can this be right

motorbikez

Reaction score
I thought blair and co were trying to reduce road usage my wife has just got her new tax disc for her 2006 ford fiesta 1.4 tdci £50 for 12 months,:wtf: fine you might say.

I got my tax disc for my fireblade £60 for 12 months wheres the sense in that motorbike takes up third of the space on road never causes congestion (unless you fall off).If they were serious about lowering road congestion motorbikes should pay nothing.

As far as am led to believe road tax's changed sometime in 2005 to being based on the emissons that your vehicle produces. I may be wrong though. Maybe something to do with that? :readit:

Bikes make more of a mess to clear up when they get taken out by a fully paid up 4x4.

Hear Hear, and ******* "bee in a bucket" scooters should be priced off the road.

AndyMac said:
Hear Hear, and ******* "bee in a bucket" scooters should be priced off the road.

you mean Poof Chariots.

I dont mind motorbikes but when you get those that you can here coming and going for miles does my fooking plums right in. Never see them getting stopped by the police but the police will stop you coz you have a nice well kept car. :motz:

Beerzo said:
you mean Poof Chariots.

I dont mind motorbikes but when you get those that you can here coming and going for miles does my fooking plums right in. Never see them getting stopped by the police but the police will stop you coz you have a nice well kept car. :motz:

its a safety feature on a bike, means dozy car drivers who do not see bikes may have a chance of hearing them... there are some twats on the road, and they treat PROPER bikes as if they are invisible!

as for scooters..pah.. dont get me started on these little *&^**

claudefrog said:
its a safety feature on a bike, means dozy car drivers who do not see bikes may have a chance of hearing them... there are some twats on the road, and they treat PROPER bikes as if they are invisible!

Yeah true you do get your normal bikers ( my Dad is one which is slighlty worrying ) and then you get your twats that wont sit in traffic for any sort of time and instist on racing up the outside of cars as fast as they can, they deserve everything they get as when they are nipping in and out like that you can see how easy it would be for a driver to miss them coming.
Just like everything you get the normal people that stick to the rules and do things as they should then you get the others the spoil it for everyone.

I'm sure all the residents of the roads that are disturbed by the antisocially loud exhausts are grateful for that "safety feature".

why sit in traffic when you can breeze to the front and accelerate away without causing anyone else inconvenience? i'm sure there may just be a hint of jealousy aimed at the freedom bikes have.

and lets face it guys, how many of us go out of our way to make our cars noisier by fitting aftermarket exhausts, there's a red Nova driving around Bradford at the moment which is far noisier than my GSX-R1000

Here here shiney dave if we start talking about noise my bike is totally standard no noisey race can.
What about those fuc-ing dickheads with boom boom stereos blaring their ****** music to all and sundry.

Got nothing against bikes but there are a lot of twats out there on them that come screaming up behind you with their full beam blazing in broad daylight and sit about 2 inches away from your rear bumper swerving in and out impatiently waiting to overtake you.

motorbikez said:
Here here shiney dave if we start talking about noise my bike is totally standard no noisey race can.
What about those fuc-ing dickheads with boom boom stereos blaring their ****** music to all and sundry.

You would have subs and amps to if you had somewhere to put them!

Just kidding them wee neds do ma chuckies in aswell.

I dont mind bikes that drive through the traffic at a reasonable pace but when they do it full full throttle high revving stuff they deserve a door to open or a car to pull infront of them as they are going to fast to be able to stop.

smitch said:
Got nothing against bikes but there are a lot of twats out there on them that come screaming up behind you with their full beam blazing in broad daylight and sit about 2 inches away from your rear bumper swerving in and out impatiently waiting to overtake you.

There are unfortunately twats driving all types of motor vehicles and they give the rest of us a bad name.Next time you see a bike in your rear view mirror move slightly to the left and they will be straight past no dought aknowledging your consideration.

batwad said:
I'm sure all the residents of the roads that are disturbed by the antisocially loud exhausts are grateful for that "safety feature".

I certainly am, living as I do on a 30mph road between a large branch of Infiniti motorcycles and the nearest set of twisty bends.

Been nice and quiet for the winter, but come a month's time they'll all be out racing around like a load of a***holes doing 80 past the school and the park sounding like a chainsaw on speed. Really clever.

