Snow+AWD=Idiot.....sometimes..!!

Sinny71

S55 LKS
Reaction score
I've just been out and its apparent that some people have way to much confidence in there cars, and way to little respect for other road users. This is always 4x4 drivers but I have just followed some idiot in an Allroad for a few miles.

Rather than follow the tracks made by other traffic he thought it was great fun to drive up the middle of the road throwing snow over the tracks us mere 2wd mortals need. Not only that, but he insisted on slowing right down until I caught him up and then accelerating up to the rear of the car he was following.

Now I dont know whether he was doing this because he thought it was fun or whether he was showing off seeing a lesser Audi in his mirror.
But he pulled this stunt 4 times, probably scaring the person in front. The 5th attempt didn't go as well though and as he accelerated and started going down hill the person in front braked. Silly I know but some people dont have much of a clue how to drive in snow. Anyway, they slid a little and then continued down the hill without the brakes.

The clever Allroad driver also braked, and hard due to the fact the idiot was accelerating, and he swerved or slid towards the kerb which he duly hit. By the time I caught up with him he was getting out, probably to inspect his alloys. I expressed my lack of sympathy in an appropriate manner as I drove by which he didn't seem to happy about. But he had himself to blame and no-one else. We all know some people cant drive in the snow and the sensible among us compensate for that be being cautious

Now I'm all for enjoying your car and what it can do, and I'm totally jealous of those with a quattro right now. But there is a time and place for it.

I'm not expecting him to be a member of ASN and I'm sure he'd keep quiet if he were anyway. But he found out today that Quattro isn't a cure for stupidity.

Yeah if you want to have fun in a Quattro take it to an empty car park out of the way of other cars people and property. Damn i wish i had quattro and a emtpy car park.
Would try to give it Colin McCrae!!!!!!!!

I've had fun going sideways this morning, but there's a time and a place. Sometimes I thing 4wd is more dangerous in the snow as it makes people think they can go faster..... .......until they try and brake!

I remember one time we were driving up the A77 (before it upgraded to an M) and anyone who drove this road will know what a passage of death this was. We were heading to Glasgow and at one of the sections where it split into a duel carraigeway a BMW driver had lost control and parked his loverly M3 literally up a lampost! As the traffic was going so slow you could see everyone going the opposite way in single file lol'ing their heads of at him, while he stood there all suited up looking well ******. My mate roll's his window down and shouted:

"Oi! You can't park that there!"

He actually tried to run after the car and if he hadn't slipped in his Jimmy Choo's he may well have caught us. :lmfao: I tell you, laugh?!?! I nearly bought a round.

Peloton said:
"Oi! You can't park that there!"

Hahaha, love things like that..!!

With the Allroad, I was laughing, shaking my head and was making a wanking jesture with my hand. That seemed to annoy him the most lol.

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Yeah the A77 was a death trap on a sunny day!

I had to make a documentary on that in my Uni days. Was well fun we got to ride along with the traffic police for a whole day!!!! Soo good.

The guy let a few lorry drivers off with speeding cause he bribbed them to give us an interview and he would let them off! Class!!

Plenty of muppets out there today! You would think people would see the danger in roads being covered in snow really! Sure theres going to be plenty of 'cruiser' sites with pics of smashed rides tonight...

I've always been cautious in the snow. As with two of my earlier cars, despite driving slowly, uneven cambers on side roads have caught me out and I scuffed an alloy or two.

But on getting the S3, I was a little two confident one day, a few years ago. Just an empty side street, frozen snow etc etc. Quattro, yeah great plenty of grip here I thought, started to brake, ABS cuts in, does nothing, giveway coming up...oh sh#t....I did manage to stop, just. But it was a little warning, quattro does not help stopping. It was very scary indeed. As a result I'm even more cautious now, I hate snow.

So Mr Allroad had it coming to him really, stupid, over confidence.

God knows how people in rwd cars get on.

AL

On my old Audi 90 there was a button to turn the ABS off, as far as i know there isn't one on my A4.

You could pull the fuse. You just get a nice orange flashy light on the dashboard. Had to put up with it for a bit myself not long ago until I replaced one of the sensors.

I do the same just pull the fuse on the ABS when there is snow because you aint stopping on snow with it on

It never fails over here...

We get 1.5 inches of snow and everyone looses thier minds.

And sure enough...its almost always 4x4 trucks and suvs that you see stuck in the ditch facing the wrong direction. :haha:

Justincredible said:
It never fails over here...

We get 1.5 inches of snow and everyone looses thier minds.

And sure enough...its almost always 4x4 trucks and suvs that you see stuck in the ditch facing the wrong direction. :haha:

I witnessed snow in Houston. Utter chaos!!!!

I was scared i was going to break the quatrro this morning, I turned orf the ESP to go to chavdas for my paper at 545 this morning and then thought id have a play in the car park on the way out Forgot to turn ESP Off and scared the living daylights out of me, makes a horrible whirring noise when it kicks in louder than the Indie cd i was listening to, twisted my melons man it did

Same thing, A4 non quattro here, braked as I drove out my road and slid across 2 lanes haha :D

Could feel the ABS going mental and doing nothing. I may try the fuse thing, tbh it must be easy to mod the redundant button I have to switch that fuse on or off :p

I was looking forward to going mental but forgot to switch the ESP off I would have had another go but had to get to work, now all the snow has gone back home

My ESP was going overtime in the S3 but I did not use the brakes very much this moring for the above reason.

I'll have to try the fuse thing next time(I did not know you could do that) and see what difference it makes :)

Leave a good distance between cars and you don't have any problems(Which most people can't grasp the concept of when it snows)

Havent you got a button to switch it off ?

Also engine braking as much as possible seems to help a lot. And yeah after my taster slide accross the road (luck its deserted) it was a nice reminder to leave a good distance. Shame about people behind me though..

You'd get more style points for sure, and maybe some for artistic merit as well. As for stopping, its unlikely.

Yeah, if you need to stop just whack it in reverse and floor it ;D *

* This may kill you and/or your car.

You'd probably be just as well opening the door and using the toes of your shoes, a la 1982 Grifter stylee.

A Grifter, that brings back memories mind. And every grifter in the world had the plastic bit on the back of the mudguard worn down where it had been folded under to make it sound like a motorbike. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The best advice on this thread was to use cadence braking. There's no need to pull the ABS fuse if you use this technique.

Mandala said:
The best advice on this thread was to use cadence braking. There's no need to pull the ABS fuse if you use this technique.

This is true, but at the end of the day if there's ice underneath, you'll slide regardless of what you decide to do.

Yeah I remember driving like a nob during my first winter as a quattro owner (hangs haad in shame) any hoo, a new set of wheels later, I have learnt to take the van out in the snow and ice now! much more predictable and as its not mine, it dont matter so much if it goes over the odd kerb!.

plenty of idiots out in their scoobys this week though! i had one overtake a row of about 5 vehicles (single carrigeway), I was willing his car to go sideways! i bet he thought he was our colin mc as he sped past the traffic!

****** idiot.

on the point of pulling the abs fuse, while i'm no lover of abs, its better than skidding sideways init? at least there's some form of control!