Help with the law!

jcs356

Brum brum
Reaction score
Hi guys, hoping someone might know the answer to this.

Before Xmas I was involved in a very, very minor RTA. In fact, so minor, I didn't even realise I'd hit a car. I pulled around a stationary car (changing lanes at a queue to the entrance to roundabout) at about 5mph. I felt a tiny bump and was 100% confident I'd clipped the kerb on the central reservation. Rather than get out of the car and hold up a queue of traffic, I tought nothing more of it and continued home swearing and cursing at yet another kerb mark on my alloys. :keule:

When I got home, checked the wheels on the drivers side and found no damage. So checked the passenger side and discovered that some of the grey paint had come off the grey side rubbing strip on the bottom of the door - and hence worked out that I must have just clipped the back of the car I pulled round.

Being a good boy, I rang the local Surrey police station to ask what to do :unsure: . They said best report the accident in person, just in case. So I went down with all my docs and completed some sort of a report with the desk officer. :busted_cop: A couple of days later I get a letter back from them saying that the accident actually happened in Berkshire, (the county border is right next to the roundabout) and that all the docs had been transferred to Thames Valley Police who would be dealing.

The next week a 'Notice of Intended Prosecution' (or should that be persecution!) arrived from Thames Valley, listing three charges -
  • failing to stop after an accident
  • failure to report an accident
  • driving without due care and attention

I thought item 3 was a bit harsh, but accepting I'd obviously hit something, politely replied that I had already filled in all the forms with Surrey Police and that they had been forwarded to Thames Valley. I'd guessed that the letters must have crossed in the post.

So still waiting to see what they will prosecute me for - I can't see 1 or 2 sticking - how are you supposed to stop after an accident if you didn't even know you had one?:uhm:

Anyway, I was back at the place of the accident yesterday evening, and the sign at the side of the road clearly shows that the accident happened in Surrey, and not in Berkshire. OK, it was only in Surrey by 10 metres or so, but it was clearly Surrey and not Berkshire. So my original report to Surrey Police was correct and Thames Valley shouldn't have been involved.

So do Thames Valley have the 'jurisdiction' to prosecute me when the accident, as I correctly reported, happened in Surrey?

I appreciate it won't make any difference on the outcome - I guess I just plead guilty and apologise for wasting everyone's time and take the points and fine. :blownose: Fortunately I currently have a clean licence so a few points won't be so bad.

Sounds a bit harsh to me mate!

What i wanna know is how thames valley police knew there had been an accident if you hit the car so lightly?

good luck with it all though, sorry i aint much of a help!

Sounds to me like the only reason they knew you were involved in the 'accident' is because you reported it to them, not because the other person reported it.

Not entirely sure what will happen with the charges but i would definately recommend legal advice. You have still technically driven away from the scene of an accident, however you have reported it. Not sure about the third charge, the fact you didnt realise it had happened probably means that one will stick. Should be able to get them reduced if not cleared- it may have to go to court tho.

As far as the duristiction goes mate you may find that the police force boundaries do not match the actual county ones. i.e. the force boundary may well be the roundabout.

As far as the charges go they may have to report it as that but then they could recommend no action is taken. By way of an example;

Many years ago i was travelling along a street when some kind hearted old fella ran in front of my car. He hit the front of the car and flew over the top, obviously kicking at my car as he went mind as the wing, door and mirror were damaged. He was hurt but nothing was broken. It transpired that he was baby sitting and had left his grand-daughter in the house and had ran back when he heard her crying. I was travelling below the speed limit and both he and witnesses admitted it was his fault.
Anyway, the plod arrived and I had to accompany them to the station for statements etc. I recieved formal notification that I was being charged with dangerous driving but they'd recommend no further action be taken. That was the last I heard of it.

Hopefully mate something similar will happen in this case.

your screwed mate withdraw all your savings and ****** off to Brazil

From experience, police charges always sound a lot worse than they actually turn out to be.

Let em prove it, deny everything and unless there's video evidence you'll get away with it.

I've had situations where the police claimed to have "eye witness accounts" but they're full of it and just want you to admit it so they've got an easy nick.

I'd ignore it.

Just thought I'd update you on this one from a while ago. I received a letter from TVP this morning:

'After careful consideration of the available evidence and the surrounding circumstances, it has been decided that no further action will be taken against you at this stage. However, if circumstances change or further evidence is brought to the notice of the police, investigation into the incident may be reopened.'

Looks like common sense has prevailed. Phew.

thats what happens when you try be a gooood boy!!
if you wanted pay for the damage to the car you hit,:faint: it would have been best leave a note on the other cars windscreen.

Yeah, I appreciate that.

My problem was that I didn't even know that I'd clipped the other car - I thought it was the kerb. The other car had someone in it at the time and from the fact that they didn't jump out the car - I don't think they realised I had clipped them either.

I do feel guilty that there is someone out there with some grey scuffs on their bumper from my side rubbing strips. I have no idea who they are or how to contact them - the police won't give that information away. The only way I can find out is if they claim against my insurance - which from the lack of contact in the past 3 months, I assume they haven't.

Oh well, all resolved.

Why dont they spend there resources on catching proper criminals and leave innocent genuine people alone. Dont worry about it mate - let them do their worse

Good result, they were probably fishing for an easy 'win' to bump up their quota...