I've even been overtaken by a bike whilst turning right into my road. A fraction of a second later he'd have been straight into the drivers side of my car and likely dead. I was pretty shook up and immediately thought that my indicator bulb at the rear can't have been working. But it was.

I'm thinking of organising a community police speedwatch team amongst the locals to try and stamp this stupid habit out. Either that or a clothes line stretched across the road or a bit of castrol GTX on the bend :think:

Why is it that bikers are perfectly happy to squeeze their bike between a two rows of cars nearly taking wing mirrors off to be at the front at a set of lights, yet when there is a motorcycle on his own, he sits in the middle of the lane. In that situation I'll always try and get as close to the bikers foot as I can without actually driving over it.

smitch said:

I like it when they sit in your blind spot, go roaring past, weave in and out of traffic just so they can get ahead of you, then get stuck at a set of lights.

:tocktock:

jcs356 said:
I certainly am, living as I do on a 30mph road between a large branch of Infiniti motorcycles and the nearest set of twisty bends.

Been nice and quiet for the winter, but come a month's time they'll all be out racing around like a load of a***holes doing 80 past the school and the park sounding like a chainsaw on speed. Really clever.

I've even been overtaken by a bike whilst turning right into my road. A fraction of a second later he'd have been straight into the drivers side of my car and likely dead. I was pretty shook up and immediately thought that my indicator bulb at the rear can't have been working. But it was.

I'm thinking of organising a community police speedwatch team amongst the locals to try and stamp this stupid habit out. Either that or a clothes line stretched across the road or a bit of castrol GTX on the bend :think:
Very wise encouraging people to strech clothes line across road has a biker been shagging your wife?

I must say that i can see both sides of the argument, I fell off a puch 50 auto when i was about 10 and since then i have been far too scared to get back on a motorbike, its not the bikes I'm scared of it's the other road users!
I have friends who like biking and some of their "near misses" stories are truly terrifying, people pulling out on them, slaming the brakes on and forcing them over the wrong side of the road!.. it's also true that some bikers seem to take uneccasary risks whilst overtaking ( i was once undertaken by some ***** on a ZZR something or other ON A BLIND SUMMIT??? WTF was that in aid of?).
I have always given way to bikes as it would be better to let them pass if they are in so much of a rush,( that is if i see them closing in on me) besides it'd save them kicking my mirrors off!
as for oiling the roads and laying traps ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR TINY MIND???? THAT'D BE MURDER M8!!! :no:

guys, i'm 46 this year so i'm not exactly a kid, when i ride my bike i like to wring it out much the same as the members on here like to do with their cars however the group i ride with have some rules

we don't EVER speed through villages and built up areas. why? because it's anti social, it gets you unwarrented attention and yes, you are likely to end up dead or killing someone else.

we don't do stupid overtakes for the same reason above, that doesn't mean to say we don't overtake but remember any half decent bike these days can accelerate and brake unbelievably quickly so what appears to be a dangerous manouvre is more likely to be reletively safe because of the power you have under your control.

and we always acknowledge a courtious driver who pulls to the left to let you past. it's only polite.

now i'm sure many of the anti-biking faction on here do similar things but if i was to go to the top of my road i can promise you i'd see bad examples of driving by all manner of motorists, that doesn't mean i label all car drivers as idiots, just the individual concerned. there's always one bad apple that spolils it for the rest of the bunch.

jcs356 said:
I'll always try and get as close to the bikers foot as I can without actually driving over it.

Why on earth would you want to do that to a biker who is positioned perfectly correctly in the road?

you've already admitted you do it on purpose so if you were to run over the bikers foot that would make it premeditaded common assault at the least, never mind a whole raft of motoring offences that you could be prosecuted for including dangerous, due care and attention and probably a shed load more.

that's a very dangerous game you're playing there to both other road users, your liberty and your license

motorbikez said:
Very wise encouraging people to strech clothes line across road has a biker been shagging your wife?
scrupes said:
as for oiling the roads and laying traps ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR TINY MIND???? THAT'D BE MURDER M8!!! :no:

Calm down, calm down - can't you take irony/sarcasm. Do you seriously think I'd do that or condone anyone else doing it??????

