British public and we all just have the odd moan but still get on with it. Somthing tells me this will be the same.. I hope he's right about it taking 10 years though, at least gives us some fun yet ;D

IIRC the BBC did a trial run with 3 different types of motorist - that's where the figures came from. I agree that a school-run-mum should be charged that much 'just' for running little Johnny 1/4 mile, except where the journey is necessary but only because of remote location rather than boneidlebastarditis. How quiet are the roads at half term??

What a cop-out Blair's reply is though. Not that he'll have written it, that'll be one of his Gimps' work.

Hmmmm. but what if "school-run-mum" chooses to drive a massive 4x4 1/2 a mile in rush hour. needlessly slowing down people who actually need to drive to get to their location while spewing out tons of emisions while the car is still warming up making multiple un-nessesary short trips?

Might encourage a few people to think about walking or alternatives when its not really needed to drive a huge vehicle around. If you spend a lot of time on the roads you know how ridiculous it's getting. I started driving 4 years ago and the difference is insane.

The most notable thing for me is when I first started driving I could take a nice drive down some country roads around Hampshire late at night and hardly see anyone, a nice fast run was great for relaxing and having fun. If I tried that now there would be loads of people on those roads and I'd have to wait until 3 in the morning for it to be as dead. Theres just that more cars on the road.

Again I used to be able to leave my house a couple of years back about half 7, get on the M3 and it would be relativly clear. Try that now and after 10 mins you hit the slow traffic. And its only going to get worse...

Rich said:
Hmmmm. but what if "school-run-mum" chooses to drive a massive 4x4 1/2 a mile in rush hour.

While I agree on what you say here, charging her per mile is not going to stop her doing it as the cost involved for 2 1mile runs per day is tiny, compared to me driving 35,000 miles for work and 10,000 miles a year for personal reasons.

OK, so my company would pay the 35,000 mile portion. But what does that mean? It means our product goes up in price. So does everybody elses. So not only am I paying for the 10,000 miles I do personally, but I am also paying more for everything else because everything else now costs more to produce and deliver.

OutLore said:
It means our product goes up in price. So does everybody elses. So not only am I paying for the 10,000 miles I do personally, but I am also paying more for everything else because everything else now costs more to produce and deliver.

Whilst I agree with you, the same is true when any production cost increases. As the largest production cost is generally your wages,,, it explains why a lot of employers are now more than happy to employ the army of immigrants (legal or otherwise) that this Government have allowed into this Country to do your job on the cheap.....!!

The point being,,,that once that happens, you won't have to worry about how many pence per mile it costs to get to the Dole Office.......

Rich said:
Yeah, I'd like to see a break down of that £30m tbh. Surely the materials wouldnt come up to even a quarter of that. Planning probably costs the most paying some road designer a fat wage or sommat.

So what if it does cost £30million per motorway mile gordon brown rakes in £40 billion per year from fuel duty and road tax and spends only £7 billion on road programmes.So we are £33 billion out of pocket if brown in 1 year only spent the money he extorted from the motorist you could build 1100 miles of motorway.

Or more realistically commit to doing it over 10 years.Afterall he's got the money 6 times over.

As I said in a previous post, I would be all for such a scheme if it would guarantee less congestion (as work would have to pay for most of it).
But we all know it wouldn't change a thing, and everyone would just have to pay up and still be stuck in traffic every morning.
I still think the whole thing along with the petition is a cleverly crafted PR stunt, but no idea now what the hell it was supposed to achieve. Maybe it was purely to shutup the Green Party.
Pleased to see the petitions up & running though, at least it has raised huge awareness of the proposed scheme, and the public feeling against it.

Just Plain Old said:
The Labour Party will not be in power in 10 Years time........... Hopefully this scheme will 'die' with them.....!!

Here here as they say in parliament

I got the email response as well. Hotmail was sensible enough to put it in my junk mail folder which is where it belongs :Flush: