Hooray for Front Wheel Drive... wish I had Quattro!

nivagh

Reaction score
Following a BMW 5 series on ungritted roads in Bucks this morning and he was all over the place!
Porbably on an auto gearbox and trying to use first gear up a hill... duh.

Honestly though, I sometimes wonder about the South of England - the radio and TV weather forecasts say snow, the papers warn of snow and then when it actually snows, the councils look at the sky and wonder what the white stuff is and whether they ought to do something about the roads.

Have to drive back up to Yorkshire this afternoon. That should be fun. :(

my point exactly and i heard it again this morning on tv

why does the UK come to a complete stand still and panic when snow falls???

we should expect snow every year so why not prepare?

when i was in Chamonix last week, it dumped 40cm of snow over night. Within our group we had a few motorsport entusiasts and they were amazed at the speeds some of the people were driving in snow! they were still safe and in control though

Its not like we get as much snow as we used to when I was a lad but they do seem at least better prepared in the North East. Though it does seem that different councils deal with the snow with differing success. If I drive towards Newcastle the roads are usually clear, drive towards Durham and its the opposite.

well i do agree that there is now where near as much snow as previous years

i remember when i was a kid making 6ft high igloos and making mazes out of the snow for organised snow ball fights lol

aww to be a kid again lol

There's some pretty impressive snowmen around here. Some clever bunch of kids had also put a boulder, approximately three feet in diameter, in the middle of one road so cars were having to go around it.

I made a snowman earlier.

Can't post the pic though.:sorry:

Ok, my opposite neighbour has a 525d, and his drive is on a steep slope, and the road we are on is also a slope, so he's managed to roll it off his drive, but now it's right outside in the middle of the road, as he couldn't drive up it lol.

I managed to muscle my Passat TDI on 18's with budget tyres up the slope at snails pace using engine idle speed to get off my road. There was an enthusiastic Clio at the end with a bent wheel though, he obviously carried too much momentum and couldn't stop, so used the kerb to stop lol, too bad it wasn't the 'Gansta' mobile.

There was a guy stuck outside my flat this morning in an 1.8 A4, wheelspinning away with no grip. I felt like trotting down there, hopping in the quattro and zipping away with a grin on my face :)

But then I realised it was cold outside and I wasn't dressed :cold:

We had not gritting around here last night (Watford/St Albans)

It was a joke trying to get into work this morning!

I left at 6.15am (10 min drive) and it took me 1 hour as lorrys/vans were all getting stuck on the hill.

Thank god for 4 wheel drive(ESP was working well today)