I spend plenty of time on two wheels myself doing battle with ignorant car drivers and dangerous road conditions. Ok, it's a bicycle rather than a motorbike but the risks are all still the same. I've been knocked off approaching a dozen times in getting on for 15 years of adult cycling - including loosing all my front teeth in one accident (no full face helmets for us push bike owners). I'm also more than aware of how dangerous oil or diesel is on a road having come within inches of being run over by a bin lorry in one accident and a bus in Parliament Square in another.

shineydave said:
Why on earth would you want to do that to a biker who is positioned perfectly correctly in the road?

you've already admitted you do it on purpose so if you were to run over the bikers foot that would make it premeditaded common assault at the least, never mind a whole raft of motoring offences that you could be prosecuted for including dangerous, due care and attention and probably a shed load more.

that's a very dangerous game you're playing there to both other road users, your liberty and your license
Pleas re-read exactly what I said. I am not attempting to injure the biker - what point does that serve? I am not some sort of crazed sadist or some meat head looking for a fight! All I said is I aim to get as close as I can without running over their foot.

The point I'm trying to make is that in a bikers eyes it is perfectly ok for bikes to whizz down between cars at speed with very little margin for error and to position themselves within a few centimetres of your car. However, when a bike arrives at lights suddently a mysterious 'zone' seems to appear around the bike into which a car shall not enter. I agree that quite wrongly in the eyes of motoring law and driver etiquette, I enter the zone around the bike.

And before you ask, no, I don't ride my pushbike between rows of cars to get to the front at lights. Been knocked off twice doing that so decided my life is worth more than getting somewhere a few seconds sooner.

Remember it is better to arrive late than not arrive at all.

Scouse-keyboard-eh-eh-eh-calm-down-calm-down-ANON.jpg

jcs356 said:
Pleas re-read exactly what I said. I am not attempting to injure the biker - what point does that serve? I am not some sort of crazed sadist or some meat head looking for a fight! All I said is I aim to get as close as I can without running over their foot.

So one would presume that sooner or later you will get too close and run over his foot. very mature.

i'm fairly sure that, in the event you did run over someones foot

1. you would injure someone
2. they would think you were a crazed sadist
3. you probably would end up in a fight

i'm pretty sure Richard Hammond didn't intend to crash the Vampire either but he did, accidents happen, that's no excuse though when you're deliberately aiming to do something so stupid.

we all have to share a very overcrowded road system, as mature responsible adults we should all be trying to make it safer for everyone.

At the end of the day i couldn't really give a monkeys if some biker riding like a cretin smashes into my car, i'm safe in a metal box and he ain't. I'll survive with my pelvis intact.

That's what i pay my insurance for anyway.

You can never settle the bike/car argument, we're twats, you're twats, blah, blah, blah.

It's all a bit tedious.....

shineydave said:
guys, i'm 46 this year so i'm not exactly a kid, when i ride my bike i like to wring it out much the same as the members on here like to do with their cars however the group i ride with have some rules

we don't EVER speed through villages and built up areas. why? because it's anti social, it gets you unwarrented attention and yes, you are likely to end up dead or killing someone else.

we don't do stupid overtakes for the same reason above, that doesn't mean to say we don't overtake but remember any half decent bike these days can accelerate and brake unbelievably quickly so what appears to be a dangerous manouvre is more likely to be reletively safe because of the power you have under your control.

and we always acknowledge a courtious driver who pulls to the left to let you past. it's only polite.

now i'm sure many of the anti-biking faction on here do similar things but if i was to go to the top of my road i can promise you i'd see bad examples of driving by all manner of motorists, that doesn't mean i label all car drivers as idiots, just the individual concerned. there's always one bad apple that spolils it for the rest of the bunch.

well said, i enjoyed my r6 without being an idiot in towns and villages. i also had a race can on it but i didnt do 12,000 rpm up a high street, because not everyone enjoys the sound of bikes like i do, and what is the point in having a bike if your not going to go past a que of cars? people in cars just get a little jellous because they get stuck in traffic and bikes dont! if it annoys you get a bike too!

smitch said:
You can never settle the bike/car argument, we're twats, you're twats, blah, blah, blah.

