Workplace Laws & Regulations

RichA3Turbo

Reaction score
Anyone know anything about workplace law i.e. how much of a break you are ntitles to for working X amount of hours??

Rich

Rich,

It all depends on your contract and working rule agreement with your employer.
The guys on the site I run are entitled to a 1/2 hour break after the first 4 hours, then a 10 minute break every 4 hours thereafter. Not exceeding working past midnight.
There is a new Ec directive that defines the maximum times.

<font color="blue"> Rest breaks – daily and weekly

What entitlement is there to rest breaks during the working day?

A worker has the right to a break of 20 minutes if required to work continuously for more than six hours. The break should be taken during the six hour period and not at the beginning or the end of it.

The breaks do not have to be paid unless the employment contract provides for this.

What rights do workers have to daily and weekly rest periods?

A worker is entitled to an uninterrupted rest period of 11 hours between each working day and one uninterrupted weekly rest period of not less than 24 hours in each 7 day period. The weekly rest period can be taken as either 2 periods of at least 24 hours in each 14 day period or 1 uninterrupted period of no less than 48 hours in each 14 day period.
</font>

There are exlusions to this though, so I would check your contract of employment before tackling your employer if you have issues. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

the working regulation is if i can remember

if u work less than 4 hours u are entitled 15 minutes paid break.
if u work 8 or more hours u are entitled to a 1/5 hour break.(this can be changed at discrepancy of company)

and an 11 hour rest period.

(this is not text book but in word which is easy to understand)
just remember if u smoke and u take a break for a cig which is under 14mins and 59sec u have to be paid for it.

i use to work in HR, i spent most my time working from a bench outside smoking.

(this is not textbook but in my own words for u to understand).

[ QUOTE ]
viper said:
the working regulation is if i can remember

if u work less than 4 hours u are entitled 15 minutes paid break.
if u work 8 or more hours u are entitled to a 1/5 hour break.(this can be changed at discrepancy of company)

and an 11 hour rest period.

(this is not text book but in word which is easy to understand)
just remember if u smoke and u take a break for a cig which is under 14mins and 59sec u have to be paid for it.

i use to work in HR, i spent most my time working from a bench outside smoking.

(this is not textbook but in my own words for u to understand).

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys!

Rich