Entirely agree Smitch. That's what makes us all individuals with our own personalities and passions. indeed that's what leads to healthy debate and discussion of which i truly enjoy taking part.

what i don't enjoy is someone advocating, whether in jest or not, that clothes lines should be strung across roads, oil poured on corners and attempting to see how close one can get to someones foot with a ton and a half of car.

about 2 years ago some idiot decided to pour diesel on some fast corners on the Cat and Fiddle because he had an objection to bikes using it, a close friend of mine has a limp that will be with him for the rest of his life and had to learn to write with his other hand because of that. i'm sure you can understand now why i am so passionate in my defence of this subject.

jcs356 said:
Calm down, calm down - can't you take irony/sarcasm. Do you seriously think I'd do that or condone anyone else doing it??????

I spend plenty of time on two wheels myself doing battle with ignorant car drivers and dangerous road conditions. Ok, it's a bicycle rather than a motorbike but the risks are all still the same. I've been knocked off approaching a dozen times in getting on for 15 years of adult cycling - including loosing all my front teeth in one accident (no full face helmets for us push bike owners). I'm also more than aware of how dangerous oil or diesel is on a road having come within inches of being run over by a bin lorry in one accident and a bus in Parliament Square in another.

The point I'm trying to make is that in a bikers eyes it is perfectly ok for bikes to whizz down between cars at speed with very little margin for error and to position themselves within a few centimetres of your car. However, when a bike arrives at lights suddently a mysterious 'zone' seems to appear around the bike into which a car shall not enter. I agree that quite wrongly in the eyes of motoring law and driver etiquette, I enter the zone around the bike.

And before you ask, no, I don't ride my pushbike between rows of cars to get to the front at lights. Been knocked off twice doing that so decided my life is worth more than getting somewhere a few seconds sooner.

Remember it is better to arrive late than not arrive at all.

You are the one who wants to calm down you still haven't appologised for that stupid statement about stretching a clothes line across a road and pouring oil on a corner some moron did this last year on a cycle track near whitehaven and a 14 year old boy ended up in hospital with a broken neck broken arm and severe bruising.
Obviously so f--cking moron with a grievence against cyclists.

And likewise as shiney dave I've been around a while I'm 47 and NEVER speed through towns or villages and treat all road users with respect and always aknowledge curteous drivers.

motorbikez said:
You are the one who wants to calm down you still haven't appologised for that stupid statement about stretching a clothes line across a road and pouring oil on a corner
OK

I'm sorry for making that stupid and irresponsible statement, and I apologise for offending people.

Once again I would like to clarify that this comment was originally mean in jest but I accept that I did not make this clear enough in the original post.

Even if I had made it clear that this was a joke, I agree that it was in very bad taste given that as you said motorbikez, people have been seriously injured or even killed as a result of people pulling this sort of irresponsible stunt.

I therefore once again unreservedly apologise for any offence caused.

jcs356 said:
OK

I'm sorry for making that stupid and irresponsible statement, and I apologise for offending people.

Once again I would like to clarify that this comment was originally mean in jest but I accept that I did not make this clear enough in the original post.

Even if I had made it clear that this was a joke, I agree that it was in very bad taste given that as you said motorbikez, people have been seriously injured or even killed as a result of people pulling this sort of irresponsible stunt.

I therefore once again unreservedly apologise for any offence caused.

Fair enough appolgy accepted nuff said on the matter now.

i cant believe the attitude some people here have for motorbikes....

i have the utmost respect for anyone on a PROPER motorbike, so what they come to the front of the queue if your there.. they will always get away infront of you without causing you any delay, yes they sometimes sound a little loud, but there are hundreds of cars out there with chavved up exhausts that make more of a racket that SOME motorbikes with a different system from std

99% of riders have a lot of respect for their lives and the lives of others, so will drive vrey sensibly through villages etc... yes.. there are a minority who won't and give others a bad name... same as the "boy racers" we are all branded with the same stick that we race everywhere, and have no respect for other road users. I do not like being tarnished with that brush, i respect my car, and my licence, and generally do not drive like a d1ckhead.

think about it folks... that motorbike in your rear view mirrow can be past in 1 second.. just pull slightly to the left of your lane, he/she will be past within a second or 2 and a quick wave to say thank you and they will be on their way not inconvieniencing you anymore :)